Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connection to Earth Spike

Staying at a friends cottage in Cornwall next week. Last time I was
there I noticed that the cable to the earth spike (it's a TT supply
via overhead cable) was just wrapped around the spike with a bit of
insulating tape holding it in place! While I'm doing a few other bits
of maintenance work around the place I thought I'd at least make a
better connection. What's the correct way to do this, a clamp such as
used on copper water pipe, or something more robust?

(the whole electrical system is ancient, and I've told the owner this,
but I'm not planning on tinkering with anything else).

Thanks, David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
Staying at a friends cottage in Cornwall next week. Last time I was
there I noticed that the cable to the earth spike (it's a TT supply
via overhead cable) was just wrapped around the spike with a bit of
insulating tape holding it in place! While I'm doing a few other bits
of maintenance work around the place I thought I'd at least make a
better connection. What's the correct way to do this, a clamp such as
used on copper water pipe, or something more robust?

(the whole electrical system is ancient, and I've told the owner this,
but I'm not planning on tinkering with anything else).

Thanks, David.

Leave it alone,because if things start going iffy with electrics he/she will
start blaming you.
And lets be honest if there hasn't been any problems since it was done that
way then things are best left alone.

The moral of the story is...
If its working don't meddle

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ing/index.html

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George coughed up some electrons that declared:

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

How would anyone know it's working? Until it's too late...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

And then how would you feel, having known about it? An earth that is not
connected properly can only be improved. If you *know* somthing is wrong and
you can improve it then you have a moral duty to do so. If you are not sure
what is right or are not sure how to improve it then I agree, you have a
moral duty not to meddle (but to take all steps to advise and warn).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George wrote:
"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

Before that quip holds you'd have to test the earth to make sure it *is*
working. Not just leave it until a fault makes it essential to protect
from injury or death - after all that's its purpose.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you *know* somthing is wrong and
you can improve it then you have a moral duty to do so.

No, moral duty extends no further than warning. If the owner chooses
to ignore the warning, it's their choice. If ignoring the warning is a
wider danger (e.g. shop, business premises etc), then you have to
consider informing a relevant authority.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:53:51 +0100, DavidM
wrote:

Staying at a friends cottage in Cornwall next week. Last time I was
there I noticed that the cable to the earth spike (it's a TT supply
via overhead cable) was just wrapped around the spike with a bit of
insulating tape holding it in place! While I'm doing a few other bits
of maintenance work around the place I thought I'd at least make a
better connection. What's the correct way to do this, a clamp such as
used on copper water pipe, or something more robust?

(the whole electrical system is ancient, and I've told the owner this,
but I'm not planning on tinkering with anything else).

Thanks, David.

Thanks for all the input. On balance I will do the necessary to make a
better connection between the earth cable and the spike. I'd rather it
not be me or my wife (or anyone else to be honest) to find out the
hard way that it's dangerous at the moment!
I assume that it's best to switch off the incoming power (at the
"CU"s) before doing this.
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
Staying at a friends cottage in Cornwall next week. Last time I was
there I noticed that the cable to the earth spike (it's a TT supply
via overhead cable) was just wrapped around the spike with a bit of
insulating tape holding it in place! While I'm doing a few other bits
of maintenance work around the place I thought I'd at least make a
better connection. What's the correct way to do this, a clamp such as
used on copper water pipe, or something more robust?

You need a clamp designed for the purpose, and it ought to be in a
suitable terminal cover. See the TLC page Dave P linked to.

You ought to test the earth loop impedance as well and make sure the
RCDs are operating correctly.

--
Cheers,

John.