Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default microbore

Hello,

What is the group's opinion about microbore? I haven't used it before
but heard it was good for threading between joists, like PEX and PB
pipe. But I've also read criticism it will block with sludge. Is this
8mm only or is 10mm susceptible too? Surely that's not a problem of
the pipe but a problem with the system though, if there's that much
sludge?

I was going to run 15mm pipe to the radiator but switch to 10 mm to
run behind the skirting board for the last metre. Can you see any
problems with this? By using just a short length would that avoid any
problems?

Is there such a thing as microbore lagging? I haven't seen any at any
plumbers' merchants.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Sep, 15:50, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

What is the group's opinion about microbore? I haven't used it before
but heard it was good for threading between joists, like PEX and PB
pipe. But I've also read criticism it will block with sludge. Is this
8mm only or is 10mm susceptible too? Surely that's not a problem of
the pipe but a problem with the system though, if there's that much
sludge?

I was going to run 15mm pipe to the radiator but switch to 10 mm to
run behind the skirting board for the last metre. Can you see any
problems with this? By using just a short length would that avoid any
problems?

Is there such a thing as microbore lagging? I haven't seen any at any
plumbers' merchants.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I have 8mm microbore running under the floors - and connecting to 15mm
chrome plated copper "tails" just below the radiator - so i don't
think you should have any problem with this.

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:50:11 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

I was going to run 15mm pipe to the radiator but switch to 10 mm to
run behind the skirting board for the last metre. Can you see any
problems with this? By using just a short length would that avoid any
problems?

I did late parents in laws house many moons ago using two 15mm long
pipes under the landing and downstairs floor which had enough room
underneath to do it all from below) as an extended manifold and taking
off 10mm feeds at intervals to feed the radiators. The longest 10mm
feeds were about 15ft. It worked for 20 years at least without any
problems at all.

Is there such a thing as microbore lagging? I haven't seen any at any
plumbers' merchants.

Air conditioning companies use it. eg
http://www.ryanairconspares.com/10mm...ing-p-525.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

What is the group's opinion about microbore? I haven't used it before
but heard it was good for threading between joists, like PEX and PB
pipe. But I've also read criticism it will block with sludge. Is this
8mm only or is 10mm susceptible too? Surely that's not a problem of
the pipe but a problem with the system though, if there's that much
sludge?

I was going to run 15mm pipe to the radiator but switch to 10 mm to
run behind the skirting board for the last metre. Can you see any
problems with this? By using just a short length would that avoid any
problems?

Is there such a thing as microbore lagging? I haven't seen any at any
plumbers' merchants.

Thanks,
Stephen.

I've had a microbore system for 27 years without any problem, and a
Potterton Neatheat (18 years) that has just required one replacement PCB in
that time. My total service/repair costs in that time have been under £100.
(Saying all this was probably a mistake but... :-))

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

What is the group's opinion about microbore? I haven't used it before
but heard it was good for threading between joists, like PEX and PB
pipe. But I've also read criticism it will block with sludge. Is this
8mm only or is 10mm susceptible too? Surely that's not a problem of
the pipe but a problem with the system though, if there's that much
sludge?

Its okay, but most people prefer 15mm not because of the sludge / flow, but
that its not very robust under general household conditions (eg kids hitting
it/ hovering around it), thus although it was used on new builds between
5-20 yrs ago, most have gone back to 15mm using copper or plastic

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Pearson wrote:
Stephen wrote:

What is the group's opinion about microbore? I haven't used it before
but heard it was good for threading between joists, like PEX and PB
pipe. But I've also read criticism it will block with sludge. Is this
8mm only or is 10mm susceptible too? Surely that's not a problem of
the pipe but a problem with the system though, if there's that much
sludge?

Its okay, but most people prefer 15mm not because of the sludge / flow, but
that its not very robust under general household conditions (eg kids hitting
it/ hovering around it), thus although it was used on new builds between
5-20 yrs ago, most have gone back to 15mm using copper or plastic

I thought it's main use was specifically *not* on new builds, ie for
retrofitting CH in older properties with minimal disturbance?

Though either way I'm sure you right that the advent of plastic pipework
will have affected the popularity of microbore given that it has many of
the advantages of the latter.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:36:39 +0100, "Jonathan Pearson"
wrote:

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

What is the group's opinion about microbore? I haven't used it before
but heard it was good for threading between joists, like PEX and PB
pipe. But I've also read criticism it will block with sludge. Is this
8mm only or is 10mm susceptible too? Surely that's not a problem of
the pipe but a problem with the system though, if there's that much
sludge?

Its okay, but most people prefer 15mm not because of the sludge / flow, but
that its not very robust under general household conditions (eg kids hitting
it/ hovering around it), thus although it was used on new builds between
5-20 yrs ago, most have gone back to 15mm using copper or plastic

Jon

Kids hovering I'd imagine would be a problem :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

What did the installation it cost you 27 years ago? Perhaps a hundred quid?
And then perhaps the £100 it has cost you
since installation occurred 26 and half years ago when the microbore
disintegrated and ruined
all your carpets and furniture...Hmmm?!!!??...
Peter, I think you should provide evidence that you are not a very horrid
person who wishes
great trouble and expense for Stephen.

