Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default earth connection

SES have moved the electricity supply cable to it's final resting place
(meter cupboard) in the renovation.

They confirmed that I could do away with the earth rod as the supply is
PME.

I want to move the earth cable asap as it's in the way but can't figure
where the it should connect.

http://www.engelside.co.uk/bulkington/pic1.jpg shows the incoming fuse
(just below the meter). The cloverleaf shaped plug when removed has 4
screws underneath http://www.engelside.co.uk/bulkington/pic2.jpg.

http://www.engelside.co.uk/bulkington/pic3.jpg shows the supply cable
entering the fuse block.

Do I have to pull the fuse so that I can connect the earth cable or am I
missing something?

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Carroll wrote:
SES have moved the electricity supply cable to it's final resting place
(meter cupboard) in the renovation.

They confirmed that I could do away with the earth rod as the supply is
PME.

I want to move the earth cable asap as it's in the way but can't figure
where the it should connect.

http://www.engelside.co.uk/bulkington/pic1.jpg shows the incoming fuse
(just below the meter). The cloverleaf shaped plug when removed has 4
screws underneath http://www.engelside.co.uk/bulkington/pic2.jpg.

http://www.engelside.co.uk/bulkington/pic3.jpg shows the supply cable
entering the fuse block.

Do I have to pull the fuse so that I can connect the earth cable or am I
missing something?

Cheers

Martin

Have a look here (brochure page 3/ pdf page 4):

http://www.lucyswitchgear.com/media/...utbrochure.pdf

Looks like you have a SPNE 100 House Service Cut Out

As you can see from the photo, you have to pull the fuse to remove the
cover on the Neutral/Earth terminal. It looks like you can then offer up
your earth wire from the top or bottom. If either the top or bottom
already has an access hole which is unblocked, you should use that if
there is no compelling reason to do otherwise.

HTH Rumble
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 18:51, Martin Carroll wrote:
[...]

You do not make the connection to the REC apparatus, they do.
A PME system has various basic requirements which the REC should
confirm have been met before they make the connection.
There is probably a thin knockout section in the plastic at the right
hand side of the cloverleaf screw section where you can enter the
brass block within the casing with a 16mm2 earth conductor

Provide the 16mm connection from your main earth terminal and ask for
it to be connected to the cut-out
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Martin.

At the side of the cutout where the cloverleaf is, is a recess. The plastic
in this recess is a knock and can be knocked out with a screwdriver and a
hammer. You then make your connection in hear. You do not need to remove the
cutout fuse, they have been designed for this reason.

One observation I have is that the tails seem small for a new installation.

Good luck

Steve Dawson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stephen Dawson
writes

[...]

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info.

I actually did it today, as you say the recess on the right has a
knockout which was easily pierced.

I did remove the fuse, I suspected that it was not really necessary but
"belt n braces" and all that 8-)

As regards the tails, they are temporary. They are only connected to a
small CU which is running 1 double socket and a few lights. I am
starting 1st fix in a couple of weeks and will be putting new tails in.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll