Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Virus check...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cork Soaker wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I received a suspect mail and sent it off to the virus scan site

Had the same, it's due to your computer being infected by a virus
BEFORE the email.

Assuming your replies, this is a troll, but,

Boot a live CD and scan.

Ask for more help on this, or better yet, Google and learn a ****-load.

Oh dear.

This idiot isn't killfiled here.

Didn't you bother to see I was posting on a Mac, and it couldn't e
infected with a windws virus?

So what are you doing here?
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 10:40*am, Cork Soaker wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Didn't you bother to see I was posting on a Mac, and it couldn't e
infected with a windws virus?

So what are you doing here?

A lot more than you.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Cork Soaker wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I received a suspect mail and sent it off to the virus scan site

Had the same, it's due to your computer being infected by a virus
BEFORE the email.

Assuming your replies, this is a troll, but,

Boot a live CD and scan.

Ask for more help on this, or better yet, Google and learn a ****-load.

Oh dear.

This idiot isn't killfiled here.

Didn't you bother to see I was posting on a Mac, and it couldn't e
infected with a windws virus?

So what are you doing here?

Here being one of cam.misc. uk.d-i-y and uk.telecoms.broadband, nothing
in the posting implies either a PC, or a Linux setup.

And 'live CD' implies Linux, and I have yet to actually see a Mac
infected by a virus. I am sure its possible, but they are as rare as
hen's teeth. Viruses are largely a windows PC phenomenon.

And your advice was patntly wrong.

So?
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher writes:

And 'live CD' implies Linux, and I have yet to actually see a Mac
infected by a virus. I am sure its possible, but they are as rare as
hen's teeth. Viruses are largely a windows PC phenomenon.

I've seen them, but over 10 years ago and back in days of floppy-borne
beasties. One of the joys of working for a university computer
service.

Paul
--
Paul Leyland | Hanging on in quiet desperation is
Dept. of Genetics, Cambridge University | the English way.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:32:56 on Wed,
8 Oct 2008, Paul Leyland remarked:
And 'live CD' implies Linux, and I have yet to actually see a Mac
infected by a virus. I am sure its possible, but they are as rare as
hen's teeth. Viruses are largely a windows PC phenomenon.

I've seen them, but over 10 years ago and back in days of floppy-borne
beasties. One of the joys of working for a university computer
service.

Viruses today are mainly "drive by" attacks on browsers, having
attracted the user to an infected website. The major anti-virus vendors
no doubt have statistics for which platforms are most vulnerable.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:32:56 on Wed,
8 Oct 2008, Paul Leyland remarked:
And 'live CD' implies Linux, and I have yet to actually see a Mac
infected by a virus. I am sure its possible, but they are as rare as
hen's teeth. Viruses are largely a windows PC phenomenon.

I've seen them, but over 10 years ago and back in days of floppy-borne
beasties. One of the joys of working for a university computer
service.

Viruses today are mainly "drive by" attacks on browsers, having
attracted the user to an infected website. The major anti-virus vendors
no doubt have statistics for which platforms are most vulnerable.

Are you sure about that?

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Anyway I don't use IE at all, so that's mainly that.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Haven't seen one of those for years. Are there really still people who use
ISPs who don't throw them away on the server?

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , at 20:18:39 on
Wed, 8 Oct 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
Viruses today are mainly "drive by" attacks on browsers, having
attracted the user to an infected website. The major anti-virus
vendors no doubt have statistics for which platforms are most vulnerable.

Are you sure about that?

Yes, it's been like that for a year or more.

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Not any more; the networks got too good at filtering them out, so the
effort has gone into other avenues.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

"August West" wrote in message
"Tim Ward" writes:

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Haven't seen one of those for years. Are there really still people who
use ISPs who don't throw them away on the server?

Are there really still people who use their ISP for email?

Eh?? Don't get you. Do you mean "are there people who don't contribute more
than their fair share to the carbon footprint by running their own server at
home 24/7 just to pick up the occasional email"? In which case, as you know
perfectly well, the answer is "yes, there are lots of such people".

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

"August West" wrote in message

Are there really still people who use their ISP for email?

Eh?? Don't get you. Do you mean "are there people who don't contribute
more
than their fair share to the carbon footprint by running their own server
at
home 24/7 just to pick up the occasional email"? In which case, as you
know
perfectly well, the answer is "yes, there are lots of such people".

