Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Electrifying the summer house... gosh!

Micky Savage coughed up some electrons that declared:

wrote in message
On Sep 18, 5:54 pm, "Micky Savage" wrote:
"Woland" wrote in message

Dear all,

I have veen following anxiously the issue of electrical regulations,
XVII ed. (part P?) or similar (seems like citing some obscure Criminal
Law Act though...).

Now the problem: in 2000 I had my electrical system partially rewired
and 'updated' to the current regulations of the times (Scotland).
A CU with no RCD for light and power in the house, plus another CU
with RCD (there were no split units at the time).

A 49Amp MAX armoured cable (should be 2.5mm^2, not certain but I'm
certain it's 49 Amp MAX) which is some 40 metres long goes from the
RCD-protected CU straight into the summer house to provide power.

I originally asked some supposed sparkies and the majority seemed to
conclude that I could manage the work myself as it were a 'shed-like
outhouse' but I', mot this very much convinced of that. If that's not
the case I would still do the job myself according to current
regulations and than waste a bit of money on the usual (un)qualified
guy to let him fill a certificate of compliance/whatever.

Now...

1) I read somewhere (now well buried in one of the posts) that I'd
better link the armoured cable, at the house to the non-RCD CU and
then provide a split unit at the summer house end rather than keeping
the current setup.

2) Anything else to comply with these apparently frightening
regulations? (I would create ring circuits inside the summer house,
have a RCD-protected and a non-RCD protected split unit if possible,
etc). Note that I would use the summer house for woodworking involving
a range of professional power tools

Thanks

E.

Hi
I would put a radial circuit in. That way you only have to isolate that
circuit, if you have to work on it. Also if it does go down your whole
house
does not.

Ring rinals are on their way out.
I know this because I am at Leeds College of Technology, I am studying
for Level 3. We covered this very subject today.
I am about to rewire my home and am putting in radial circuits in every
room.

Kind Regards.

Micky Savage.

P.S. Testing is also a lot quicker on Radial circuits, so you won't have
pay the sparky as much for your testing.

Funny, considering the ring circuit has such safety advantages
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....e=Ring_circuit

NT

No not funny it's going to be fact.

Micky.

Lecturers sometimes have their own slant on things and it may or may not
align with reality :-

OK - rather than just state what I think, lets have some fun instead...

I would like to postulate that 32A final socket circuits are good for many
applications because they doesn't keel over when you plug two 3kW
appliances in. If you disagree, the debate is dead, if agree, please go to
next step:

Next step: Can you construct a 32A radial circuit using 13A sockets?

Cheers

Tim