Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cables through joists

Hello,

I was reading the on site guide, kindly provided by someone here
(thanks), about drilling through joists. It says holes should be
drilled between 0.25 and 0.4 x the joist span and notches should be
cut between 0.1 and 0.25 x joist span.

Now I am a bit confused about this. Why can you notch 0.1 x the span
but not drill until 0.25 x the span? Surely if it is structurally safe
to do one, it ought to be safe to do the other? I would have thought
drilling a small hole is always better than notching because notching
reduces the effective depth of the joist?

I notice that these limits keep the notches and the holes in different
zones and that must be a good thing. Is that the reason they ask for
holes to be drilled further along so that no "plant pot" drills a hole
beneath a notch and seriously weakens the joist?

Why can't you drill halfway along the joist? If you can drill at a
point 0.4 times the span from each end, you are pretty close to the
centre already, so why is dead centre kept free? I knew from posts I
had read here not to cut at the ends of joists but I never knew the
centre had to be untouched. Why?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
[...]

The answers to all these questions lie in the stress distribution
withing the beam under assumed normal loading.

The tensile and compressive forces increae from teh center of the beam
vertically where they are zero to a maxiumum at the top and the bottom.
This is why holes through the vertical center are best,.

The actual horizontal stresses increase *along* the beam from zero at
the walls, to a maximum at the center, which is why you dont want holes
or notches in the middle. Likewise any Euler instability type vertical
compressive effects peak at the center. In this sense teh center later
of the beam functions to keep the top and bottom bits apart: it doen't
need to be THAT strong, but it does need to be REASONAbLY strong. Also,
a floor nailed on top shifts the effective beam center pretty high up
the beam. so the center for a well nailed/screwed floor over a beam is
actually somewhat above the beam center line.

That is why notches are best near the walls.

Now as to why *holes* near the walls are not ideal, I suuspect that is
becaus there is a huge VERTICAL compressive force near the supports.
This doesn't impact on a notch on top, but a hole in the middle could
collapse, dropping the beam end somewhat.

Since all of this analysis is well beyond teh average builder, sets of
'rules' are developed that basically identify the optimal places to put
notches and holes: follow them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

While you are at it, check to see if the joists actually reach the walls.
When I went to move the rads in our old (100y) house, I was 'amused' to find
how many of the ends had rotted off, and how those that had ended in the
fireplaces had the ends charred away (That's springy man.). In effect, it
was the floorboards that were holding it up, so you may find, that in an old
house, when you lift boards to make your holes or notches, you may
experience a sinking feeling... I had to prop up a ceiling and suspended
ceiling below, whilst bolting on joist extensions. Fun fun fun, just to
move a rad!

can I make long cables, other than co-ax cables mm Electronics Repair 9 April 13th 08 01:52 AM
Cables & Joists ac1951[_2_] UK diy 3 March 11th 08 09:57 PM
N Cables Eric Layman Electronics 0 July 28th 06 03:40 AM
Drill holes, cables and joists Jim Ingram UK diy 1 February 11th 06 11:41 PM
How many TV cables to run? Pandora UK diy 7 July 26th 05 09:11 PM