Joe

Default Do they make shallow base cabinets?

I have a u-shape kitchen. It has VERY little counter top space because
the center leg of the U is broken up by a door into the backyard. The
fourth wall is entirely blank, and I'd like to add some counter-top
space along it. I can't put a standard 24" deep base cabinet along the
wall because it would stick out further than the lip of the door jam of
the entry into the dining room (any of that make sense?). Are there
shallower base cabinets one can order? How shallow do they go?
Could a cabinet builder make a custom cabinet of, say, 16" deep. This
fourth wall is about 6 feet wide. It is a load bearing wall, but I
could consider moving it back into the front living room behind it if I
had to go with a more expensive option.

Pat

You should be able to order the depth you need. If not it would be easy to
cut the back off a regular depth cabinet.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 08 Jul 2005 10:20:21p, Pat wrote in alt.home.repair:

You should be able to order the depth you need. If not it would be easy
to cut the back off a regular depth cabinet.

Some stock cabinets come in 12" depth as well as 16" or 18", I'm not sure
which.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-2, 07/08/2005
Tested on: 7/8/2005 11:41:06 PM

Cliff Hartle

As standard 30" tall wall cabinet can be set on a 4 1/2" tall base and it
should be the same height as a standard base cabinet.

This will give you a 12" deep base cabinet.

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a u-shape kitchen. It has VERY little counter top space because
the center leg of the U is broken up by a door into the backyard. The
fourth wall is entirely blank, and I'd like to add some counter-top
space along it. I can't put a standard 24" deep base cabinet along the
wall because it would stick out further than the lip of the door jam of
the entry into the dining room (any of that make sense?). Are there
shallower base cabinets one can order? How shallow do they go?
Could a cabinet builder make a custom cabinet of, say, 16" deep. This
fourth wall is about 6 feet wide. It is a load bearing wall, but I
could consider moving it back into the front living room behind it if I
had to go with a more expensive option.

Art Todesco

Just use regular upper 30" high cabinets
which are usually 12" deep. Of course,
you have to add a recessed toe kick, if
you don't want it to be uncomfortable when
standing in front of it. By time you
add the toe kick and the top, it will be
about the
standard lower cabinet height. I didi
this for a small "junk desk" at the end
of a full
height and depth oven stack and it works
well ...... lots of junk (papers, pens,
letter
opener, etc.) alway on that surface.

Joe wrote:
I have a u-shape kitchen. It has VERY little counter top space because
the center leg of the U is broken up by a door into the backyard. The
fourth wall is entirely blank, and I'd like to add some counter-top
space along it. I can't put a standard 24" deep base cabinet along the
wall because it would stick out further than the lip of the door jam of
the entry into the dining room (any of that make sense?). Are there
shallower base cabinets one can order? How shallow do they go?
Could a cabinet builder make a custom cabinet of, say, 16" deep. This
fourth wall is about 6 feet wide. It is a load bearing wall, but I
could consider moving it back into the front living room behind it if I
had to go with a more expensive option.

Colbyt

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a u-shape kitchen. It has VERY little counter top space because
the center leg of the U is broken up by a door into the backyard. The
fourth wall is entirely blank, and I'd like to add some counter-top
space along it. I can't put a standard 24" deep base cabinet along the
wall because it would stick out further than the lip of the door jam of
the entry into the dining room (any of that make sense?). Are there
shallower base cabinets one can order? How shallow do they go?
Could a cabinet builder make a custom cabinet of, say, 16" deep. This
fourth wall is about 6 feet wide. It is a load bearing wall, but I
could consider moving it back into the front living room behind it if I
had to go with a more expensive option.

A custom cabinet maker can make you any size you want.

Stock options include those mentioned by others of using a 30" stock wall
and adding a toekick/base. I have actually done this on three different
projects and pleased each time.

One other option in a stock cabinet is to try and locate some made for
mobile homes. They are made in a 20 or 21" depth.

