Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anybody recognise this?

I've made a couple of posts about trying to get a timer control into an
old Vaillant boiler/central heating system.

My previous idea of just power-cycling the boiler seems to be a no-go
given that the boiler has (I think) a run-on function. Certainly, after
switching off the water and heating controls, the boiler continues to
make a noise for several minutes.

My question now is... what is this?

link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204575@N04/2860583064/

There's no reference to it in the manual that was left with the boiler.

The two switches on the unit control the water and heating respectivly.
The dial appears to indicate water temp and the control knob sets water
temperature.

There are wires from the boiler to the unit, which, from their
connections, would imply that a new thermostat could be added to replace
the pictured unit.

However, before I dismantle it all, I'd like some idea of what's
supposed to be going on. But there are no part numbers on the unit, so
I'm struggling to get any kind of clue to google on.

So, does anyone know what this unit may be called? Or even maybe have a
manual?

Thanks & regards
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message

flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

Nothing like one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message

flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

Nothing like one.

I bet I have seen more bits of a atomic bomb than you ;-) up close and
personal ,they might be shiny and white on the outside but not on the inside

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message

flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

Nothing like one.

I bet I have seen more bits of a atomic bomb than you ;-) up close and
personal ,they might be shiny and white on the outside but not on the
inside

no comment.

tis true and legal ex MOD

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
I've made a couple of posts about trying to get a timer control into an
old Vaillant boiler/central heating system.

My previous idea of just power-cycling the boiler seems to be a no-go
given that the boiler has (I think) a run-on function. Certainly, after
switching off the water and heating controls, the boiler continues to
make a noise for several minutes.

There could be a pump over-run timer in there, although it looks a bit
primitive for such a beast

My question now is... what is this?

link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204575@N04/2860583064/

There's no reference to it in the manual that was left with the boiler.

its prolly the control from another vaillant boiler from the dark
distant past

The two switches on the unit control the water and heating respectivly.
The dial appears to indicate water temp and the control knob sets water
temperature.

The plastic blanking plate is where a Diehl time clock would be if it
had an integral timer

There are wires from the boiler to the unit, which, from their
connections, would imply that a new thermostat could be added to
replace the pictured unit.

However, before I dismantle it all, I'd like some idea of what's
supposed to be going on. But there are no part numbers on the unit, so
I'm struggling to get any kind of clue to google on.

So, does anyone know what this unit may be called?

an ancient POS

Or even maybe have a manual?

Really - I doubt it

if you open the thing up, I'm sure you'll find that it's very basic
inside

just document it wire by wire as you pull it apart

Thanks & regards
Robin

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 11:46*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , Robin
writes

[...]

Picture isnt very hi-res, but it looks like the right dial reads temp,
presumably that of the primary circuit. So it looks like a control
unit. Reminds me of some similar looking Honeywell kit from a lot of
moons ago. The numbered knob might be an uncalibrated primary circuit
thermostat.

It shouldnt be hard to add a timer. Hopefully you can get a clearer
pic of whats going on that just putting the timer across the
thermostat to stop the boiler firing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:03:08 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message

flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

Nothing like one.

I bet I have seen more bits of a atomic bomb than you ;-) up close and
personal ,they might be shiny and white on the outside but not on the
inside

no comment.

Oh go on.... frighten him!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

You realise the spooks are going to turn up to the uk.d-i-y meet now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:48:29 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

You realise the spooks are going to turn up to the uk.d-i-y meet now?

Naw they know that to make an A or H bomb is quite tricky but making a
dirty bomb is much easier...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:48:29 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

You realise the spooks are going to turn up to the uk.d-i-y meet now?

Naw they know that to make an A or H bomb is quite tricky but making a
dirty bomb is much easier...

Making an A bomb is easy.
Getting the materials is quite hard.

As for an H bomb.. that's not exactly hard either, just remember that there
is no H2 in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:47:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Making an A bomb is easy.
Getting the materials is quite hard.

Which, overall, makes it hard....

As for an H bomb.. that's not exactly hard either, just remember that
there is no H2 in it.

Still harder than a dirty bomb, for that you only need to have something
go bang in quite a small way and push some fine powder up into the air and
then tell the authorites it was a dirty bomb containing you choice of
biological or nuclear nasty. The powder could just be flour but the
authorities don't know that until they have taken samples and run tests.
In the meantime they have to evacuate and decontaminate the area and down
wind as if it did contain your nasties...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:47:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Making an A bomb is easy.
Getting the materials is quite hard.

Which, overall, makes it hard....

As for an H bomb.. that's not exactly hard either, just remember that
there is no H2 in it.

Still harder than a dirty bomb, for that you only need to have something
go bang in quite a small way and push some fine powder up into the air and
then tell the authorites it was a dirty bomb containing you choice of
biological or nuclear nasty. The powder could just be flour but the
authorities don't know that until they have taken samples and run tests.
In the meantime they have to evacuate and decontaminate the area and down
wind as if it did contain your nasties...

That was the mistake they made in the commons.. if you evacuate you spread
the contamination.
Best to lock the doors and leave them there until you know what it is.
If they don't die its not a problem.
If they do die, you did the correct thing to contain it.
The only problem you get is if you have to shoot them to contain them and
nobody dies from the attack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-09-19, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:47:34 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Making an A bomb is easy.
Getting the materials is quite hard.

Which, overall, makes it hard....

As for an H bomb.. that's not exactly hard either, just remember that
there is no H2 in it.

Still harder than a dirty bomb, for that you only need to have something
go bang in quite a small way and push some fine powder up into the air

OTOH, have you ever seen a flour explosion? )

I've seen a lab demo and pictures of destroyed buildings.