Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Consumer units and part P

Before I get officialdom involved, I'm sure someone here can help.

My wife owns a tiny property which is rented out. The tenant recently had a
problem with the consumer unit and called the letting agents whose
electrician fixed the problem but says it needs a new CU fitted to meet
current regulations. He quoted £133 in labour and £344 for parts (plus VAT
of course).

I queried the quote and was told "it will take 5 - 7 hours and the parts
cost is what my suppliers charge".

Now I'm not that dumb and I've replaced several CUs in my own homes over the
years. My query is can I do what I used to do, pull the main fuse, change
the CU then call the electricity supplier and have them inspect and refit
the fuse - or does part P plus the fact that it's rented impose more
requirements on me?

MCB compatibility with consumer units [email protected] UK diy 11 April 8th 18 12:31 PM
Consumer units F UK diy 14 June 4th 06 03:52 PM
Consumer Units Tom UK diy 4 October 22nd 04 08:16 AM
Consumer units... John Rumm UK diy 1 May 31st 04 11:12 AM
consumer units in the u.k Andrew Gabriel UK diy 1 August 28th 03 10:18 AM