Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default An adhesive problem

Last year I replaced the headlining on my old car. It's a foam backed
nylon material which is glued to a fibre former. The instructions were to
use spray on contact adhesive which I got from the same trim suppliers.
And it's failed in several places - mostly where it's most under the
highest tension, like the dimples behind the grab handles.

I'm wondering if the moisture content in the fibreboard was too high - I
did have it indoors for a couple of days before doing the job but perhaps
it needed longer?

Anyway - I'm going to do it again. The material isn't too expensive. So
what should I use to give a better grip to the fibreboard? Soak it in a
PVA solution? Anything else?

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Last year I replaced the headlining on my old car. It's a foam backed
nylon material which is glued to a fibre former. The instructions were
to use spray on contact adhesive which I got from the same trim
suppliers. And it's failed in several places - mostly where it's most
under the highest tension, like the dimples behind the grab handles.

I'm wondering if the moisture content in the fibreboard was too high
- I did have it indoors for a couple of days before doing the job but
perhaps it needed longer?

Anyway - I'm going to do it again. The material isn't too expensive.
So what should I use to give a better grip to the fibreboard? Soak it
in a PVA solution? Anything else?

Use evostik.

Reports say Evostick isn't what it was. It's also difficult to apply to a
thin fabric evenly.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Last year I replaced the headlining on my old car. It's a foam backed
nylon material which is glued to a fibre former. The instructions were to
use spray on contact adhesive which I got from the same trim suppliers.
And it's failed in several places - mostly where it's most under the
highest tension, like the dimples behind the grab handles.

I'm wondering if the moisture content in the fibreboard was too high - I
did have it indoors for a couple of days before doing the job but perhaps
it needed longer?

Anyway - I'm going to do it again. The material isn't too expensive. So
what should I use to give a better grip to the fibreboard? Soak it in a
PVA solution? Anything else?

PVA will wet it.
Maybe a thin coat of contact adhesive left to dry as a sealer would work
better.
There are primers for some contact adhesives or at least I remember seeing
what I thought was a primer a few years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
writes

[...]

If diluted a bit, the PVA might soak in better and stabilise the surface
of the fibreboard but the contact adhesive would be more likely to go
off on the surface leading to the same problem as before.

I hear what you say about the wetness though.
--
fred

Which Adhesive ? Robert11 Home Repair 6 August 30th 08 12:32 AM
Sander problem: adhesive sand paper falls off [email protected] Woodworking 5 May 1st 06 05:45 PM
Interlocking Suspended Ceiling/Fixing Trunking - Self adhesive or Impact adhesive. [email protected] UK diy 0 February 3rd 06 09:21 AM
Which adhesive? Bob Minchin UK diy 3 January 4th 06 02:59 AM
Adhesive for GRP Kalico UK diy 14 August 26th 04 04:46 PM