Come On!

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:50:11 +0000, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

What is the group's opinion about microbore? I haven't used it before
but heard it was good for threading between joists, like PEX and PB
pipe. But I've also read criticism it will block with sludge. Is this
8mm only or is 10mm susceptible too? Surely that's not a problem of the
pipe but a problem with the system though, if there's that much sludge?

I was going to run 15mm pipe to the radiator but switch to 10 mm to run
behind the skirting board for the last metre. Can you see any problems
with this? By using just a short length would that avoid any problems?

Is there such a thing as microbore lagging? I haven't seen any at any
plumbers' merchants.

Thanks,
Stephen.

There is no problem with microbore provided that it is used and installed
correctly.

However why specifically do you need to do this? Modern plastic pipe will
cover the benefits of microbore for out of site work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:34:45 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

However why specifically do you need to do this? Modern plastic pipe will
cover the benefits of microbore for out of site work.

Thanks for the replies. I agree that flexible plastic pipe shares the
advantages of microbo specifically running coils through holes in
joists.

As it happens I intend to do most of the pipe work in 15mm, it's just
that I'd like to run the last metre (or so) to the radiator behind the
skirting board and for this, I thought it might be easier to hide 10mm
pipe behind a skirting board than 15mm. I suppose 10mm plastic pipe
must be available, but I haven't seen it whereas 10mm copper seems
quite common.

I am unsure about using microbore with compression fittings. Is it
similar to plastic in that you have to use inserts, as you do with PEX
and Pb pipe? If so, why can't I see any? I looked at the usual
suspects' web sites and no-one seems to sell 10mm inserts. The only
thing I have found is Screwfix part 61867 "Conex Cuprofit Pipe Insert
10mm" which is sold in their pushfit section. Can this be used with
other fittings, such as compression too?

Is there a cheaper make/store?

Thanks.
Stephen.

PS Where do the similarities with plastic pipe end? Can I cut
microbore with a hacksaw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

I am unsure about using microbore with compression fittings. Is it
similar to plastic in that you have to use inserts, as you do with PEX
and Pb pipe? If so, why can't I see any? I looked at the usual
suspects' web sites and no-one seems to sell 10mm inserts. The only
thing I have found is Screwfix part 61867 "Conex Cuprofit Pipe Insert
10mm" which is sold in their pushfit section. Can this be used with
other fittings, such as compression too?

No, you just use olives exactly as with 15mm or 22mm tube. Or
(preferably) solder the joints, again similarly to 15/22mm.

PS Where do the similarities with plastic pipe end? Can I cut
microbore with a hacksaw

You do have to be ultra-careful with microbore, in that it's very easy
to deform the cut end compared with larger tube, such that it will leak
at joints.
Personally I use one of these for cutting microbore - works very well:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21946/Hand-Tools/Plumbing-Tools/Pipe-Cutters/Pipe-Cutter-3-28mm

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:01:19 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

I am unsure about using microbore with compression fittings. Is it
similar to plastic in that you have to use inserts

No, you just use olives exactly as with 15mm or 22mm tube. Or
(preferably) solder the joints, again similarly to 15/22mm.

PS Where do the similarities with plastic pipe end? Can I cut
microbore with a hacksaw

You do have to be ultra-careful with microbore, in that it's very easy
to deform the cut end compared with larger tube, such that it will leak
at joints.

Thanks for the help. I mistakenly thought I needed inserts for
compression fittings but it's reassuring to know that I do not. No
wonder I couldn't find anyone selling any!

I was joking about the hacksaw. I haven't been here long but have
figured there's a joke about Dr drivel sawing pex pipe.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

I am unsure about using microbore with compression fittings. Is it
similar to plastic in that you have to use inserts

No, you just use olives exactly as with 15mm or 22mm tube. Or
(preferably) solder the joints, again similarly to 15/22mm.

PS Where do the similarities with plastic pipe end? Can I cut
microbore with a hacksaw

Yes.

You do have to be ultra-careful with microbore, in that it's very easy
to deform the cut end compared with larger tube, such that it will leak
at joints.

Thanks for the help. I mistakenly thought I needed inserts for
compression fittings but it's reassuring to know that I do not. No
wonder I couldn't find anyone selling any!

I was joking about the hacksaw. I haven't been here long but have
figured there's a joke about Dr drivel sawing pex pipe.

You can saw plastic as long as the cut is square and trimmed off with no
burrs by razor knife. But is takes time. The amateurs look at the maker
catalogue and see an expensive pipe snippers and think that is the only way
to cut a pipe. The plastic pipe snippers leave a sharp point, and this cuts
the O rings of the fittings. So best use a cutter like the new Monument
plastic pipe cutter, which is designed to not leave sharp bits. It looks
like and is used like a pipe slice cutter.

Microbore questions Lobster UK diy 3 November 27th 06 07:41 PM
microbore in plaster Staffbull UK diy 19 October 5th 06 11:13 AM
Microbore CH Harry Wheeldon UK diy 2 March 27th 06 02:03 PM
Microbore John UK diy 4 March 31st 05 11:40 PM
Please help - to microbore or not...? Rebecca UK diy 17 August 21st 03 04:05 PM