Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Prestige Aluminium pressure cooker query

Hi folks,

I have a Prestige Hi-dome Aluminium pressure cooker which has done a good
few years sterling service. Recently I noticed the component which supports
the weight set (called I believe the weight support!) was slack. I took it
apart before I tightened it and noticed what appeared to be the flattened
remnants of an o-ring (on the outside of the pressure cooker) between it
and the top of the dome.

I have tightened it up again and all seems well but I assume this o-ring has
worn out and requires replacement. I can't find this part listed anywhere on
the net (please note I'm NOT referring to the gasket for the lid seal). Does
it have to be a special o-ring to resist the heat/steam/pressure, or can I
use one from one of my many tubs of "useful things I never threw out in the
hope of finding a use for one day" :-)

Thanks for any help,

Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nigel Robb wrote:
[...]

Standard O ring should be fine or if you don't have the right size ( I
never seem to despite hoarding the damn things) the some ptfe tape will
be fine and food safe too!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:38:37 +0100, "Nigel Robb"
wrote:

[...]

I have had a look at my Tower Pr Cooker and it has a small fibre
washer( reddish in colour) under the weights support .The other two
valves on top also have the same .No "O Rings" in sight . Are you sure
it's not the remains of a black fibre washer that you saw ?

Try asking the Manfrs .They have a form on the site for enquiries and
possibly there is a 'phone number as well.

http://www.meyergroup.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I recall it being a fibre washer. An "O" ring may squash and pop out under
pressure. (IMHO)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks for the input, will have a closer look. Did use the email form to ask
Meyer, but it bounced back for some reason so will phone them and post the
answer up here in case anyone has the same query in the future.

Pressure washer query TMC UK diy 8 April 15th 07 11:40 AM
Combi boiler - pressure query PJK UK diy 6 January 31st 07 11:19 PM
aluminium fixings for glass shower partition query THOMAS PATTON UK diy 2 October 29th 06 06:04 PM
Repair of Pressure Cooker (by a nitwit) Loren A. Coe Metalworking 9 February 21st 04 10:28 PM
LPG cooker - gas supply query drlurch UK diy 2 July 14th 03 11:58 AM