Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default polystyrene under chipboard flooring

Hi,

Advice needed....

I'm renovating an old office and I'm intending to lay 22mm T&G
chipboard over the existing floorboards as they are very old, a little
uneven, and unsuitable for carpet tiles. I was wondering whether it
would be helpful to put 10mm-25mm of expanded polystyrene under the new
chipboard to take up some of the bumps and lumps of old nails, damaged
boards etc as well as possibly improving the sound insulation between
floors. Is there any possibility that the polystrene and the chipboard
could react over time? Would a wood pulp sheet material be more
suitable.

Best regards,

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article . com,
wrote:
I'm renovating an old office and I'm intending to lay 22mm T&G
chipboard over the existing floorboards as they are very old, a little
uneven, and unsuitable for carpet tiles. I was wondering whether it
would be helpful to put 10mm-25mm of expanded polystyrene under the new
chipboard to take up some of the bumps and lumps of old nails, damaged
boards etc as well as possibly improving the sound insulation between
floors. Is there any possibility that the polystrene and the chipboard
could react over time? Would a wood pulp sheet material be more
suitable.

Knock the nails in. Look at the sort of underboard solutions there are for
laminated floors. Decide what you want the material for - the polystyrene may
make most sense for insulation and be too expensive just to make it more even.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I'm renovating an old office and I'm intending to lay 22mm T&G
chipboard over the existing floorboards as they are very old, a little
uneven, and unsuitable for carpet tiles.

It may be better to remove the floorboards before laying the chipboard.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
I'm renovating an old office and I'm intending to lay 22mm T&G
chipboard over the existing floorboards as they are very old, a little
uneven, and unsuitable for carpet tiles. I was wondering whether it
would be helpful to put 10mm-25mm of expanded polystyrene under the new
chipboard to take up some of the bumps and lumps of old nails, damaged
boards etc as well as possibly improving the sound insulation between
floors. Is there any possibility that the polystrene and the chipboard
could react over time? Would a wood pulp sheet material be more
suitable.

This is how the ground floor of a mate's house is constructed, but over
concrete rather than floorboards. So there's no reaction between the poly
and chipboard. I doubt it will help much with sound insulation to you, but
might help the transmission of footsteps downwards. It should help with
heat insulation, though.

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Chipboard flooring Pipesliced UK diy 11 February 19th 06 04:56 PM
chipboard flooring neil leslie UK diy 3 January 4th 05 09:24 PM
Laminate flooring Richard Beri Woodworking 7 August 10th 04 01:07 AM
Best nail for chipboard flooring? John Rumm UK diy 8 May 11th 04 12:35 AM
Chipboard flooring unusual Alex UK diy 1 July 12th 03 11:30 AM