Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rednadnerb Rednadnerb is offline

Default Using exterior polyfilla to skim stonework?

On 18 Aug, 19:55, wrote:
On 18 Aug, 14:49, Rednadnerb wrote:

Has anyone done this?
I have been asked to paint the stonework on the front of a semi
detached house that was previously covered with many layers of paint
and has been stripped with back to the stone with chemicals.

The surface has been damaged all over by the paint removal and has an
orange peel finish.
The owner has told me he would like it to look like his neighbours
which is in very good condition.
To acheive this I would have to go over the whole surface with filler.

The deep holes and cracks I am ok with but spreading it like butter?
I am not sure how long it would last.
He has provided me with Polyfilla exterior filler, Toupret and some
epoxy mortar (which says not to feather it).

Has anyone done this and regretted it?
I am think of suggesting a couple of coats of masonry paint, electric
sanding to smooth and then a coat to finish. Anyone tried that?

Thanks, Brendan.

Dear Brendan
Personally, I would use SBR and VERY fine sand or ground stone
particles as my filler
Chris G- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Chris, that is a serious looking product but I don't think I
like the waterproofing aspect of it for this application.