Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

Default Andy Hall

In article ,
ARWadworth wrote:

Not to mention his views on laminate flooring.

He will be will sadly missed on this newgroup for both his very good advice
and his sense of humour

My condolences to his family.

Not much I can add to this - sad, sad news indeed :-(

Never met him, but have had plenty of "discussions" on here over the years.

Best hope for everyones sake heaven isn't paved in laminate or someone will
have hell to pay :-)

He'll be missed in here, it'll not be the same without him :-(

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
What I could do is put together a card with the relevant paragraphs
quoted from this thread attached.

That would be a nice thing to do, for all of us who aren't in contact
with the family.

Yes, I agree. Not sure I've anything worth quoting about Andy that hasn't
already be said better by others but please, add my name to any card.

Darren :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

The power tools have spun down and the lid of the toolbox closed.

Now _that_ is a particularly appropriate line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Sep, 10:39, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Folks,
I'm really sad to report that Andy died in the early hours of
Saturday 9th August following a massive stroke. He didn't wake
up on Friday morning and was taken into hospital, where his
condition worsened and the decision was made to switch off
life support systems. It's not thought he would have been
aware of his situation.

I haven't been on this NG for some time but I know Andy was a regular
poster. I just saw a thread the other day wondering where he was and
now I see this. I'm really sorry.

Didn't always agree with his insistence on buying the most expensive
tools..lol.. but he did give a lot of good advice including some to my
DIY queries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
Folks,
I'm really sad to report that Andy died in the early hours of
Saturday 9th August following a massive stroke. He didn't wake
up on Friday morning and was taken into hospital, where his
condition worsened and the decision was made to switch off
life support systems. It's not thought he would have been
aware of his situation.

Andy leaves behind his wife and children and his parents.
I'm sure many of us here will also feel his loss deeply, as
do his colleagues at Packet Design where he was the Technical
Director covering Europe, Middle East, and Africa regions.

I spoke with his wife today, and she tells me that she too
is into DIY, although probably not quite to the same extent
as Andy.

Andy was a supporter of the Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre,
and his family are directing any donations to the Jim Cronin
Memorial Fund which supports it.
http://www.monkeyworld.co.uk/topic.p...plate=standard

http://www.packetdesign.com/company/...lmemorium.html

--

Losing this man leaves a space that will require several to fill.

Remembering his opinions on quality power tools was always a welcome read
although
sometimes infuriating
A couple of weeks ago I began looking forward to the next Andy Hall Quality
Power Tool 'Seminar'
in order to 'offer' something but I've missed that chance now.

I'm remembering the Prof Toff, this day.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a regular lurker and very occassional contributer I'd like to add my
condolences to his family.
I always read his posts with interest, although I didn't always agree with
him - especially around his view on cheap tools.
Anyway, I'll miss the old sod.
R.I.P Andy Hall

Iain, in Pudsey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message

Does anyone know how old Andy was?

Not old enough. 8-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What sad news. My last message exchange with Andy was a biscuit pun.
Good to have a happy memory.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ http://www.pherber.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

To add my name to the list - so sudden, and scarily young.

If it is any consolation for his family, it was better for him to go to
sleep and never wake up than to survive disabled as so many do.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Champ
scribeth thus
To add my name to the list - so sudden, and scarily young.

If it is any consolation for his family, it was better for him to go to
sleep and never wake up than to survive disabled as so many do.

Andy

Indeed.. but he was just too young;(...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
What I could do is put together a card with the relevant paragraphs
quoted from this thread attached. It is very touching, I've got quite
a lump in my throat just reading through them. I won't do anything
until sometime next week, to allow those who dip into the newsgroup
less often the opportunity to comment. (May need a little editing
to move them from a brash Usenet context to an In Memorium context.)

Please put my name on the card too.

I've always valued Andy's contribution, and shared his general outlook. I'd
like to think that he has contributed more than mere practical advice, but
also valuable advice on how best to consider things for yourself.

Farewell Andy.

--
Ron Lowe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Folks,
I'm really sad to report that Andy died in the early hours of
Saturday 9th August following a massive stroke.

Really sorry to hear that

I sometimes wondered how he managed to find the time to fit work in
around his dedication to uk-diy

I met him a couple of times, and he'll be sorely missed

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

To add my name to the list - so sudden, and scarily young.

