Posted to uk.d-i-y
compactpowerhouse

Default Building regs WC

I am planning to create a new bathroom in a room directly above the
existing bathroom. I will be connecting the WC to the existing soil
stack. I have looked into the building regs briefly (without calling
them yet) and it seems that you need consent if you are modifying or
creating a new drain. Will what I am doing require building regs?

I also want to move another toilet about 4 feet away from it's existing
location. Will this require telling the council too? And does anyone
really bother for minor works?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 9 Jun 2006 05:49:28 -0700 someone who may be "compactpowerhouse"
wrote this:-

I am planning to create a new bathroom in a room directly above the
existing bathroom. I will be connecting the WC to the existing soil
stack. I have looked into the building regs briefly (without calling
them yet) and it seems that you need consent if you are modifying or
creating a new drain. Will what I am doing require building regs?

New connections to drains should, in theory, be approved by the
council. This is a sensible measure to avoid the health dangers of
badly designed and installed drains.

However, those who know what they are doing are justified in
ignoring this, when they don't need the sometimes very useful advice
that can be given. Those who don't know what they are doing are not
justified in ignoring this, though they often do. What you decide to
do is up to you, but you may need to justify it.

I also want to move another toilet about 4 feet away from it's existing
location. Will this require telling the council too?

If you are simply extending an existing pipe then, provided you are
within the length limits, there is no great point in letting them
know, but you may need to justify it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

David Hansen wrote:

However, those who know what they are doing are justified in
ignoring this, when they don't need the sometimes very useful advice
that can be given. Those who don't know what they are doing are not
justified in ignoring this, though they often do. What you decide to
do is up to you, but you may need to justify it.

But how do you tell the difference:

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=406 ;-)

(I would go along with David here, if you follow the advice in the
building regs document I can't see anyone getting too upset)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

I am planning to create a new bathroom in a room directly above the
existing bathroom. I will be connecting the WC to the existing soil
stack. I have looked into the building regs briefly (without calling
them yet) and it seems that you need consent if you are modifying or
creating a new drain. Will what I am doing require building regs?

Yes. Remember that when you come to sell the house as you probably will,
that any buyer is going to ask to see proof of any permissions that were
required. If you don't have them expect delays and costs whilst you get it
all done then. Much quicker and cheaper to do it now.

I also want to move another toilet about 4 feet away from it's
existing location. Will this require telling the council too? And
does anyone really bother for minor works?

See above.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

For a new bathroom, I think worth doing. It is very likely to be picked

Yup, good point, I did not read that bit properly and was concentrating
on the moving/adding a loo bit and not the whole new bathroom bit! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

compactpowerhouse wrote:
I am planning to create a new bathroom in a room directly above the
existing bathroom. I will be connecting the WC to the existing soil
stack. I have looked into the building regs briefly (without calling
them yet) and it seems that you need consent if you are modifying or
creating a new drain. Will what I am doing require building regs?

I also want to move another toilet about 4 feet away from it's existing
location. Will this require telling the council too? And does anyone
really bother for minor works?

Thanks

IIRC it would need approval, BUT if doing it on the qt, and sensibly TO
regulations, no one will object..later
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Peter Crosland wrote:
I am planning to create a new bathroom in a room directly above the
existing bathroom. I will be connecting the WC to the existing soil
stack. I have looked into the building regs briefly (without calling
them yet) and it seems that you need consent if you are modifying or
creating a new drain. Will what I am doing require building regs?

Yes. Remember that when you come to sell the house as you probably will,
that any buyer is going to ask to see proof of any permissions that were
required. If you don't have them expect delays and costs whilst you get it
all done then. Much quicker and cheaper to do it now.

Don't say that any WERE required.

"been there for years mate..."