Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall or base cabinets first ?

After a delay of several weeks I'm finally ready to start installing the
cabinets in my kitchen.

The instructions from Wickes say to start with the base cabinets and then do
the wall ones. However to my mind it would be easier to do the wall cabinets
first as the base ones wouldn't be getting in the way nor would they be
covered in dust and debris from drilling etc

Am I missing something obvious and is there a recommended procedure when
installing a kitchen ?

Cheers

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
After a delay of several weeks I'm finally ready to start installing the
cabinets in my kitchen.

The instructions from Wickes say to start with the base cabinets and then do
the wall ones. However to my mind it would be easier to do the wall cabinets
first as the base ones wouldn't be getting in the way nor would they be
covered in dust and debris from drilling etc

Am I missing something obvious and is there a recommended procedure when
installing a kitchen ?

Cheers

Jim

I have always done the base's first then measured the height from them
to get the wall units right and aligned correctly, and that's that how a
kitchen fitter friend works as well

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
After a delay of several weeks I'm finally ready to start installing the
cabinets in my kitchen.

The instructions from Wickes say to start with the base cabinets and then
do the wall ones. However to my mind it would be easier to do the wall
cabinets first as the base ones wouldn't be getting in the way nor would
they be covered in dust and debris from drilling etc

Am I missing something obvious and is there a recommended procedure when
installing a kitchen ?

Cheers

Jim

I have always done the base's first then measured the height from them to
get the wall units right and aligned correctly, and that's that how a
kitchen fitter friend works as well

It can also be easier to tile the gap first. Then you can rest the cabinets
on them rather than having to cut a fiddly little bit out because you
measured wrongly

tim

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
After a delay of several weeks I'm finally ready to start installing the
cabinets in my kitchen.

The instructions from Wickes say to start with the base cabinets and then do
the wall ones. However to my mind it would be easier to do the wall cabinets
first as the base ones wouldn't be getting in the way nor would they be
covered in dust and debris from drilling etc

Am I missing something obvious and is there a recommended procedure when
installing a kitchen ?

Cheers

Jim

I thought the same, but it's better than banging your head as you
position the units and get the work tops in,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

After a delay of several weeks I'm finally ready to start installing the
cabinets in my kitchen.

The instructions from Wickes say to start with the base cabinets and then do
the wall ones. However to my mind it would be easier to do the wall cabinets
first as the base ones wouldn't be getting in the way nor would they be
covered in dust and debris from drilling etc

Am I missing something obvious and is there a recommended procedure when
installing a kitchen ?

Cheers

By fitting the base units first, I found it easier to work on my own
fitting the upper cabinets using 2 pieces of wood to support them while
marking the wall for drilling and screwing them to the wall. Looking
back to doing our kitchen, I would make 2 towers with a wide base and
put an adjustment screw in the top. Fit under the wall cabinet and
adjust the height as required. You can get metric threaded knock in wood
nuts and use hex bolts to fit to adjust where the wall cupboards are not
parallel to each other. Just remember to drill a hole in the top of the
tower to accommodate the bolt tail.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone that replied, looks like the base cabinets are going in
first

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
Thanks to everyone that replied, looks like the base cabinets are going in
first

Jim

There are loads of reasons why that is the correct decision.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Jim wrote:

[...]

On the Wickes wall cabs that I just fitted, there was wall hangers for them,
and precise measurements for positioning them on the instructions. I just
used a B&D laser level, marked the line at each cabinet position, then
marked the hanger bracket positions on that line and as appropriate for the
size of cab, per the instructions. Drilled and plugged the wall and mounted
the brackets. The cabs then just very easily lift on, and secure, very well
I might add, by tightening two screws. Any mispositioning of the brackets
from drill wander or whatever, was very easily taken out, by the levelling
screws, which had a great deal of range - probably +/- 5mm at least. All
very easy, requiring no special jigs or aids to be made or used.

Arfa