Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Miele vacuum cleaner (model Solution HEPA 700) - motor sparking!

Motor sparking accompanied by electrical burning smell and something
rattling. Broken brush?

I have removed the motor and it seems to be a sealed unit, or at least
not amenable to disassembly. Can anyone offer a solution? Source for
new/reconditioned motor?

- thanks in advance -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 07:09:51 GMT, Graz wrote:

Source for new/reconditioned motor?

Miele are supposed to be a top brand/manufacturer do they not supply
spares? Or an in home service division? If it was a Dyson I think the
fixed fee £65 service charge covers replacement motor. ducks

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:48:21 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 07:09:51 GMT, Graz wrote:

Source for new/reconditioned motor?

Miele are supposed to be a top brand/manufacturer do they not supply
spares? Or an in home service division? If it was a Dyson I think the
fixed fee =A365 service charge covers replacement motor. ducks

I'm getting conflicting advice from Miele. The Spares Dept says it's
a brushless motor and a replacement motor costs £146 plus VAT;
however their "Pearl Service" (as shown on the website) will repair
anything that's wrong with it for £69.50. The "Customer Service" bod,
on the other hand, said it needed to be looked at (for a £60 estimate
charge) and, if it turned out to be a faulty motor, would be declared
"uneconomical for repair".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:22:05 GMT, Graz wrote:

I'm getting conflicting advice from Miele. The Spares Dept says it's
a brushless motor and a replacement motor costs £146 plus VAT;

Ouch...

however their "Pearl Service" (as shown on the website) will repair
anything that's wrong with it for £69.50.

I'd be tempted to hold them to what they say on the website:

* Internal components checked and replaced as necessary
* Any broken or faulty parts, suction hose, telescopic tube, floorhead or
accessories replaced.

No where does it state there are any extra costs for any parts.

The "Customer Service" bod, on the other hand, said it needed to be
looked at (for a £60 estimate charge) and, if it turned out to be a
faulty motor, would be declared "uneconomical for repair".

Well with a motor costing £146 + VAT it's not economical *for them* at the
Pearl Service level of £69.50 inc VAT. How much is a new cleaner?

I'm not convinced that cleaner servicing is in home, read the para above
"Service Pricing". Looks to me like they take it away to repair. It's
certainly not very clear what they are actually offering.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 07:09:51 GMT, Graz wrote:

Source for new/reconditioned motor?

Miele are supposed to be a top brand/manufacturer do they not supply
spares? Or an in home service division? If it was a Dyson I think the
fixed fee £65 service charge covers replacement motor. ducks

If memory serves, I think Andy H described a very similar service from
Miele - they collect, fix and return for a set price regardless of what
needs doing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:47:25 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:22:05 GMT, Graz wrote:

I'm getting conflicting advice from Miele. The Spares Dept says it's
a brushless motor and a replacement motor costs =A3146 plus VAT;

Ouch...

however their "Pearl Service" (as shown on the website) will repair
anything that's wrong with it for =A369.50.

I'd be tempted to hold them to what they say on the website:

Applies to vacuum cleaners less than ten years old, which I'm pretty
sure mine is but it will take me some time to verify that. The year
code stamped on various plastic components is "52", whatever that
stands for.

* Internal components checked and replaced as necessary
* Any broken or faulty parts, suction hose, telescopic tube, floorhead o=
accessories replaced.

No where does it state there are any extra costs for any parts.

Indeed.

The "Customer Service" bod, on the other hand, said it needed to be
looked at (for a =A360 estimate charge) and, if it turned out to be a =

faulty motor, would be declared "uneconomical for repair".

Well with a motor costing =A3146 + VAT it's not economical *for them* at=
the
Pearl Service level of =A369.50 inc VAT. How much is a new cleaner?

Something comparable...about £200.

I'm not convinced that cleaner servicing is in home, read the para above=

"Service Pricing". Looks to me like they take it away to repair. It's
certainly not very clear what they are actually offering.

I believe they send you a box to send it away in and then it comes
back repaired with a 12-month guarantee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

If memory serves, I think Andy H described a very similar service from
Miele - they collect, fix and return for a set price regardless of what
needs doing.

Certainly used to be the case - I don't remember any exceptions for motors
(or anything else).

This could have changed however, I've not used them..

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

If memory serves, I think Andy H described a very similar service from
Miele - they collect, fix and return for a set price regardless of what
needs doing.

Certainly used to be the case - I don't remember any exceptions for motors
(or anything else).

This could have changed however, I've not used them..

Darren

He obviously hadn't signed the agreement not to mention breakdowns to Miele
appliances.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:05:47 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 07:09:51 GMT, Graz wrote:

Source for new/reconditioned motor?

Miele are supposed to be a top brand/manufacturer do they not supply
spares? Or an in home service division? If it was a Dyson I think the
fixed fee £65 service charge covers replacement motor. ducks

If memory serves, I think Andy H described a very similar service from
Miele - they collect, fix and return for a set price regardless of what
needs doing.

Sadly, as I found out today, this does not include replacing the motor
(if required).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2008 15:34 Graz wrote:

Sadly, as I found out today, this does not include replacing the motor
(if required).

Are you sure? Our vac had the red light stuck on earlier this year and
they fixed it, and provided a box and carriage each way, for the
standard £69. The list of parts and prices they'd used topped £120 but
of course they were retail prices, not the cost to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
et...
On 01/10/2008 15:34 Graz wrote:

Sadly, as I found out today, this does not include replacing the motor
(if required).

Are you sure? Our vac had the red light stuck on earlier this year and
they fixed it, and provided a box and carriage each way, for the standard
£69. The list of parts and prices they'd used topped £120 but of course
they were retail prices, not the cost to them.

Wasn't on the Cutty Sark was it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep, 08:09, (Graz) wrote:
Motor sparking accompanied by electrical burning smell and something
rattling. *Broken brush?

No idea.

But web search (esp. in Swedish) and you'll find issues with Miele
vacuums catching fire when left in standby mode. This would make me
wary of the brand in general.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 22 Sep, 08:09, (Graz) wrote:
Motor sparking accompanied by electrical burning smell and something
rattling. *Broken brush?

No idea.

But web search (esp. in Swedish) and you'll find issues with Miele
vacuums catching fire when left in standby mode. This would make me
wary of the brand in general.

That's well out of form for them (without in any way saying the report is
untrue).

I've been pleased with my Miele vacuum, but then it's not left in "standby"
(I assume that means "on" but set to 0 RPM???)

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:14:00 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 01/10/2008 15:34 Graz wrote:

Sadly, as I found out today, this does not include replacing the motor
(if required).

Are you sure? Our vac had the red light stuck on earlier this year and
they fixed it, and provided a box and carriage each way, for the
standard £69. The list of parts and prices they'd used topped £120 but
of course they were retail prices, not the cost to them.

I've had confirmation by email that a replacement motor is not
included in the £69 "Pearl" service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2008 15:34 Graz wrote:

Sadly, as I found out today, this does not include replacing the motor
(if required).

Are you sure? Our vac had the red light stuck on earlier this year and
they fixed it, and provided a box and carriage each way, for the
standard £69. The list of parts and prices they'd used topped £120 but
of course they were retail prices, not the cost to them.

I've had confirmation by email that a replacement motor is not
included in the £69 "Pearl" service.

Maybe they just fix the old motor?