Colbyt

On 9-Jul-2005, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a u-shape kitchen. It has VERY little counter top
space because
the center leg of the U is broken up by a door into the
backyard. The
fourth wall is entirely blank, and I'd like to add some
counter-top
space along it. I can't put a standard 24" deep base
cabinet along the
wall because it would stick out further than the lip of
the door jam of
the entry into the dining room (any of that make
sense?). Are there
shallower base cabinets one can order?

browsing throught the American Woodmark catalog I see that
most of the base cabinets can be ordered as reduced depth.
Unfortunately I don't see any details jumping out at me as
to what depths are available. I would assume 18" and
possibly 12".
Why not get on the phone to some cabinet suppliers and see
what they offer?

ml
Norminn

Joe wrote:
I have a u-shape kitchen. It has VERY little counter top space because
the center leg of the U is broken up by a door into the backyard. The
fourth wall is entirely blank, and I'd like to add some counter-top
space along it. I can't put a standard 24" deep base cabinet along the
wall because it would stick out further than the lip of the door jam of
the entry into the dining room (any of that make sense?). Are there
shallower base cabinets one can order? How shallow do they go?
Could a cabinet builder make a custom cabinet of, say, 16" deep. This
fourth wall is about 6 feet wide. It is a load bearing wall, but I
could consider moving it back into the front living room behind it if I
had to go with a more expensive option.

There are little triangle shaped shelf units, and using one on the end
of a row of standard cabinets might make the taper fit your situation.

Kathy

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a u-shape kitchen. It has VERY little

counter top space because
the center leg of the U is broken up by a door

into the backyard. The
fourth wall is entirely blank, and I'd like to

add some counter-top
space along it. I can't put a standard 24" deep

base cabinet along the
wall because it would stick out further than the

lip of the door jam of
the entry into the dining room (any of that make

sense?). Are there
shallower base cabinets one can order? How

shallow do they go?
Could a cabinet builder make a custom cabinet of,

say, 16" deep. This
fourth wall is about 6 feet wide. It is a load

bearing wall, but I
could consider moving it back into the front

living room behind it if I
had to go with a more expensive option.

Buy upper cabinets and have a countertop made.

Dean Swinger

Sure most cabinet makers will make any size you want for a price or
you may look in to a stock bathroom vanity cabinet

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:20:21 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

You should be able to order the depth you need. If not it would be easy to
cut the back off a regular depth cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joe, Charles Lyons wrote:
http://homedecoratorscabinetry.homed...Estimator.aspx

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ets-67384-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 04:44:01 +0000, Charles Lyons wrote:

replying to Joe, Charles Lyons wrote:
http://homedecoratorscabinetry.homed...Estimator.aspx

Is there any chance that Joe is still waiting after *eleven years* for
your cabinet source?

Why don't you homeownershub people read DATES?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sam Hill, FatBat wrote:
Some other people still search these posts years later for the same
information, so a *relevant post* never hurts, no matter how late it is.
What's worse is some jerk like you who bothers to post something years later
just to be an ass...so I'll oblige and do the same.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ets-67384-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2016 5:14 AM, FatBat wrote:
replying to Sam Hill, FatBat wrote:
Some other people still search these posts years later for the same
information, so a *relevant post* never hurts, no matter how late it is.
What's worse is some jerk like you who bothers to post something years
later
just to be an ass...so I'll oblige and do the same.

That's puttin' Poofer Sam in place!
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 7:14:05 AM UTC-5, FatBat wrote:

replying to Sam Hill, FatBat wrote:
Some other people still search these posts years later for the same
information, so a *relevant post* never hurts, no matter how late it is.
What's worse is some jerk like you who bothers to post something years later
just to be an ass...so I'll oblige and do the same.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ets-67384-.htm

No, a relevant post never hurts but it's dumbasses like you
who drag them back up and post INSTEAD of creating a brand
spanking NEW post. You could quote the old post if you have
something new to add or a question instead acting like the
original poster has been hanging around 11 years awaiting
your reply.

If you want up-to-date information come to a sight like alt.
home.repair instead of some rinky dink site like 'homeownershub'
who only steals posts from this site in order to drive traffic
to theirs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to FatBat, Katie Belmont wrote:
Exactly, this is the second result on google when I searched "Shallow Cabinet
Base," only being preceded by Ikea, which sells 15" deep base cabinets.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ets-67384-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to FatBat, Jwillgsr40 wrote:
I agree Fat Bat! I am on here today 6/9/2017 looking for answers!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ets-67384-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Pat, Bish wrote:
Hold on there Pat. A much easier method to achieve a shallow base cabinet is
to use wall cabinets (smallest is 12" deep) sitting on a 2x4 stud base. Then
you can have 12", 15" and 18" shallow base cabinets in those tight spaces that
Joe has. I see these posts are from 14 years ago so hopefully you found out
about my solution!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ets-67384-.htm