Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastering Over Fireplace Opening

I've just removed a gas fire from my living room and am going to block
off the opening .I'm proposing to screw timber just inside the
opening and then fit a piece of plasterboard and plaster over the
board flush with the wall. I was going to use multifinish or finishing
plaster .It's not a big opening ....about 12" by 18" .
How far back should I sit the plasterboard ....10mm be all right ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
I've just removed a gas fire from my living room and am going to block
off the opening .I'm proposing to screw timber just inside the
opening and then fit a piece of plasterboard and plaster over the
board flush with the wall. I was going to use multifinish or finishing
plaster .It's not a big opening ....about 12" by 18" .
How far back should I sit the plasterboard ....10mm be all right ?

If you're just skimming with finish coat (which is all you need on
plasterboared), it wants to be about 3-4mm if you are doing two coats.
You can't put finish coat on any thicker than about 2mm per coat.

The flue must be vented top and bottom. If it's on an outside wall,
vent to the outside by installing an airbrick through the back of the
fireplace, and I would suggest putting thermal insulation behind the
plasterboard. If it's not on an outside wall, you'll have to vent to
the room with a grill through the plasterboard (and there's no point
in any insulation in this case).

At the top, if it's uncapped, that's fine. If it's capped, a top vent
must be fitted too. Otherwise the flue will slowly attract more and
more water, eventually damaging decorations on the chimney breast and
causing your timber support to get dryrot.

As an alternative to closing off the fireplace, you could just close
off the flue with a piece of plasterboard (still needs to be vented
above as described above), leaving the fireplace as a storage or
decorative area. If it backs onto an outside wall with a single skin
of brick (a half brick wall), line the back with 25mm or 50mm cellotex
to prevent condensation, and plasterboard/plaster over this.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Opening up fireplace BeerBoy UK diy 3 July 22nd 08 04:46 PM
Opening up fireplace 'cavity' GI Joe UK diy 3 November 21st 06 02:24 PM
Widen fireplace opening David Quinn UK diy 0 November 6th 06 11:33 AM
arched fireplace opening Metalworking 2 January 20th 06 12:24 AM
Sealing fireplace opening Robert Barr Home Repair 6 December 13th 04 09:17 PM