If it is any consolation for his family, it was better for him to go to
sleep and never wake up than to survive disabled as so many do.

My father in law went like that. He looked so peaceful the next day.

I am not a believer, but if he is there, God bless Andy, I always
admired his very knowledgeable posts to this group.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I'm really sad to report that Andy died in the early hours of
Saturday 9th August following a massive stroke. He didn't wake
up on Friday morning and was taken into hospital, where his
condition worsened and the decision was made to switch off
life support systems. It's not thought he would have been
aware of his situation.

Andy, thanks for letting us know. Kind of explains why my "are you ok"
email went unanswered!

I am deeply saddened by the news. My thoughts are with his family and
friends at this time.

I think when I first stumbled across uk.d-i-y some six years ago or so,
Andy was one of the first posters that truly made a lasting impression
on me, and he helped set the tone for the group as a whole. I was
thrilled to have found such a great collection of like minded people
with wide and diverse interests and knowledge who were so willing to
devote their time. Andy's devotion to providing detailed and
comprehensive answers to questions even when from people just "dropping
in" to the newsgroup was inspiring, and I felt a yardstick by which ones
contributions could be measured.

I will miss not only his detailed contributions, and advice, but also
the humour, and the joy of someone else who liked the occasional bad pun
as well!

--

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm really sad to report that Andy died in the early hours of
Saturday 9th August following a massive stroke. He didn't wake
up on Friday morning and was taken into hospital, where his
condition worsened and the decision was made to switch off
life support systems. It's not thought he would have been
aware of his situation.

Poor sod, he'll be missed greatly :-(

The one saving grace is hopefully he won't have suffered too much :-/

RIP Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:39:41 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Folks,
I'm really sad to report that Andy died ...

Damn.

I don't know what to say, but I'll try to say it all the same.

I was fortunate to meet him at one or two of the Thames Valley meets,
must've been a few years ago. I liked him. I think if I'd only had his
posts to the group to go by I might have found his rather right-wing
views[1] disagreeable, though that only came through in a few threads - I
recall discussions on postal services, and how the private sector was
almost by definition superior to the public sector (although Andy made it
clear he was speaking from his own experience: he never came across to me
as a bull****ter).

I did find his views of parts of Reading I drive through and work in as
being no-go areas comparable to the warlord strongholds of Baghdad rather
comical!

Oh and I do wish he'd left off those interminable ding-dong "you're a
plant-pot" altercations with Dr Drivel. I used to stop reading by the time
the Subject line had got indented so far it disappeared in the
newsreader's threaded-view :-)

And that's about all I can say about him that's less than eulogistic, and
other contributors have spoken much better than I can of Andy's prolific,
informed, helpful, expert contribution to this group and elsewhere.

I suppose if you can't die instantly in an accident with a monstrous
angle-grinder then Andy's was at least mercifully swift, but what a blow
for his family. And for us all, in a relatively tiny way.

I'd been thinking of suggesting another local meet but never got the round
tuits. Maybe we should have one of these for him:
http://yaph.co.uk/Andy_Hall/Andy.jpg
(Bloody awful photo: that's what you get for not buying a
top-quality camera :-))

[1] as in economic libertarian rather than social authoritarian: I didn't
get the impression Andy would have wanted to or approved of dictating
anyone's personal lives to them.

--
John Stumbles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Highly respected.

"The Singer, not (always) the song."

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux

Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:01:24 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Thank you for letting us know. I had wondered where he was, and was
considering posting to ask if he was okay. His contributions here will
be missed.

Yes, I'm very sorry and it would be good if his family could be sent our
condolences.

Mary

Here Here!

Or has he woud have instantly correcte you..

Hear Hear!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Sep 2008 17:41:03 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What I could do is put together a card with the relevant paragraphs
quoted from this thread attached.

Please add my name.

I can't think of any thing to say that hasn't been said already.

Farewell Andy, we never met but you will be missed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Andy Cap writes:
Beautifully put. May I take the opportunity to add my condolences.
The response here has been truly touching and as other have said, I hope his
family can see the appreciative sentiment expressed in this NG.

