Senior Member

Default Faulty power flush?

Three days ago a power flush of the central heating system in my house was done by one of the engineers of a well known medium size plumbing business in London, C Anderson & Sons.

He spent over 4 hours to do the job and used a big machine connected to the pipes of a radiator that was disassembled. My system has 23 radiators and two boilers over four floors.

Yesterday, I had the Vokera boiler engineer come to fix one of the boilers. When a water pressure valve was changed a good amount of water from the central heating system was released.

The problem is that that water was very black. As black as it was before the power flush. I have kept a jar with it.

The Vokera engineer said that, in his opinion, that water should be much clearer right after the power flush and that it does not seem to have been done properly.

Is it normal that water is so dirty right after a power flush?

The heating in my house has been working reasonably well, but I have had a few problems with control valves over the years and, recently, major problems with the boilers. Perhaps due to the dirty water. I do want to avoid the risk of further problems caused by dirty water.

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
asalcedo writes:

[...]

No, it wasn't done properly. You have cast iron (or rusted iron;-)
evidence and you can add that the boiler engineer said it wasn't done
right. Personally I wouldn't bother with a power flush, but since
you already paid for one, I would get them back to do it properly.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Senior Member

They are going to fit new boilers and do the power flush again.

I have now researched further this matter. There seems to be an industry standard for TDS (Total disolved solids) and pH after a power flush. What are these values?

Last edited by asalcedo : August 22nd 08 at 11:32 PM
Senior Member

They are going to fit new boilers and do the power flush again.

I have now researched further this matter. There seems to be an industry standard for TDS (Total disolved solids) and pH after a power flush. What are these values?

Faulty TV - Tube or power supply? FunkAndLove Electronics Repair 4 September 21st 06 05:17 AM
Possibly faulty seal beneath the flush valve in a 1935 antique Toilet T. T. Home Repair 10 July 26th 06 01:02 PM
Faulty Thermostat Causes Homeowner's Power Bills To Skyrocket edb Home Repair 3 July 19th 06 06:24 PM
Power flush Matthew UK diy 2 November 1st 05 10:16 PM
Crane power flush ok? [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 27th 05 12:11 AM