Eh?? I was thinking more of hotmail, gmail, and the like.

Oh, I think you and I disagree about what "ISP" means. I think it means
"internet service provider". I use several different internet services, and
I use several ISPs for different purposes, quite often at the same time -
just right now I'm using one for connectivity, one for usenet access, and
one for both hosting my website and managing my email (which, like hotmail,
gmail and the like, does have a webmail interface, but I don't use it very
often). If I also used hotmail I would regard hotmail as a "provider" of one
of my "internet services", ie one of my ISPs, and I would expect them to
filter out email viruses for me.

If you think "ISP" means *just* the service of providing connectivity, and
not all the other things that many of us unbundle these days, that would
explain the confusion.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Tim Ward coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Tim Ward" writes:

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Haven't seen one of those for years. Are there really still people who
use ISPs who don't throw them away on the server?

Are there really still people who use their ISP for email?

Eh?? Don't get you. Do you mean "are there people who don't contribute
more than their fair share to the carbon footprint by running their own
server at home 24/7 just to pick up the occasional email"? In which case,
as you know perfectly well, the answer is "yes, there are lots of such
people".

We run our entire lives of our two servers: one RAID5 filestore (and soon to
be migrated Postgresql server) with secure remote access, the other (soon
to be upgraded on recycled equipment) general purpose server (web, calendar
(Horde), email (Exim + Dovecot), misc).

Without it, neither me nor the missus would have a clue what we're doing.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , at 22:15:06 on Wed, 8
Oct 2008, Tim Ward remarked:
If you think "ISP" means *just* the service of providing connectivity, and
not all the other things that many of us unbundle these days, that would
explain the confusion.

Agreed. I'm currently using seven ISPs, only two of them for
connectivity. And that's not counting niche services like Googlemail,
Skype, MS-Messenger and another half dozen other providers of similar
stuff. My Freeserve account finally expired recently, after many years
of not using them for dial-up.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 21:03:15 UTC, "Tim Ward" wrote:

Eh?? Don't get you. Do you mean "are there people who don't contribute more
than their fair share to the carbon footprint by running their own server at
home 24/7 just to pick up the occasional email"? In which case, as you know
perfectly well, the answer is "yes, there are lots of such people".

I'll confess to being one of those irresponsible people who increases
their mythical 'carbon footprint'. I receive a LOT of email, and several
thousand spams each day, which I doubt an ISP would be as efficient at
filtering.

My email server performs several other tasks, and consumes between 30
and 35 watts.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

I'll confess to being one of those irresponsible people who increases
their mythical 'carbon footprint'. I receive a LOT of email, and several
thousand spams each day, which I doubt an ISP would be as efficient at
filtering.

I used to receive thousands of spams but my ISP has fixed their systems and
the spam no longer consume entropy and thus carbon by being sent down the
wire to my house.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Tim Ward" writes:

If you think "ISP" means *just* the service of providing connectivity,
and not all the other things that many of us unbundle these days, that
would explain the confusion.

I do. The ISP shifts the packets,a mail provider provides, mail, News
provider, news, and so on. I really don't see any utulity in
overloading ISP.

Oh, right. I use lots of different packet shifters, depending on where I am
and what device I'm using, and quite often I don't even know what packet
shifter I'm using[#], but only one of each of most of the others.

[#] After all you never need to. Apart from having to know their SMTP
server. Which isn't *quite* enough of a pain for me to organise one of the
many alternatives for myself.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:15:06 +0100, Tim Ward wrote:

If you think "ISP" means *just* the service of providing connectivity, and
not all the other things that many of us unbundle these days, that would
explain the confusion.

That is what most people - both internet pros and the great unwashed -
mean by "ISP", in the absence of any further qualification.

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:50:12 +0100, August West wrote:

"Tim Ward" writes:

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Haven't seen one of those for years. Are there really still people who
use ISPs who don't throw them away on the server?

Are there really still people who use their ISP for email?

You jest.

There's gazillions of people who still have no idea that their
browser's homepage doesn't have to be btinteryahoogle.com, let
alone that they can change browser, or get email from elsewhere...