What I could do is put together a card with the relevant paragraphs
quoted from this thread attached. It is very touching, I've got quite
a lump in my throat just reading through them. I won't do anything
until sometime next week, to allow those who dip into the newsgroup
less often the opportunity to comment. (May need a little editing
to move them from a brash Usenet context to an In Memorium context.)
I've always admired and respected Andy's posts, and he will be a
great loss to the newsgroup. I met him a number of times at the
DIY meetings we had in London and Berkshire areas. His area of
business was similar to mine, although we never actually worked
together on anything. However, I did use him as a voice of reason
and logical thought when I was weighing up two slightly different
career paths, where his advice was just as valuable as his comments
here have always been.
I will certainly miss him, and my thoughts are with his parents,
wife, and children.

I am now thoroughly annoyed with myself. No such meeting having been
mentioned in ages, I had thought to suggest one earlier this summer.
(Circumstance made this difficult, so I did not do so.) I certainly
would like to have met Andy. I am finding it poignant that those posts
of his that I most appreciated were on OT health issues.

Just goes to show that once the "If onlys" have gone, they are gone and
that you only get one go

Andy put a fair amount into that one go (even if he could have fitted a
bit more in without his crusade against the NHS, in whose care I presume
he spent his last hours)

Maybe a wake up call for some of us

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Simon Stroud" writes:

Thanks for letting us know this terrible and shocking news Andrew.

I will certainly miss his expert contributions on many many subjects, and of
course the occasional entertaining run-ins with "Dr Drivel", etc. His
contributions were often laced with his wicked sense of humour.

I never met the guy but had a great respect for his views and advice. He
steered me towards several excellent products with his constant search for
perfection - boilers, garage doors, fridges particularly spring to mind.

I'm sorry I never made it to one of the uk.d-i-y meets - sadly I won't now
have the chance to put a face to the name.

It's little consolation for not being there, but there are
some picture which Geoff took at one of the London meetings
on my website at http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/diy_london/

Bloody hell - that was a while ago

Strange how he seems to be in most of the photos

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Im truly saddened to hear this
I had a number of disagreements with Andy over differing points of view, but
despite this it was obvious to me he was a gentleman with great integrity
and knowledge covering many subjects, that he was able and willing to share
with other people on this group.
My heartfelt condolences go to his family and all his friends.

Mark

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I think like you all I have followed the enquiries as the Andy's
whereabouts with increasing concern, and to find that he has died is
truly a great loss. The list of contributors to this thread covers
all the regular members and more, and is a true reflection of the
respect we all hold for him.

I remember his ding-dongs with Dr Drivel - where is he? who is he?;
perhaps DD is a pen name for one of us here just to drive Andy up the
wall. And then his total resistance to anything that wasn't the best,
which was all very well if you could afford that, but he wasn't
prepared to compromise.

So sorry - the world is a poorer place. My thought are with his
family - and so young too.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I, and thousands of manufacturers and retailers of cheap Chinese tools
will miss Andy.

My sincere condolences to his family and real-world friends.

Mike Harding

--
"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Graeme" wrote
Does anyone know how old Andy was?

Not old enough. 8-(

Certainly not old enough. I'd put him at about 55 or 56. I didn't know
Andy other than through his articles here, but I must have met him. It
emerged in a thread a few years back that we overlapped as
undergraduates at Bangor in the 70s. Google's archive records him
saying he was there from '72 to '75.

The month's silence was ominous, and the news is quite a shock. I add
my condolences.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

As a relative new comer and lurker, I can see how much of a loss this
will be not only to this group but also, undoubtedly, to those closer
to Andy. Not to mention the manufacturers and vendors of premium
tools.
A sad loss all round. RIP Andy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
As a relative new comer and lurker, I can see how much of a loss this
will be not only to this group but also, undoubtedly, to those closer
to Andy. Not to mention the manufacturers and vendors of premium
tools.
A sad loss all round. RIP Andy.

I've been arguing with Andy for longer than I care to remember, but I
don't think we ever fell out. Despite not agreeing on anything, I shall
miss his consistency and reasoned arguments
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Andy Cap writes:

Beautifully put. May I take the opportunity to add my condolences.
The response here has been truly touching and as other have said, I
hope his family can see the appreciative sentiment expressed in this
NG.

