Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shelves on plasterboard wall

Hi,

I have run out of space to store my cds and dvds. I've looked in the
shops but not found anything suitable (do you know of anything?). So I
was thinking of putting up some shelves, which I might enclose to make
a cupboard. That way, it would keep the sun off them and stop them
fading. It would be quite a decent size, almost like building a
wardrobe.

The walls are plasterboard. I was going to use those slotted bars that
you slide brackets into for the shelving. Can I use plasterboard or
hollow wall anchors to hold these tot he wall, or would I be best
finding the studs to "future-proof" it against heavier loads? If so,
can anyone recommend a decent stud detector?

What would I use to fix the cupbaord to the wall?

I'd quite like to have tinted galss doors but I don't know where I'd
get the glass from; I guess it's a matter of getting the yellow pages
and calling a few glass merchants?

The other thought I had was to get two doors on a rail and have
sliding doors, like on a wardrobe. How do these work? Do I need a
track on the top and bottom of the doors?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Fred wrote:
[...]

Earlier today I included this in a post he

"I have used these very ones very successfully for cabinets with real
backs."

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?product=464&subCat=000

Doubt I'd be willing to fix them to plasterboard. Find the studs.

Not sure if you mean Spur shelving system or something else. How about
bookcase strips? :

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/products.aspx?subCat=19&parentCat=1/19

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

Spur type uprights have fixing holes at 250mm centres? Never measured, but
its about that, so a 1.8m upright will have maybe 8 fixing points - hollow
wall anchor in each spreads the load & makes it very strong. Easier to get
a sailor off your sister as they say.

Wickes do some nice strong ones
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Metal-System...ht/invt/530509

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:
Hi,

I have run out of space to store my cds and dvds. I've looked in the
shops but not found anything suitable (do you know of anything?). So I

When that happened to me, I copied all my CDs onto my fileserver,
and freed up lots of shelf space. I also find that I'm playing
them more now that I don't have to fiddle with the cases and load
them into a player. I've never much got into DVDs (I think I've
only got abut 3:-), but you can do the same with them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

Understood. I still wouldn't do it. But I was actually referring to the
cabinet suspension fittings! They would take the entire load of the
cabinet and its contents through a single wall plate (up to three screws
close together).

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

I have run out of space to store my cds and dvds. I've looked in the
shops but not found anything suitable (do you know of anything?).

When I ran out of space, I transferred all my disks to several of these sort
of things

http://svp.co.uk/product/amps_leathe...0_discs_0 186

Saves loads of space, and means you can take them anywhere you want, easily.

I have indexed all my DVD's in Excel, each place in the disk case is marked
A1, A2 etc. for the first case, B1, B2 etc for the second, etc..
You can then just do a quick search in Excel, and lay our hands on a
particular DVD very quickly!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spur type uprights have fixing holes at 250mm centres?

Spur is still imperial and uses a pitch of 1.25 in. The fixing centres
vary between uprights of different lengths, but will always be a
multiple of 1.25 in. On the 78 in. upright I'm looking at at the moment
it's 12 pitches, i.e. 15 in.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can I use plasterboard or
hollow wall anchors to hold these tot he wall, or would I be best
finding the studs to "future-proof" it against heavier loads? If so,
can anyone recommend a decent stud detector?

Stud detector. 7 quid in LIDL from Thursday.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...elliSensor.ar2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr, 12:47, Andy Wade wrote:
Spur is still imperial and uses a pitch of 1.25 in.

I'm not sure Spur is "still" anything. www.spurshelving.co.uk says
"Spur Shelving Ltd has recently ceased manufacture in the UK".
According to the London Gazette the company was dissolved in 2006.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

I have run out of space to store my cds and dvds. I've looked in the
shops but not found anything suitable (do you know of anything?). So I
was thinking of putting up some shelves, which I might enclose to make
a cupboard. That way, it would keep the sun off them and stop them
fading. It would be quite a decent size, almost like building a
wardrobe.
The walls are plasterboard. I was going to use those slotted bars that
you slide brackets into for the shelving. Can I use plasterboard or
hollow wall anchors to hold these tot he wall, or would I be best
finding the studs to "future-proof" it against heavier loads? If so,
can anyone recommend a decent stud detector?

What would I use to fix the cupbaord to the wall?

I had this problem a few weeks ago when fitting a kitchen in a new
house. It included 4 shelves going round 2 plasterboard walls.

These walls were the flimsiest walls I have come across since doing this
for a job.
I knew they were plasterboard walls, so bought a selection of fittings
from Screwfix in case of any problems. Of 4 or 5 types tried, only 1
fixing actually worked well - very similar to this one he
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11143/...s/Hollow-Wall-
Anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm-Pack-of-10

I got them from the local hardware store - the longest available,
probably 80mm long, maybe 100mm. They do not have a minimum wall
thickness, which I think some of the Screwfix ones do.
Once fitted, they were rock solid when tightened - fit them first
without shelf brackets, make sure they are tight, then just unscrew, and
refit - can be used many times, as they are a set screw, not a wood type
screw.

