Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Desktop conversion tool

A long time ago someone round here recommended a small but comprehensive
program which could sit on a desktop. I lost it when the HD died, can anyone
remember it or suggest a substitute?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 14:20:10 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

A long time ago someone round here recommended a small but comprehensive
program which could sit on a desktop. I lost it when the HD died, can anyone
remember it or suggest a substitute?

Mary

Programme for doing what ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
A long time ago someone round here recommended a small but comprehensive
program which could sit on a desktop. I lost it when the HD died, can
anyone remember it or suggest a substitute?

Mary

Don't know which one you are after, but a quick google brought a few - e.g.
http://joshmadison.com/article/convert-for-windows/, or
http://www.esbconsult.com.au/esbcalc/esbunitconv.htm

HTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 14:34:59 +0100, Kevin

wrote:

A long time ago someone round here recommended a small but comprehensive
program which could sit on a desktop. I lost it when the HD died, can anyone
remember it or suggest a substitute?

Mary

Programme for doing what ?

conversions perhaps :-)

Or converting a desktop perhaps :-) Well she did ask for a Desktop
Conversion Tool .
A bit more info would have helped

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 14:20:10 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

A long time ago someone round here recommended a small but comprehensive
program which could sit on a desktop. I lost it when the HD died, can anyone
remember it or suggest a substitute?

Linux?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
A long time ago someone round here recommended a small but comprehensive
program which could sit on a desktop. I lost it when the HD died, can
anyone remember it or suggest a substitute?

If you add a leg to each corner depending on the length of those legs you
can convert
your desktop in to a coffee table or a full height dinning table
Or even a computer table but make sure you know what operating system you're
using otherwise it may well fall over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:20:09 UTC, Huge wrote:

Indeed. What you need is the Unix "units" program;

[huge@anubis ~]: units
you have: feet3
you want: litres
* 2.831685e+01
/ 3.531467e-02
you have: kiloparsec
you want: nanometer
* 3.085678e+28
/ 3.240779e-29
you have: chain2
you want: hectare
* 4.046856e-02
/ 2.471054e+01
you have:

And so on ...

My favourite is attoparsecs per microfortnight...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-10-06, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:20:09 UTC, Huge wrote:

Indeed. What you need is the Unix "units" program;

[huge@anubis ~]: units
you have: feet3
you want: litres
* 2.831685e+01
/ 3.531467e-02
you have: kiloparsec
you want: nanometer
* 3.085678e+28
/ 3.240779e-29
you have: chain2
you want: hectare
* 4.046856e-02
/ 2.471054e+01
you have:

And so on ...

My favourite is attoparsecs per microfortnight...

Ooh, 'units' is cleverer than I thought;

[huge@anubis ~]: units
you have: attoparsec/microfortnight
you want: mph
* 5.706402e-02
/ 1.752418e+01

Hmmm..yes. I just use it as (near as dammit) an inch per second..!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Same here. But Google is equally clever. I just filled up and zeroed the
trip meter last time I filled up. My car has done 356.4miles in the
meantime and I had to replace 53.5 litres of petrol.

In the Google search box:
"356.4 miles per 53.5 litres in miles per imperial gallon"

answer:
"(356.4 miles) per (53.5 litres) = 30.2846195 miles per Imperial gallon"

or even:
Q: "(17 pi)^2 GBP in USD"
A: "((17 * pi)^2) British pounds = 4 932.50949 U.S. dollars"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

My favourite is attoparsecs per microfortnight...

I seem to recall that some Kernel Tuning parameters on some minicomputer OS
( VMS, perhaps? ) was specified in microfortnights.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:05:00 UTC, "Ron Lowe"
ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

My favourite is attoparsecs per microfortnight...

I seem to recall that some Kernel Tuning parameters on some minicomputer OS
( VMS, perhaps? ) was specified in microfortnights.

That's correct (and where I got it from originally). Actually, it was
only one of them...the delay for the system to wait for the operator to
correct a time of day...

hang on...just start a VAX...here we are..

SYSBOOTSH TIMEP
TIMEPROMPTWAIT 65535 65535 0 65535
uFortnight

That's it..
--
Bob Eager
Long time VMS guru

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

My favourite is attoparsecs per microfortnight...

I seem to recall that some Kernel Tuning parameters on some minicomputer
OS
( VMS, perhaps? ) was specified in microfortnights.

That's correct (and where I got it from originally). Actually, it was
only one of them...the delay for the system to wait for the operator to
correct a time of day...

hang on...just start a VAX...here we are..

SYSBOOTSH TIMEP
TIMEPROMPTWAIT 65535 65535 0 65535
uFortnight

That's it..
--
Bob Eager
Long time VMS guru

I teach at the training centre of a multi-national oilfield service company.
The units in common use in the oil industry are old Imperial Units ( depth
in feet, pressures in PSI, diameters in inches, due to the US influence ).

There are, however, some units I've only ever seen in the oil industry:

Fluid Density: PPTF ( PSI per Thousand Feet ).
Fluid Density: PPG ( Pounds per Gallon )
Fluid Viscosity: Seconds ( time to flow a US quart of fluid through a Marsh
Funnel ).
Pipe Weight: PPF ( pounds per foot ).
are some that come immediately to mind.

It's always amusing to introduce new-hires to this strange world, when they
are fresh out of SI-based education.

Sometimes, I introduce them jokingly to the fff system, and quote
accelerations in "furlongs per square fortnight".

--
Ron

what is purpose from desktop: [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 16th 08 08:10 AM
HP Desktop for sale! pbdude Woodturning 0 October 14th 07 09:44 AM
AD: New Desktop CNC Machine in UK Cliff Metalworking 0 October 29th 05 01:38 AM
Best Desktop CNC Cliff Metalworking 1 June 1st 05 01:10 AM
Desktop Dr. deb Woodworking 2 October 18th 04 02:22 PM