What I could do is put together a card with the relevant paragraphs
quoted from this thread attached. It is very touching, I've got quite
a lump in my throat just reading through them. I won't do anything
until sometime next week, to allow those who dip into the newsgroup
less often the opportunity to comment. (May need a little editing
to move them from a brash Usenet context to an In Memorium context.)

Maybe we should engrave a summary on a piece of laminate flooring with an
Aldi Dremel clone? That would make him laugh.

I still can't believe it. So sad.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:16:35 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

I've been arguing with Andy for longer than I care to remember, but I
don't think we ever fell out. Despite not agreeing on anything, I shall
miss his consistency and reasoned arguments

If there is any form of continued existence I suspect their QC
department is going to have a real problem on their hands when they
have to explain to Andy his re-location was due to faulty pipework.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Folks,
I'm really sad to report that Andy died in the early hours of
Saturday 9th August following a massive stroke.

Oh, wow. Having been aware of Andy's absence for the last few weeks, as
soon as I saw Andrew's email header I had that sinking feeling in my
stomach.

What a sad loss. Andy will really be missed round here; he's certainly
helped me out on diy stuff over the years on more occasions than I can
begin to count.

Please convey my sympathy to his family, too.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm late to the wake, but I'll add my own condolences to the family,
and also say that he'll be missed.

I can only aspire to the thoughtful and knowledgeable contributions he
made to uk.d-i-y. I'm glad that people like him take the time and
trouble to help others using his extensive experience. As others have
said, a gentleman, and the kind of person who makes life better for
everyone, not just himself.

Sid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've been arguing with Andy for longer than I care to remember, but I
don't think we ever fell out. Despite not agreeing on anything, I shall
miss his consistency and reasoned arguments

If there is any form of continued existence I suspect their QC
department is going to have a real problem on their hands when they
have to explain to Andy his re-location was due to faulty pipework.

Resting in peace? I don't think so somehow :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Like everyone I can only say that is truly bad news.
I enjoyed his contributions here; his clear thinking, tenacity of
expression, a determination never to settle for second best.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I spoke with his wife today, and she tells me that she too
is into DIY, although probably not quite to the same extent
as Andy.

I've already expressed my respects and condolences in an earlier post, but
Andrew's sentence which I quote here made me stop and think further.

I wonder just *how* technically minded Mrs Hall is - and how well she
understands the various innovations which Andy will have introduced to their
home. For example, I know from his post that he had a fairly sophisticated
control system on his central heating, with effectively one zone per room.
Does she know how to adjust that when needed, etc.?

And the same must surely apply to many of us, if we have wives/partners who
are less technical than we are. If any of us were to go to bed one night in
seemingly good health - but wake up dead the next morning like poor old
Andy - how well would our partners cope with things like programmable
thermostats, not to mention computer networks, audio/video distribution
systems, internet banking arrangements, etc. etc.

I do, from time to time, try to prepare for such an eventuality by
documenting stuff and putting it in a safe place - but the trouble is that
much of it goes out of date quite quickly. What do others do?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

I wonder just *how* technically minded Mrs Hall is - and how well she
understands the various innovations which Andy will have introduced to
their home.

I think that shows a lack of understanding of women.

For example, I know from his post that he had a fairly sophisticated
control system on his central heating, with effectively one zone per room.
Does she know how to adjust that when needed, etc.?

Since he was away for much of the time I'm sure she does.

And the same must surely apply to many of us, if we have wives/partners
who are less technical than we are. If any of us were to go to bed one
night in seemingly good health - but wake up dead the next morning like
poor old Andy - how well would our partners cope with things like
programmable thermostats,

Oh for goodness sake!

I'm not at all alone in having no problem with such things. I just wouldn't
want to have to do any actual re-plumbing, luckily I have plenty of sons who
are capable and willing to do that (aka show off how clever they are to
their poor frail white haired old mother - who taught them much of it).

not to mention computer networks, audio/video distribution systems,
internet banking arrangements, etc. etc.

Has it occurred to you that many husbands have no idea about these? Mine for
instance, has always left finance to me and if he has a computer problem
comes to ask me to fix it - even though he built the few we've had.

