Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water meter - yellow key?

Hello people,

Trying to stop the water supply and have found the water meter on the
street, Thrown in is a plastic yellow key. Is there any way of
isolating the water via the meter and is the yellow key relevant?

Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hello people,

Trying to stop the water supply and have found the water meter on the
street, Thrown in is a plastic yellow key. Is there any way of
isolating the water via the meter and is the yellow key relevant?

Cheers.

my water meter point (there isn't actually a meter in there, but it can
accept one) has a square "nut" type thing - is you meter in the street,
under a cover like this?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/159...4d1d5f.jpg?v=0

The yellow keys I have seen are normally ones for gas cupboards (with a
triangle shape hole in the key) is this what you have?

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Sep, 19:24, "Toby" wrote:
wrote in message

Hello people,

Trying to stop the water supply and have found the water meter on the
street, Thrown in is a plastic yellow key. Is there any way of
isolating the water via the meter and is the yellow key relevant?

Cheers.

my water meter point (there isn't actually a meter in there, but it can
accept one) has a square "nut" type thing - is you meter in the street,
under a cover like this?http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/159...4d1d5f.jpg?v=0

The yellow keys I have seen are normally ones for gas cupboards (with a
triangle shape hole in the key) is this what you have?

Toby...

No, it's a long plastic key...similar to a gas cupboard one but much
longer and pretty flexible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 3 Sep, 19:24, "Toby" wrote:
wrote in message

Hello people,

Trying to stop the water supply and have found the water meter on the
street, Thrown in is a plastic yellow key. Is there any way of
isolating the water via the meter and is the yellow key relevant?

Cheers.

my water meter point (there isn't actually a meter in there, but it can
accept one) has a square "nut" type thing - is you meter in the street,
under a cover like
this?http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/159...4d1d5f.jpg?v=0

The yellow keys I have seen are normally ones for gas cupboards (with a
triangle shape hole in the key) is this what you have?

Toby...

No, it's a long plastic key...similar to a gas cupboard one but much
longer and pretty flexible.

Okay, but is the meter located outside in the street?
If so, have a look and see if you can find something the key fits on!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
writes
On 3 Sep, 19:24, "Toby" wrote:
wrote in message

Hello people,

Trying to stop the water supply and have found the water meter on the
street, Thrown in is a plastic yellow key. Is there any way of
isolating the water via the meter and is the yellow key relevant?

Cheers.

my water meter point (there isn't actually a meter in there, but it can
accept one) has a square "nut" type thing - is you meter in the street,
under a cover like
this?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/159...4d1d5f.jpg?v=0

The yellow keys I have seen are normally ones for gas cupboards (with a
triangle shape hole in the key) is this what you have?

Toby...

No, it's a long plastic key...similar to a gas cupboard one but much
longer and pretty flexible.

It should fit the shut off valve attached to the water meter. Don't lose
it, they are rather hard to come by.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 23:05:15 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message
,
writes
On 3 Sep, 19:24, "Toby" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

If it's the bit I'm thinking it is, they are designed to break first
rather than let you abuse the shut off in the ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Sep, 23:05, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
writes

On 3 Sep, 19:24, "Toby" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Well, from the scant look I had I couldn't see where the key went
unless you have to remove the meter reading head first. But I've left
it now anyway.