Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood overlay flooring on vinyl on chipboard

Having ripped up the old carpet, we are getting ready to lay wood
(eucalyptus saligna T&G) over the particle board. An unexpected problem
has arisen in the kitchen, which is now part of one big
kitchen-dining-living room. The vinyl that is glued to the particle
board is very resistant to being removed. (I don't believe that this
has asbestos backing - if so that will be an additional complication).

It has just occurred to me that instead of spending hours and getting
blisters in removing the vinyl, it may be possible to use levelling
compound to smooth the transition to the bare particle board, then
attach the overlay flooring directly to the vinyl. The flooring will be
glued down using Selley's Direct Stick, which a builder friend has
assured me is the ideal adhesive for this purpose. I will consult him
about the vinyl idea, but I'd like to get a second (third, fourth etc.)
opinion from this newsgroup. Will this adhesive stick properly to
vinyl? Any tricks/tips?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 5:17*am, Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

You can look on the tin and see what it says about sticking to
plastic. If gluing the wood down is your choice.

Asbestos isnt a backing, its in old vinyl tiles. No complication, its
well bound and harmless.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 5:59*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:14:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Having ripped up the old carpet, we are getting ready to lay wood
(eucalyptus saligna T&G) over the particle board.

If gluing the wood down is your choice.

Quite, a wood floor needs to move as it expands and contracts with varying
moisture content. I'd have thought overall gluing of a wood floor to any
substrate is asking for trouble. Glueing the boards to each other yes but
not down.

Yes - and I'm not sure I'd even want to glue them together. Thinking
about this though, I expect it would all work out if the wood were
very thin, so it couldnt exert any great force, and if it were already
dried to final water content, thus avoiding any big shrinkage. If its
being glued down all over I expect it could happily be 1/4" thick.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 10:09*pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
wrote:
[...]

http://www.pscleanair.org/regulated/.../asb-vinyl.pdf

predictable stuff, very unrealistic.

NT

Chipboard flooring Pipesliced UK diy 11 February 19th 06 04:56 PM
polystyrene under chipboard flooring [email protected] UK diy 6 February 1st 06 07:41 AM
chipboard flooring neil leslie UK diy 3 January 4th 05 09:24 PM
Best nail for chipboard flooring? John Rumm UK diy 8 May 11th 04 12:35 AM
Chipboard flooring unusual Alex UK diy 1 July 12th 03 11:30 AM