As for more important things like baking, cooking etc., he *could* do it but
I doubt that he would ever make more than a pizza.

I once stayed with some very wealthy friends in Puget Sound. The wife,
musing, asked her husband, if she died first, would he ever change the bed
linen? He thought a bit and said that he supposed he wouldn't. The other
husbands at that dinner party all said the same. Some things simply don't
occur to men. Some men.

Same applies to some women but I do object to men making assumptions.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:28:53 UTC, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

I wonder just *how* technically minded Mrs Hall is - and how well she
understands the various innovations which Andy will have introduced to their
home. For example, I know from his post that he had a fairly sophisticated
control system on his central heating, with effectively one zone per room.
Does she know how to adjust that when needed, etc.?

I suspect so...I understand that Andy travelled a fair amount.

And the same must surely apply to many of us, if we have wives/partners who
are less technical than we are. If any of us were to go to bed one night in
seemingly good health - but wake up dead the next morning like poor old
Andy - how well would our partners cope with things like programmable
thermostats, not to mention computer networks, audio/video distribution
systems, internet banking arrangements, etc. etc.

The only thing my wife doesn't have full information about is the
computers and networks. But she educates people to HND level in
computing (not IT) so that's lucky. That, and the logbook for each of
the 12 main machines in the house, plus one for the network, contains
all she needs.

I reviewed all this when I had my last^H^H^H^H most recent cancer
diagnosis last January. Nothing serious (so far) but made me stop and
think!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Sep 2008 09:39:41 GMT, in uk.d-i-y
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Folks,
I'm really sad to report that Andy died in the early hours of
Saturday 9th August following a massive stroke.

Oh dear, I am gutted at that. We should have realised it would take a
lot more than another of Andy's epic jaunts around Europe, the far east,
S. Africa or America to keep him away from here for more than a few
days.

I first met Andy in the early 80's, when he was commissioning a fancy
new piece of microprocessor development kit for us in British Aerospace,
before his career really took off. This kit ran the (then) mysterious
Unix system, and Andy took extra time out to teach me the basics of it -
he was clearly an expert in Unix and comms even then - and I owe him a
lot for getting me started in Unix and its offshoots. He moved on to the
more esoteric technologies that now keep the web in good shape, and we
lost touch until meeting up again in cyberspace, courtesy of uk.d-i-y,
and then in person at that DIY meet in London in 2001. I met him again a
couple of times at the 2004 meets in Exeter, where he recommended the
hotel he was staying at - I guessed then it was not going to be cheap,
but as in all things Andy did, it was the quality that mattered, not the
cost*. That's not to say he was a snob, far from it, Andy was as
comfortable as the rest of us supping ale (so long as it was a good
one!) in any pub, along with a bar meal. He never once mentioned he was
a Technical Director, nor indeed what his job was, and in discussions on
here never pulled rank, relying on logic and his knowledge in a very
wide range of topics to fire his many debates.

Andy's death is a very sad loss, and though I only met him a few times
he was a genuinely *NICE GUY*, and as others have said, a gentleman in
the real sense. I am proud to count myself amongst those that have
received much helpful advice from him, both as direct answers and from
his host of helpful responses to others. My usenet filters have for
years been set up to capture posts authored by "Andy Hall".

I will miss posts ending with ".andy". Please add me to the condolense
card list (if there is room!).

*Yes, it was expensive, but a damn good hotel.

Phil

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
Folks,
I'm really sad to report that Andy died in the early hours of
Saturday 9th August following a massive stroke. He didn't wake
up on Friday morning and was taken into hospital, where his
condition worsened and the decision was made to switch off
life support systems. It's not thought he would have been
aware of his situation.

I suspect you can be forgiven from all on uk d-i-y for getting the days
wrong on Andy's demise. :-(

For Andy Hall The Medway Handyman UK diy 21 July 20th 07 02:06 PM
Ping Andy Hall The Medway Handyman UK diy 1 May 30th 07 08:46 PM
Paging Andy Hall Graeme UK diy 7 May 29th 07 08:41 PM
Paging Andy Hall Dan delaMare-Lyon UK diy 9 July 19th 06 07:14 PM
One for Andy Hall :-) david lang UK diy 21 October 12th 05 12:00 PM