Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default Bidet drain information please

Done most plumbing jobs but bidets are completely new territory. Am
wondering about what problems there would be installing one.

Due to constricted space around the stack pipe area in our (upstairs)
bathroom, I am expecting that the connection to the foul waste system
may be the hardest thing to resolve.

Q1: what is the standard method of connecting a bidet to a typical UK
plumbing foul drainage system? ie is it connected in a similar way as
a wc using the same size connectors; or is connected like a bath using
smaller size waste fittings?

Q2: The final part of the waste run (about 1m long) to the stack pipe
from the bath is in 50mm dia. (It runs between the floor joists.)
Could a bidet waste outflow be inserted into this, without risk of
backup into the bath?

TIA for any & all help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

I also am fixing up my bathroom and fitting a Bidet not sure if this
helps but i got a great deal on a bathroom suite from http://www.truerooms.com/
they offer free UK delivery.

Hope this helps,

John.

On 22 Aug, 23:07, jim wrote:
Done most plumbing jobs but bidets are completely new territory. *Am
wondering about what problems there would be installing one.

Due to constricted space around the stack pipe area in our (upstairs)
bathroom, I am expecting that the connection to the foul waste system
may be the hardest thing to resolve.

Q1: what is the standard method of connecting a bidet to a typical UK
plumbing foul drainage system? *ie is it connected in a similar way as
a wc using the same size connectors; or is connected like a bath using
smaller size waste fittings?

Q2: *The final part of the waste run (about 1m long) to the stack pipe
from the bath is in 50mm dia. *(It runs between the floor joists.)
Could a bidet waste outflow be inserted into this, without risk of
backup into the bath?

TIA for any & all help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
jim wrote:
Q1: what is the standard method of connecting a bidet to a typical UK
plumbing foul drainage system? ie is it connected in a similar way as
a wc using the same size connectors; or is connected like a bath using
smaller size waste fittings?

Mine uses wash hand basin size. And has room for a standard size trap
inside the back.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello

Q1: what is the standard method of connecting a bidet to a typical UK
plumbing foul drainage system? ie is it connected in a similar way as
a wc using the same size connectors; or is connected like a bath using
smaller size waste fittings?

Use the same size you would use for a washbasin sink. At the end of
the day the amount of water outflowing from a bidet is certainly less
or at most equal to the amount of water outflowing from a washbasin,

Q2: The final part of the waste run (about 1m long) to the stack pipe
from the bath is in 50mm dia. (It runs between the floor joists.)
Could a bidet waste outflow be inserted into this, without risk of
backup into the bath?

I have washbasin, bath & bidet on the very same waste pipe on a very
gentle slope, a shallow trap for the bath and never got any problem at
all.

In those countries where bidets are fitted as a standard in bathrooms,
they are generally attached to the washbasin waste pipe , both of the
same size.

Hope it helps. Good luck

W.

TIA for any & all help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:36:18 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
jim wrote:
Q1: what is the standard method of connecting a bidet to a typical UK
plumbing foul drainage system? ie is it connected in a similar way as
a wc using the same size connectors; or is connected like a bath using
smaller size waste fittings?

Mine uses wash hand basin size. And has room for a standard size trap
inside the back.

Does anybody _honestly_ use a bidet nowadays, or is it just a
perpetuated one of those 'de-rigeur' 1970s accessories?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:07:28 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be jim
wrote this:-

Q1: what is the standard method of connecting a bidet to a typical UK
plumbing foul drainage system? ie is it connected in a similar way as
a wc using the same size connectors; or is connected like a bath using
smaller size waste fittings?

The latter. Can't remember whether it is 32mm or 40mm in size. Best
not to use a bottle trap.

Q2: The final part of the waste run (about 1m long) to the stack pipe
from the bath is in 50mm dia. (It runs between the floor joists.)
Could a bidet waste outflow be inserted into this, without risk of
backup into the bath?

No. There will always be a risk [1]. However, the risk can be
minimised so that it is acceptably low. If that is the case in your
circumstances depends on the precise pipe layout and arrangement of
fittings.

[1] for example if the connection to the stack became blocked
somehow. Have you ever considered what would happen if the stack
became blocked at the bottom, where it turns into the drains. In
many houses the first warning of this would be when the toilet
flushings started to appear in the kitchen sink. This is a risk in
single pipe drainage systems, but the risk is managed to be
acceptably low.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
Hi,

I also am fixing up my bathroom and fitting a Bidet not sure if this
helps but i got a great deal on a bathroom suite from http://www.truerooms.com/
they offer free UK delivery.

Hope this helps,

John.

What are you up to John?

Are you a spamming git working for DIY Trader/Taps2Less/Truerooms?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Mine uses wash hand basin size. And has room for a standard size trap
inside the back.

Does anybody _honestly_ use a bidet nowadays, or is it just a
perpetuated one of those 'de-rigeur' 1970s accessories?

Yup. It's an ideal not easily missed ashtray next to the bog.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

inside the back.

Does anybody _honestly_ use a bidet nowadays, or is it just a
perpetuated one of those 'de-rigeur' 1970s accessories?

How else do you wash your feet???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:46:48 +0100, Chewbacca wrote:

inside the back.

Does anybody _honestly_ use a bidet nowadays, or is it just a
perpetuated one of those 'de-rigeur' 1970s accessories?

How else do you wash your feet???

Also good for washing your balls. At least that's what a golfer once told
me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 23 Aug, 00:47, Woland wrote:
Hello

hello!
//snip//

In those countries where bidets are fitted as a standard in bathrooms,
they are generally attached to the washbasin waste pipe , both of the
same size.

Hope it helps.

It does indeed - just exactly the info I was after

Good luck

thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 23 Aug, 01:17, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:36:18 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

//snip//

Does anybody _honestly_ use a bidet nowadays, or is it just a
perpetuated one of those 'de-rigeur' 1970s accessories?

Interesting...

my post was about deciding whether Arthur C Clarke project stage 1
applied, viz

"It can't be done"

uk.d-i-y came into its own & convinced me it can - thanks to one and
all who replied.

Your post moved it into stage 2 in Clarke's sheme of things:

"You don't need it"

Missus says we do ;-)

Missus immediately got us past stage 3:

"You can't afford it."

Missus says we can.

When it is installed I'll be selling ringside seats for Clarke's stage
4:

"The fight over who thought of it first....."

Actually, in answer to your query, I suspect there is quite a latent,
unspoken, demand for bidets amongst the fairer sex. There also seems
to be some demand amongst the infirm and disabled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Mine uses wash hand basin size. And has room for a standard size trap
inside the back.

Does anybody _honestly_ use a bidet nowadays, or is it just a
perpetuated one of those 'de-rigeur' 1970s accessories?

Yup. It's an ideal not easily missed ashtray next to the bog.

A neighbour had one installed with her new bathroom suite.

The w.c. is in a separate room.

I've never understood the point.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chewbacca" wrote in message
inside the back.

Does anybody _honestly_ use a bidet nowadays, or is it just a
perpetuated one of those 'de-rigeur' 1970s accessories?

How else do you wash your feet???

The bath, sink or washbasin. Can't you stretch that high?

bidet problem Solomon Home Repair 16 January 24th 14 03:13 AM
Bidet installation dean Home Repair 22 February 16th 06 01:22 PM
modifying a bidet (with ant hills) Todd H. Home Repair 3 November 1st 05 07:16 PM
Installing a bidet [email protected] Home Repair 8 November 1st 05 03:51 PM
Plumbing a bidet Peter Taylor UK diy 22 March 17th 04 09:38 AM