Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin

Default Which adhesive?

I have a fibre cement tiled pitched roof with a parapet wall at the bottom.
In order to form a sealed gulley for the rainwater, I intend to use 1mm
butyl rubber sheet (pond liner) cover the parapet wall, the gulley and
tucked up under a couple of courses of tiles. The decking under the tiles is
Sterling Board (OSB) and the parapet wall is made of concrete blocks.

What would be a suitable adhesive to use to stick the rubber to both damp
concrete and the OSB. I dont want to use a contact type as I will be upon
the roof man handling a 10m long strip of rubber and it is bound to get
stuck to itself somewhere along the line.
Once the rubber is in place I will be covering the edge along the parapet
wall so ultimate water proofing from the adhesive is not essential.

There are a number of bituminous lap-cement type roofing adhesives but I
don't know if these are compatible with butyl rubber.

Any suggestions wold be welcome - apart from 'don't do it
like that' as I'm already committed to the method.

TIA

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:27:33 GMT, "Bob Minchin"
wrote:

[...]

I alyways thought you fitted this stuff in a single unjointed sheet.

I'd search the web for the spec/usage sheets on the exact product you
have.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin

wrote:

[...]

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe my original post was not clear. The adhesive I
seek is to tack the rubber sheet in place on both OSB and damp concrete
blocks. I do not need to stick rubber to rubber because as you say, it is
one piece.

Incidentally I now discover the rubber is EPDM not butyl as I originally
wrote.

Regards

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

What you might consider is a technique I used to use in similar situations
with evostik.

Coat teh subsrate and te felxible menbrane, but do not allow to dry, lay
immediately,.

This gives you shuffling time.

Then as te contact adhesive dries and goies tacky, roll it down hard with a
rubber roller or similar.

I HAVE even simply used a single fat coat of glue on the substrate..and thn
rolled the membrane immedaitely to coat it, then again when tacky. You
don't get unifiorm coverage, but if its just a question of holding the
sheet in place, its enough.

lifting edges can be peeled back and more contact adhesive applied.