Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spare key source?

I have seen this type of key and lock usually on industrial equipment
and I'm wondering if a spare can be cut from a blank. In this case it
is on the gas bottle locker of my caravan and I only have one key for
it.

The part of the key which fits into the lock is tubular, with
protrusions inside the tube to match the lock. It is marked 'Southco'
and also bears a number. The lock itself has a matching circular slot,
the centre part of which is turned to lock and unlock.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Oct, 18:19, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
I have seen this type of key and lock usually on industrial equipment
and I'm wondering if a spare can be cut from a blank. In this case it
is on the gas bottle locker of my caravan and I only have one key for
it.

The part of the key which fits into the lock is tubular, with
protrusions inside the tube to match the lock. It is marked 'Southco'
and also bears a number. The lock itself has a matching circular slot,
the centre part of which is turned to lock and unlock.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Why not ask them?
http://www.southco.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain laid this down on his screen :
Would it be this one by any chance?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARAVAN-GAS-LO...mZ190254513846

http://www.thepenninegroup.co.uk/pro...3-product.html

That's it :-)

I thought they would be all different and need to be cut to fit the
lock, but neither seller mentions that.

Thanks a lot!!!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Owain laid this down on his screen :
Would it be this one by any chance?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARAVAN-GAS-LO...mZ190254513846

http://www.thepenninegroup.co.uk/pro...3-product.html

That's it :-)

I thought they would be all different and need to be cut to fit the
lock, but neither seller mentions that.

Thanks a lot!!!

I like the bit it "very secure and safe" do you think he checks for
scrotes that buy a universal key here

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
I have seen this type of key and lock usually on industrial equipment and
I'm wondering if a spare can be cut from a blank. In this case it is on the
gas bottle locker of my caravan and I only have one key for it.

The part of the key which fits into the lock is tubular, with protrusions
inside the tube to match the lock. It is marked 'Southco' and also bears a
number. The lock itself has a matching circular slot, the centre part of
which is turned to lock and unlock.

I used to have to drill these locks out of Solitaire Payphones when the
customer lost their key
http://www.nicomm.co.uk/Phones/Analo...322/p1357.aspx
Then fit a new lock complete with new keys.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:20:30 +0100, Kevin wrote:

I like the bit it "very secure and safe" do you think he checks for
scrotes that buy a universal key here

You are reading what isn't written.

"Secure" - Doesn't unlock due the vibration of the van whilst being towed.
"Safe" - See above, locker stays closed, no danger of gas cylinder
bouncing out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:20:30 +0100, Kevin wrote:

I like the bit it "very secure and safe" do you think he checks for
scrotes that buy a universal key here

You are reading what isn't written.

"Secure" - Doesn't unlock due the vibration of the van whilst being towed.
"Safe" - See above, locker stays closed, no danger of gas cylinder
bouncing out.

perhaps I needed to concentrate more at school :-)
but using the same logic why have a lock and key at all ?

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:20:30 +0100, Kevin wrote:

I like the bit it "very secure and safe" do you think he checks for
scrotes that buy a universal key here

You are reading what isn't written.

"Secure" - Doesn't unlock due the vibration of the van whilst being
towed.
"Safe" - See above, locker stays closed, no danger of gas cylinder
bouncing out.

perhaps I needed to concentrate more at school :-)
but using the same logic why have a lock and key at all ?

it's like the gas and lecky meter boxes, need to be kept closed so they dont
blow open and keep the weather out, but needs to be easily opened, hence the
low security key,

it just looks neater than a draw bolt screwed onto the front of the locker i
guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have seen this type of key and lock usually on industrial equipment
and I'm wondering if a spare can be cut from a blank. In this case it
is on the gas bottle locker of my caravan and I only have one key for
it.

The part of the key which fits into the lock is tubular, with
protrusions inside the tube to match the lock. It is marked 'Southco'
and also bears a number. The lock itself has a matching circular slot,
the centre part of which is turned to lock and unlock.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Why not ask them?
http://www.southco.com/

Because I don't know the name for the type of key yet and I couldn't find
anything like it on their site. I thought Timco type lock places might be
able to perhaps cut one, if I could find a name for the type of lock/key?

It is a Bramah type lock, although I would have though most people would
recognise the description cylindrical key lock. A true locksmith can
probably do one for you, but I'm not sure about simple key cutting places.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 00:05:13 +0100, Kevin wrote:

You are reading what isn't written.

"Secure" - Doesn't unlock due the vibration of the van whilst being
towed.
"Safe" - See above, locker stays closed, no danger of gas cylinder
bouncing out.

perhaps I needed to concentrate more at school :-)

No just be more cynical and be aware of marketing speak. Both politicians
and marketing types are very good at using words in such a double speak
manner.

but using the same logic why have a lock and key at all ?

It does keep out the casual opportunist tea leaf.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It's called a "pipe key"

http://snipurl.com/pipekey [books_google_co_uk]

Thanks anyway.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Oct, 21:20, Kevin wrote:

I like the bit it "very secure and safe" do you think he checks for
scrotes that buy a universal key here

Gas lockers are only fibreglass. If you're trying to steal the
bottles, just break it and save yourself the cost of a key.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Oct, 08:31, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:

It is a Bramah type lock,

It isn't. A Bramah is a tube with radial slots sawn in it. The bitting
of the key is controlled by the depth (and rarely the angle) of these
slots. There are no protrusions on the tube of a Bramah key, other
than a single one just to index it in the keyhole.

One spare available Prometheus Woodturning 0 May 2nd 07 12:24 PM
Source for AKAI spare parts nowadays Adrian Glaubitz Electronics Repair 1 April 14th 07 04:18 PM
Looking for source of spare parts for Dyson appliances (other than Dyson!) [email protected] UK diy 7 April 5th 06 02:43 AM
Got a spare V8? B.B. Metalworking 7 March 16th 05 07:37 PM
Source for spare part for Incra Jig JoeTaxpayer Woodworking 2 March 11th 05 11:53 PM