Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default microbore

Stephen wrote:

I am unsure about using microbore with compression fittings. Is it
similar to plastic in that you have to use inserts, as you do with PEX
and Pb pipe? If so, why can't I see any? I looked at the usual
suspects' web sites and no-one seems to sell 10mm inserts. The only
thing I have found is Screwfix part 61867 "Conex Cuprofit Pipe Insert
10mm" which is sold in their pushfit section. Can this be used with
other fittings, such as compression too?

No, you just use olives exactly as with 15mm or 22mm tube. Or
(preferably) solder the joints, again similarly to 15/22mm.

PS Where do the similarities with plastic pipe end? Can I cut
microbore with a hacksaw

You do have to be ultra-careful with microbore, in that it's very easy
to deform the cut end compared with larger tube, such that it will leak
at joints.
Personally I use one of these for cutting microbore - works very well:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21946/Hand-Tools/Plumbing-Tools/Pipe-Cutters/Pipe-Cutter-3-28mm

David