Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using exterior polyfilla to skim stonework?

Has anyone done this?
I have been asked to paint the stonework on the front of a semi
detached house that was previously covered with many layers of paint
and has been stripped with back to the stone with chemicals.

The surface has been damaged all over by the paint removal and has an
orange peel finish.
The owner has told me he would like it to look like his neighbours
which is in very good condition.
To acheive this I would have to go over the whole surface with filler.

The deep holes and cracks I am ok with but spreading it like butter?
I am not sure how long it would last.
He has provided me with Polyfilla exterior filler, Toupret and some
epoxy mortar (which says not to feather it).

Has anyone done this and regretted it?
I am think of suggesting a couple of coats of masonry paint, electric
sanding to smooth and then a coat to finish. Anyone tried that?

Thanks, Brendan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rednadnerb wrote:
[...]

Skimming with exterior filler works quite well on bare render, but
you're probably looking at 25kg bags rather than retail sizes.
Sounds like your customer needs a plasterer before a painter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, when I say skimming, I don't really mean laying it on 3mm thick,
just enough to fill the pores then rub down.
It's only the stone mullions around the windows at the front of the
house so not a huge area.

I have a feeling that with no depth it would soon crack and peel
underneath the paint. Anyone done it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 14:49, Rednadnerb wrote:
[...]

Dear Brendan
Personally, I would use SBR and VERY fine sand or ground stone
particles as my filler
Chris G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 19:55, wrote:
[...]

Chris G- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Chris, that is a serious looking product but I don't think I
like the waterproofing aspect of it for this application.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rednadnerb wrote:

On 18 Aug, 19:55, wrote:
[...]

The waterproofing aspect is desirable because it will help prevent
frost damage to the filler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 20:50, Rednadnerb wrote:
On 18 Aug, 19:55, wrote:

[...]

like the waterproofing aspect of it for this application.- Hide quoted text -

So what is the paint type? IF it is water proof then there is no loss
I suppose it all depends on the porosity of the stone and whether or
not it has some vapour porosity
Given that it is due to be painted I would have suspected that SBR
would not be a problem in most cases and after application it could be
sanded to a smooth finish which would leave some original stone not
pitted without SBR and in its natural state
Chris G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Given that it is due to be painted I would have suspected that SBR
would not be a problem in most cases and after application it could be
sanded to a smooth finish which would leave some original stone not
pitted without SBR and in its natural state
Chris G

I've used SBR in a cement slurry and it's not easy to sand. It's classed
as a synthetic rubber after all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Rednadnerb wrote:
Has anyone done this?
I have been asked to paint the stonework on the front of a semi
detached house that was previously covered with many layers of paint
and has been stripped with back to the stone with chemicals.

The surface has been damaged all over by the paint removal and has an
orange peel finish.
The owner has told me he would like it to look like his neighbours
which is in very good condition.
To acheive this I would have to go over the whole surface with filler.

Exterior Polyfilla used to be a fine mortar but I think it's now something
easier to sand so not so durable. I'd probably make my own using fine
sand. Or a lime putty - although that will take a long time to dry before
painting.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 08:40, stuart noble wrote:
Given that it is due to be painted I would have suspected that SBR
would not be a problem in most cases and after application it could be
sanded to a smooth finish which would leave some original stone not
pitted without SBR and in its natural state
Chris G

I've used SBR in a cement slurry and it's not easy to sand. It's classed
as a synthetic rubber after all.

Good point but with patience and good machines one can do it
I accept it wont be a smooth transition from surface to pit but if
done weak enought to just stick in the holes (which is where its
wanted) I suspect from the sanding I have done with it incorporated
into finish plaster you will get away with it
One point I missed and that was to add some Portland cement to the
fine sand/stone dust
Mea culpa
Chris G

Polyfilla mikesmith UK diy 21 October 1st 07 03:22 PM
FA Cast Stone masonry masons stonework manual 1927 Janey UK diy 0 August 24th 07 11:16 PM
Sealing timber frame to rough stonework ? robgraham UK diy 10 May 30th 07 05:11 PM
Re Drywall skim Why is a skim put onto drywal srazor Woodworking 1 December 12th 06 07:00 AM
Stonework suggestions ? Rob UK diy 3 August 13th 05 10:02 AM