Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Back Hearth is just a hole

I am going to replace my living flame gas fire with a real one.

First step was to disconnect the current fire and remove it. A plumber
came and did this.

However, the back hearth (where the firebasket sits) is not solid
concrete as I had expected, it is a bit of metal (unsecured) and when
I lift it up there is a large hole leading to ground beneath the
floor. I am assuming this is for ventilation as the house used to have
a real fire.

Anyway, I was intending installing a solid fuel stove, but these
things weigh in excess of 60Kg and the flimsy bit of metal will not
hold it.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do about this ?

Does the back hearth need to be concrete ?

Maybe I should just replace the metal cover with a more substantial
one ?

All ideas welcomed.

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 03:32:37 -0700 (PDT), BeerBoy
wrote:

However, the back hearth (where the firebasket sits) is not solid
concrete as I had expected, it is a bit of metal (unsecured) and when
I lift it up there is a large hole leading to ground beneath the
floor. I am assuming this is for ventilation as the house used to have
a real fire.

Sounds like it was for a Baxi fire. They were only of use in a new
build house as there are pipes radiating out from the fire base to at
least two house walls. The idea was that wind from any direction would
force a draught into the fire base.

As you do not need it, fill it with concrete to provide a firm base
for your fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
However, the back hearth (where the firebasket sits) is not solid
concrete as I had expected, it is a bit of metal (unsecured) and when
I lift it up there is a large hole leading to ground beneath the
floor. I am assuming this is for ventilation as the house used to have
a real fire.

Sounds like it was for a Baxi fire. They were only of use in a new
build house as there are pipes radiating out from the fire base to at
least two house walls. The idea was that wind from any direction would
force a draught into the fire base.

As you do not need it, fill it with concrete to provide a firm base
for your fire.

I think you are right.

Thanks for this Eric

Will single hole faucet fit widespread center hole? dke3591 Home Repair 4 March 15th 07 04:58 PM
Back hearth expansion VisionSet UK diy 1 October 13th 06 05:49 PM
Fitting a Back Panel and hearth Arthur UK diy 5 November 11th 05 09:44 AM
DeWalt DW421K ROS: 5 hole or 8 hole disks? J.B. Bobbitt Woodworking 3 December 19th 04 01:51 AM
Query re fitting hearth panel and back No-one UK diy 2 January 17th 04 10:55 PM