Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More novice decking questions - balustrades

All going well, boards nicely laid, so its onto the handrails.

I've bought handrails, baserails, spindles and fillets. I can put all
those together to give a nice effect, but then when I'm attaching the
handrail and baserail to the post all I can seem to come up with is to
use a couple of angled brackets. That doesn't sound particularly neat
to me - is that the usual way to do it?

Alternatives that come to mind a-
-Fit both ends of the handrail with dowels and plug into holes in the
posts. I can see that working, apart from having to wiggle the posts
wide enough to allow them all to fit, and the baserail isn't thick
enough to have dowels inserted.
-slice one of the spindles in half and attach that to the post. Use
this to conceal an angled bracket at the top and bottom (I quite like
this idea, but my wife says it sounds a bit mad and would look odd)

Any other good suggestions or pointers?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 10:32*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
All going well, boards nicely laid, so its onto the handrails.

I've bought handrails, baserails, spindles and fillets. *I can put all
those together to give a nice effect, but then when I'm attaching the
handrail and baserail to the post all I can seem to come up with is to
use a couple of angled brackets. *That doesn't sound particularly neat
to me - is that the usual way to do it?

The baserail doesn't need to be attached to the post unless its above the
level of the deck, normally they are just screwed down to the deck board.

I pocket hole drill the handrail from the underside & screw it to the post
using 2 screws - very strong & invisible. *You could do the same with a base
rail that was above deck level.

Use a 6mm auger bit & drill from the end of the handrail at an angle
downwards into the fillet groove. *Can be done by hand or use a simple jighttp://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22519&name=pocket+hole+j...

Use decking screws or turbogolds.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Excellent, thanks (again!).

I think I'll go down the Kreg jig route as that looks like making life
nice and simple.

The baserail is going to be floating so that we can brush away
underneath it (we've got three, soon to have four children, so
liberally distributed stones / muck etc will soon be all over the
deck!!). I'm not entirely certain that the baserail will be deep
enough to take the pocket holes, but I'll check that out when the jig
arrives.

Matt