Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HOW MUCH? Part-P and new sockets in kitchen costs

On 28 Aug, 20:55, Jon wrote:

It's ironic how my missus' ex was a qualified sparkie ... but before
we moved out of the last house which they lived together in
previously, I had to cable in a new circuit for the existing electric
shower. The not-so-bright sparkie had taken the feed for the shower
off the cooker main. The cooker in the house at the time was gas, but
if the person buying the house (a single mum in the end) brought in an
electric cooker and her son had a shower when she was cooking tea ...
I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I'd sold someone a house that had
potentially dangerous wiring, even thought it wasn't my work.

This is why I D-I-Y. Just because a "pro" does the work doesn't mean
it's of a certain standard.

Jon

I could have got the wrong end of the stick here but, assuming the
cooker and shower were wired in parallel(I believe the term would be
radial circuit), all with the correct wire size,with good joints and
the correct fuse, all that should happen is that the fuse would blow
leaving both the cooker and shower dead. Not that I think it's exactly
good practice to do (saving up agro for later).

Martin