Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrifying the summer house... gosh!

Dear all,

I have veen following anxiously the issue of electrical regulations,
XVII ed. (part P?) or similar (seems like citing some obscure Criminal
Law Act though...).

Now the problem: in 2000 I had my electrical system partially rewired
and 'updated' to the current regulations of the times (Scotland).
A CU with no RCD for light and power in the house, plus another CU
with RCD (there were no split units at the time).

A 49Amp MAX armoured cable (should be 2.5mm^2, not certain but I'm
certain it's 49 Amp MAX) which is some 40 metres long goes from the
RCD-protected CU straight into the summer house to provide power.

I originally asked some supposed sparkies and the majority seemed to
conclude that I could manage the work myself as it were a 'shed-like
outhouse' but I', mot this very much convinced of that. If that's not
the case I would still do the job myself according to current
regulations and than waste a bit of money on the usual (un)qualified
guy to let him fill a certificate of compliance/whatever.

Now...

1) I read somewhere (now well buried in one of the posts) that I'd
better link the armoured cable, at the house to the non-RCD CU and
then provide a split unit at the summer house end rather than keeping
the current setup.

2) Anything else to comply with these apparently frightening
regulations? (I would create ring circuits inside the summer house,
have a RCD-protected and a non-RCD protected split unit if possible,
etc). Note that I would use the summer house for woodworking involving
a range of professional power tools

Thanks

E.