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:00:34 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 20:18:39 on
Wed, 8 Oct 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

[viruses]

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Not any more; the networks got too good at filtering them out, so the
effort has gone into other avenues.

Still plenty of viral emails kicking around: I have a relatively
unfiltered email feed, partly so's I can get a feel for what's
going on out there.

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:22:23 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Viruses today are mainly "drive by" attacks on browsers, having
attracted the user to an infected website. The major anti-virus vendors
no doubt have statistics for which platforms are most vulnerable.

tangent

It struck me a couple of days ago that the whole situation is like
having one dominant car company that ships all its cars with bald
tyres and duff brakes. As a result there's an enormous after-market
in five-point harnesses, roll cages, fire extinguishers and even
replacement air-bags.

/

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:35:50 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 22:15:06 on Wed, 8
Oct 2008, Tim Ward remarked:
If you think "ISP" means *just* the service of providing connectivity, and
not all the other things that many of us unbundle these days, that would
explain the confusion.

Agreed. I'm currently using seven ISPs, only two of them for
connectivity. And that's not counting niche services like Googlemail,
Skype, MS-Messenger and another half dozen other providers of similar
stuff.

Interesting - I don't think I've ever come across anyone using that
definition for ISP. By that meaning, presumably someone running a website
on a machine at home also qualifies as an ISP? (or is there some usage
level below which "providing an IP-based service on the public Internet"
doesn't apply?)

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:50:26 -0500, Jules wrote:

[ISPs vs "internet service providers"]

Interesting - I don't think I've ever come across anyone using that
definition for ISP. By that meaning, presumably someone running a website
on a machine at home also qualifies as an ISP? (or is there some usage
level below which "providing an IP-based service on the public Internet"
doesn't apply?)

'zackly.

"ISP" has come to mean "bit-provider" - even amongst professionals.
A bit like "broadband" has ended up meaning "anything faster than
dial-up".

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

In ,
Tim Ward typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "Bob Eager" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I'll confess to being one of those irresponsible people who
: increases their mythical 'carbon footprint'. I receive a LOT of
: email, and several thousand spams each day, which I doubt an ISP
: would be as efficient at filtering.
:
: I used to receive thousands of spams but my ISP has fixed their
: systems and the spam no longer consume entropy and thus carbon by
: being sent down the wire to my house.

I reduced my spam count from several thousand per day to around 15 or so
simply by disabling the "catchall" facility on my domain name. Now I only
ever even see mail for the 4 addresses I've told it about and what gets
through is almost always weeded out by filtering it through a spare gmail
account kept for the purpose.

Nothing unwanted has made it to the inbox for months.

Ivor

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 01:08:13 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

I reduced my spam count from several thousand per day to around 15 or so
simply by disabling the "catchall" facility on my domain name. Now I only
ever even see mail for the 4 addresses I've told it about and what gets
through is almost always weeded out by filtering it through a spare gmail
account kept for the purpose.

Nothing unwanted has made it to the inbox for months.

Lucky you.

A certain "MISTER BROWN" of "DOWNING STREET, LONDON" keeps offering
me "FOUR HUNDRED BILLIONS OF POUNDS" if I can only come up with some
bank details, like which ones I own.

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message . com, at
17:50:26 on Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Jules
remarked:
I'm currently using seven ISPs, only two of them for
connectivity. And that's not counting niche services like Googlemail,
Skype, MS-Messenger and another half dozen other providers of similar
stuff.

Interesting - I don't think I've ever come across anyone using that
definition for ISP.

It's very common, you must have led a sheltered like.

By that meaning, presumably someone running a website
on a machine at home also qualifies as an ISP? (or is there some usage
level below which "providing an IP-based service on the public Internet"
doesn't apply?)

There are various regulatory definitions, but the one I'm using involves
offering a commercial service to specific subscribers (although
sometimes free of obvious charges), including email, domain hosting and
connectivity.

--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , at 22:53:38 on Wed, 8 Oct
2008, August West remarked:
The ISP shifts the packets,a mail provider provides, mail, News
provider, news, and so on. I really don't see any utulity in
overloading ISP.

They all operate in the same commercial, regulatory and standards
framework.

There's no point in trying to draw arbitrary lines between companies who
offer (eg) connectivity and web hosting, and some of whose customers
take just the connectivity, some take just the web hosting, and some who
take both. To all three classes of customer they are simply "an ISP".
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , at 23:16:36 on Wed, 8 Oct
2008, August West remarked:
Are there really still people who use their ISP for email?

