Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chasing in plastic pipes

In the past I have chased plastic pipes into a wall and plastered over
them - this was for a shower with concealed valve. All worked nicely.
However that was tiled, so I could not see is there was any plaster
cracking.

Can anyone who has chased in plastic pipes and covered them with
plaster, report if there was any visible plaster cracking later? I
notice the pipes do expand in length by a fair margin.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

In the past I have chased plastic pipes into a wall and plastered over
them - this was for a shower with concealed valve. All worked nicely.
However that was tiled, so I could not see is there was any plaster
cracking.

Can anyone who has chased in plastic pipes and covered them with
plaster, report if there was any visible plaster cracking later? I
notice the pipes do expand in length by a fair margin.

I haven't but the bloke I work with has (I think) - I'll ask him tomorrow.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
In the past I have chased plastic pipes into a wall and plastered over
them - this was for a shower with concealed valve. All worked nicely.
However that was tiled, so I could not see is there was any plaster
cracking.

Can anyone who has chased in plastic pipes and covered them with
plaster, report if there was any visible plaster cracking later? I
notice the pipes do expand in length by a fair margin.

I've done something a bit different. I threaded 15mm copper
pipes inside 20mm plastic conduit, and plastered this into
a wall. The idea was to allow the copper to move without it
being stuck to the plaster. I put 135 degree bends into the
pipe combination using a 22mm pipe bender to bring the ends
out of the wall under the bath.

However, I still can't tell you about cracking as it's tiled
over. PVC does have quite a large coefficient of expansion,
so it may not be the best choice, although it probably doesn't
heat up as much as the pipe itself.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
In the past I have chased plastic pipes into a wall and plastered over
them - this was for a shower with concealed valve. All worked nicely.
However that was tiled, so I could not see is there was any plaster
cracking.

Can anyone who has chased in plastic pipes and covered them with
plaster, report if there was any visible plaster cracking later? I
notice the pipes do expand in length by a fair margin.

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

I plastered two 15mm plastic radiator pipes into a wall for the cloakroom
towel rail, no problems 2.5 years on!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Can anyone who has chased in plastic pipes and covered them with
plaster, report if there was any visible plaster cracking later? I
notice the pipes do expand in length by a fair margin.

I plastered two 15mm plastic radiator pipes into a wall for the
cloakroom towel rail, no problems 2.5 years on!

Splendid - that is the application in question - a pipe run to a small rad.

I was toying with the idea of injecting a bit of foam close to the
pipes, and then some metal lath capping to allow the pipes to move in
the wall - but was wondering if that was just making life difficult.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Toby wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Can anyone who has chased in plastic pipes and covered them with
plaster, report if there was any visible plaster cracking later? I
notice the pipes do expand in length by a fair margin.

I plastered two 15mm plastic radiator pipes into a wall for the
cloakroom towel rail, no problems 2.5 years on!

Splendid - that is the application in question - a pipe run to a
small rad.
I was toying with the idea of injecting a bit of foam close to the
pipes, and then some metal lath capping to allow the pipes to move in
the wall - but was wondering if that was just making life difficult.

I just chased a groove (with a wall chaser) just wide enough for the two
pipes, and popped them in. they go down the wall in the midle of the rad (So
I didnt end up putting a screw through them!), then branch out either way,
and just appear behind the valves, looks neat!

The wall is warm where the pipes are, so locating them again is quite
simple!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote

I just chased a groove (with a wall chaser) just wide enough for the two
pipes, and popped them in. they go down the wall in the midle of the rad
(So I didnt end up putting a screw through them!), then branch out either
way, and just appear behind the valves, looks neat!

The wall is warm where the pipes are, so locating them again is quite
simple!

Toby...

I would expect that the depth of the chase will play a part in determining
whether the capping plaster (and therefore the thickness of it) will crack
or not.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

In the past I have chased plastic pipes into a wall and plastered over
them - this was for a shower with concealed valve. All worked nicely.
However that was tiled, so I could not see is there was any plaster
cracking.

Can anyone who has chased in plastic pipes and covered them with
plaster, report if there was any visible plaster cracking later? I
notice the pipes do expand in length by a fair margin.

I haven't but the bloke I work with has (I think) - I'll ask him tomorrow.

Cheers

Tim

OK - had a word and he's happy I relay it he

He put his plastic pipes in corrugated plastic flexi-conduit (from Wickes)
to allow for movement. Says they're fine to date.

Cheers

Tim

mice and plastic pipes THOMAS PATTON UK diy 14 August 3rd 06 05:46 PM
Lagging plastic pipes [email protected] UK diy 2 May 31st 06 10:24 AM
Plastic pipes v copper pipes! Vikki UK diy 11 November 26th 05 03:44 PM
Chasing pipes Howard UK diy 1 March 8th 05 03:08 PM
Plastic pipes in CH mj UK diy 3 October 16th 04 10:21 PM