Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opening up fireplace

I have a class 1 chimney with a living flame gas fire. I intend to
disconnect it, rip out the fire surround and take out the fireback. So
basically there will be a big hole right back to the original chimney
breast brick work. I will then put in a small multi fuel 5kw stove.

My questions are :

Do I need to line/shield the orginal stck brickwork from the heat of
the stove ? I've seen lots of stoves slotted into fireplaces in this
way and the brickwork doesn't appear treated or shielded so I'm
suspecting it is OK.

If I want to paint the bricks, do I need to use special paint or will
emulsion be fine ?

Thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You need to read Part J of the Building Regulations. Installing a
woodburner is notifiable building work.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...000000503.html

There may be a liner already in place, though it's unlikely to be
suitable for solid fuel.

Is there any sort of terminal other than a traditional pot on top of
the chimney? That will probably have to come off or be changed.

You'll also need a suitable masonry hearth to meet current regs.

Having a solid fuel rated stainless steel liner is expensive (I think
mandatory in changing the use of a masonry chimney - but I'd have to
re-read the docs to be certain), but it will reduce potentially
dangerous sooting, make it easier to clean of soot and considerably
reduce both the risk of and dangers from a chimney fire.

You might also need to increase/provide fixed ventilation into the
room.

Probably not the answers you wanted to hear - the cost of a liner can
easily exceed the cost of a stove.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the reply. I understand about the chimney liner and have
arranged for that to be done.

My questions were specifically about the recess area I'm going to
create and wether I had to shield or treat the bricks in this area.
Also if I want to paint them, then what paint is suitable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 22 Jul, 09:27, BeerBoy wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I understand about the chimney liner and have
arranged for that to be done.

My questions were specifically about the recess area I'm going to
create and wether I had to shield or treat the bricks in this area.
Also if I want to paint them, then what paint is suitable.

Read the regs - they are available online.
If you place your stove correctly then you can do what you like with
surrounding surfaces - either the stove fitter or Building Control
will advise too.

Jim

Opening up fireplace 'cavity' GI Joe UK diy 3 November 21st 06 02:24 PM
Widen fireplace opening David Quinn UK diy 0 November 6th 06 11:33 AM
Need to cover fireplace opening Diane M Home Repair 1 August 22nd 06 06:34 PM
arched fireplace opening Metalworking 2 January 20th 06 12:24 AM
Sealing fireplace opening Robert Barr Home Repair 6 December 13th 04 09:17 PM