You jest.

Not greatly; my entier extended family, from ages 10 to 84, have all
moved their email elsewhere, and all withut me suggesting it would be a
good idea.

I found that relatives were using Hotmail as the default, without even
considering whatever their connectivity-ISP-that-week was offering
(probably not a sufficiently useful webmail if my own experiences are
anything to go by). One has since registered a domain name, which I
organised for them, and the email is forwarded to their hotmail account.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , at 00:11:22 on Thu, 9 Oct 2008,
Fevric J Glandules remarked:
[viruses]

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Not any more; the networks got too good at filtering them out, so the
effort has gone into other avenues.

Still plenty of viral emails kicking around: I have a relatively
unfiltered email feed, partly so's I can get a feel for what's
going on out there.

Of course there will be a few still going round, but the main action is
elsewhere.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
August West wrote:
Are there really still people who use their ISP for email?

Whether they do or not, the service the ISP provides should work.

And yes, to judge by the mail we receive, the bulk of people use their
connectivity provider (ICP) for email.

Some ICPs (aol, bellsouth, att.net) are draconian in their rejection of
valid emails, because some spam has been forwarded via a legit server.

hotmail is a problem too: any email written in hotmail purports to be
multipart/altenative. But the plain text version is completely unformatted
and essentialy unusable.

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
http://www.Torrens.org.uk for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jake wrote:
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 00:20:21 +0200 (CEST), Fevric J Glandules
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:22:23 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Viruses today are mainly "drive by" attacks on browsers, having
attracted the user to an infected website. The major anti-virus vendors
no doubt have statistics for which platforms are most vulnerable.

tangent

It struck me a couple of days ago that the whole situation is like
having one dominant car company that ships all its cars with bald
tyres and duff brakes. As a result there's an enormous after-market
in five-point harnesses, roll cages, fire extinguishers and even
replacement air-bags.

/

Are there no viruses on Macs because no one uses them? Or maybe the
apps are too boring?

Both really ;-)

Actually its a minority target, and a harder target than windows.

So mostly viruses leave em alone.

Must be something.
(warm isn't it ) :-)

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Tim Ward wrote:
.. .

I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Haven't seen one of those for years. Are there really still people who use
ISPs who don't throw them away on the server?

Does your ISP throw away *all* attachments then, or just all attachments
containing executables? Because there've been some very quickly
mutating ones lately which are getting through good AV software because
they change so quickly. And they're much better at convincing social
engineering techniques to get people to open them. We've had pretty
clued up people here caught out by a supposed message from UPS about a
delivery because they were *expecting* something with UPS.

--
http://lnr.livejournal.com/
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Eleanor Blair wrote:
Tim Ward wrote:
I thought they were mainly in email attachments..

Haven't seen one of those for years. Are there really still people who use
ISPs who don't throw them away on the server?

Does your ISP throw away *all* attachments then, or just all attachments
containing executables? Because there've been some very quickly
mutating ones lately which are getting through good AV software because
they change so quickly. And they're much better at convincing social
engineering techniques to get people to open them. We've had pretty
clued up people here caught out by a supposed message from UPS about a
delivery because they were *expecting* something with UPS.

The key on any mail that tries to redirect you to a website is right
click on the link and see where it takes you.

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , at 10:02:51 on Thu,
9 Oct 2008, Eleanor Blair remarked:
We've had pretty
clued up people here caught out by a supposed message from UPS about a
delivery because they were *expecting* something with UPS.

I'd had a few recently with the classic "message from your ISP" saying
that they've detected a virus on my PC and here's a program to clean it
up. Apart from that being a well known line, they've made a hilarious
assumption about who my ISP is, based on the domain name.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-10-09, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Eleanor Blair wrote:
Tim Ward wrote:
I thought they were mainly in email attachments..
Haven't seen one of those for years. Are there really still people who use
ISPs who don't throw them away on the server?
Does your ISP throw away *all* attachments then, or just all attachments
containing executables? Because there've been some very quickly
mutating ones lately which are getting through good AV software because
they change so quickly. And they're much better at convincing social
engineering techniques to get people to open them. We've had pretty
clued up people here caught out by a supposed message from UPS about a
delivery because they were *expecting* something with UPS.