Of the other fittings he
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100067/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings

I could not recommend any for thin plasterboard walls. I tried most of
them, and all failed miserably.
Also, ITYF that the spacing between the stud fixings is nowhere near the
spacing you want to secure the cupboard, so at least one end will be
secured into the cavity.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
SNIP

I had this problem a few weeks ago when fitting a kitchen in a new
house. It included 4 shelves going round 2 plasterboard walls.

These walls were the flimsiest walls I have come across since doing
this for a job.
I knew they were plasterboard walls, so bought a selection of fittings
from Screwfix in case of any problems. Of 4 or 5 types tried, only 1
fixing actually worked well - very similar to this one he
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11143/...s/Hollow-Wall-
Anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm-Pack-of-10

I use the 5 x 52mm ones all the time. Agreed very strong fixing. The
setting tool is well worth £6.50 if you are using them regularly
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=12429

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I got them from the local hardware store - the longest available,
probably 80mm long, maybe 100mm. They do not have a minimum wall
thickness, which I think some of the Screwfix ones do.
Once fitted, they were rock solid when tightened - fit them first
without shelf brackets, make sure they are tight, then just unscrew,
and refit - can be used many times, as they are a set screw, not a
wood type screw.

Of the other fittings he
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100067/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings

I could not recommend any for thin plasterboard walls. I tried most of
them, and all failed miserably.
Also, ITYF that the spacing between the stud fixings is nowhere near
the spacing you want to secure the cupboard, so at least one end will
be secured into the cavity.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Russell wrote:

I'm not sure Spur is "still" anything. www.spurshelving.co.uk says
"Spur Shelving Ltd has recently ceased manufacture in the UK".
According to the London Gazette the company was dissolved in 2006.

Oh bugger, that's a shame.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
Richard Russell wrote:

I'm not sure Spur is "still" anything. www.spurshelving.co.uk says
"Spur Shelving Ltd has recently ceased manufacture in the UK".
According to the London Gazette the company was dissolved in 2006.

Oh bugger, that's a shame.

There are quite a few very close compatibles though...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:33:26 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Wickes do some nice strong ones
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Metal-System...ht/invt/530509

I haven't heard of all the brand names being mentioned so far but
these from Wickes are the kind of thing I was thinking of. Especially
if I do enclose the shelves, they won't be on view so it won't matter
what they look like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:30:02 +0100, "Sparks"
wrote:

When I ran out of space, I transferred all my disks to several of these sort
of things

http://svp.co.uk/product/amps_leathe...0_discs_0 186

Saves loads of space, and means you can take them anywhere you want, easily.

But what happens to your (now) empty cd cases? Surely they have to be
stored somewhere? Do you index each track on a cd or how else do you
know if you want a particular song?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:31:36 +0100, (A.Lee) wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I was thinking of using this type of hollow wall anchor. I am
amazed that such a tiny thing can hold a kitchen cupboard laiden with
heavy pans, crockery, etc. onto a plasterboard wall. I would have
expected only brick walls could be used to support these.

I agree the plastic varieties on the link provided look a bit flimsy.
I have found the metal easy drivers useful in the past, though not for
this type of thing.

Thanks again.

I think that's the shelving part sorted, now does anyone know about
sliding doors?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 17:09:55 +0100, "Vortex2"
wrote:

Stud detector. 7 quid in LIDL from Thursday.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...elliSensor.ar2

Thanks. I've never quite understood how these things work. Is it just
a metal detector that detects the nails in the studs? If so do you
have to find two nails and imagine a line between them where the stud
lies or is it something far cleverer than that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When I ran out of space, I transferred all my disks to several of these
sort
of things

http://svp.co.uk/product/amps_leathe...0_discs_0 186

Saves loads of space, and means you can take them anywhere you want,
easily.

But what happens to your (now) empty cd cases? Surely they have to be
stored somewhere? Do you index each track on a cd or how else do you
know if you want a particular song?

They are all in boxes in the loft out of the way!

The CD's are all transferred to the computer as MP3 files, all named
correctly, so finding a track is very quick with a search in Winamp's media
library, I can then play the music on any PC in the house, and if I want to
take them anywhere, I can copy the required tracks to the laptop or a
portable MP3 player

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:27:51 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I use the 5 x 52mm ones all the time. Agreed very strong fixing. The
setting tool is well worth £6.50 if you are using them regularly

Is there such a thing as a standard depth stud wall? Or is it a matter
of drilling a hole and measuring the depth of the drill bit? I don't
want to use a fitting that pushed out the other side! OTOH I don't
want to use one that is too small; I imagine you use the biggest one
possible, since it's arms will cover the largest area when collapsed
and provide the greatest support?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I use the 5 x 52mm ones all the time. Agreed very strong fixing.
The setting tool is well worth £6.50 if you are using them regularly

Is there such a thing as a standard depth stud wall? Or is it a matter
of drilling a hole and measuring the depth of the drill bit? I don't
want to use a fitting that pushed out the other side! OTOH I don't
want to use one that is too small; I imagine you use the biggest one
possible, since it's arms will cover the largest area when collapsed
and provide the greatest support?

Smallest I've come acros is 3". Unless someone knows different.

I use a 7" scratch awl from Wilkinsons to mark through fittings
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0209031 easy enough to put a bit of tape
on it - thenm push it straight through the plasterboard.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk