Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B***er this - braincheck please, building regs

It's the bungalow again (*groan*)

IEE Wiring regs aside, which state that a CU should be "accessible", any
reason not to put a CU on the first floor, in a fairly accessible place
(down the end of an alcove off the side of a dormer, 4-6,5ft head height on
a sideways slope, will be part of my "lab" (ie office)? This is not a
newbuild, so as I understand from trying to read it, I can ignore Part M -
correct or not?

Background...

Making final siting decisions for boiler, consumer unit and plumbing runs
prior to subbing in a builder to mod some walls (I'm too scared to try
matching exposed exterior brickwork).

Decided long ago to run services round the perimiter of the roof void. This
is a good decision.

Later, got round to inspecting the void. Void would be too tight for
plumbing, comms and power wiring plus the odd bit of 100mm ventilation
ducting. Plus the hot pipes would make it hot to the detriment of the
cables' current carrying capacity.

Then had an Archimedes moment (minus the running naked to the pub or
whatever he did when he discovered getting in a brim full bath gets you a
clip round the ear from mother for flooding the house):

Split perimiter into two sections, each with two adjoining external walls.
Use one half for wet + air, the other for electrical. We can get to
anywhere running along the upstairs floor joists from either end. Genius.
Choice for wet side already determined by the bathroom, shower room and
kitchen + water mains being generally near one corner of the house.

So that nadgered up my CU siting which was also on the corner. If I stick it
upstairs, I can get it near the supply head (bonus), and the wiring drops
right where I want it and it's well away from hot and steamy places.

All I know, if I were God, I wouldn't have done the Earth in 7 days. Day 324
would have been still deciding if fish should have legs ;- Mrs God would
of course be rolling her eyes.

Cheers (once again)

Tim

Building regs... Mr Sandman UK diy 2 February 9th 08 11:21 PM
Building regs WC compactpowerhouse UK diy 6 June 10th 06 05:15 AM
building regs dale hammond UK diy 13 July 10th 05 11:49 PM
building regs dale hammond UK diy 1 June 11th 05 12:21 PM
Building Regs Josie Milton UK diy 10 December 14th 04 10:50 PM