The key on any mail that tries to redirect you to a website is right
click on the link

Depends entirely on what you use to read your emails...

sure, but all will allow you to investigate a link before going there in
some way as far as I know.

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:16:45 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Eleanor Blair wrote:

Does your ISP throw away *all* attachments then, or just all attachments
containing executables? Because there've been some very quickly
mutating ones lately which are getting through good AV software because
they change so quickly. And they're much better at convincing social
engineering techniques to get people to open them. We've had pretty
clued up people here caught out by a supposed message from UPS about a
delivery because they were *expecting* something with UPS.

The key on any mail that tries to redirect you to a website is right
click on the link and see where it takes you.

We're talking about attachments, not hyperlinks.

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Eleanor Blair wrote:
Does your ISP throw away *all* attachments then, or just all attachments
containing executables? Because there've been some very quickly
mutating ones lately which are getting through good AV software because
they change so quickly. And they're much better at convincing social
engineering techniques to get people to open them. We've had pretty
clued up people here caught out by a supposed message from UPS about a
delivery because they were *expecting* something with UPS.

The key on any mail that tries to redirect you to a website is right
click on the link and see where it takes you.

We're talking about attachments, not hyperlinks.

Well I was initially, but then it was claimed that these no longer
exist, and that the real danger was hyperlinks..

And in act my original query wasn't so much that I had recieved such,
but har recieved it with an enormous amount of personal information that
*very* few online sites actually know. Namely my certificated christian
name that I haven't used for years, no one knows of, and only is EVER
used by me on legal documents and occasionally my bank details. Its not
even printed on my credit card or cheques.

Which suggested a major leak somewhere in some pretty trusted organisation.
Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:32:56 on Wed, 8
Oct 2008, Paul Leyland remarked:
And 'live CD' implies Linux, and I have yet to actually see a Mac
infected by a virus. I am sure its possible, but they are as rare as
hen's teeth. Viruses are largely a windows PC phenomenon.

I've seen them, but over 10 years ago and back in days of floppy-borne
beasties. One of the joys of working for a university computer
service.

Viruses today are mainly "drive by" attacks on browsers, having attracted
the user to an infected website. The major anti-virus vendors no doubt
have statistics for which platforms are most vulnerable.

They probably have statistics for the most attacked, and the most
compromised but not the most vulnerable as that is unknown.

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:16:36 on Wed, 8 Oct
2008, August West remarked:
Are there really still people who use their ISP for email?

You jest.

Not greatly; my entier extended family, from ages 10 to 84, have allree
moved their email elsewhere, and all withut me suggesting it would be a
good idea.

I found that relatives were using Hotmail as the default, without even
considering whatever their connectivity-ISP-that-week was offering
(probably not a sufficiently useful webmail if my own experiences are
anything to go by). One has since registered a domain name, which I
organised for them, and the email is forwarded to their hotmail account.

Hotmail is good, especially if you signed up early enough to get a sensible
name and free access from outlook.

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Eleanor Blair" wrote in message

Does your ISP throw away *all* attachments then, or just all attachments
containing executables?

Just viruses. I get 0 viruses coming through, and being a software engineer
send and receive executables from time to time and don't recall ever losing
any. (At my end, that is - people at the other end with poorly configured
Outlook is another matter.)

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor

Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Tim Ward wrote:
"Eleanor Blair" wrote:
Does your ISP throw away *all* attachments then, or just all attachments
containing executables?

Just viruses. I get 0 viruses coming through, and being a software engineer
send and receive executables from time to time and don't recall ever losing
any. (At my end, that is - people at the other end with poorly configured
Outlook is another matter.)

Which ISP is this? Do you know how they're identifying these viruses?

I'm just surprised that you so strongly suggest that this is an easily
solved problem which all good ISPs should have got licked, rather than
simply that none have got through to you.

--
http://lnr.livejournal.com/

Warning! Virus! James Sweet Electronics Repair 4 December 31st 04 09:46 PM
Virus Warning Fred Holder Woodturning 4 December 16th 04 02:46 PM
THIS ATTACHMENT CONTAINS A VIRUS Frank McVey Woodturning 7 July 29th 04 05:58 AM