Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to "de-coke" Epson printer ink jets ?

I have the Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer and it has been little used for
some time.
I put in a new set of ink cartridges, ran the cleaning cycle several times
but still it won't fire from all the jets.

Last time this happened to me was with a previous printer which was in
warranty and the engineer attended and sorted out in a "few minutes"
according to the person who was present, but I wasn't so didn't see how he
did it / any re-aligning procedure.

Can anyone tell me how to get the ink flowing on this or a similar model ? I
am sure its the bit that the cartridges sit on that has got some jets
blocked.

Thanks,

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
I have the Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer and it has been little used for
some time.

Method #1. Windowlene Clear - not the pink stuff - put some drops in the
needles in the "bit that the cartridge sits on"

Method #2. Skip the printer and spend £60 on a new Canon pixma ip4500
http://www.trustedreviews.com/printers/review/2007/11/30/Canon-PIXMA-iP4500/p1

Prefer Method #2

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote :

Can anyone tell me how to get the ink flowing on this or a similar model ? I
am sure its the bit that the cartridges sit on that has got some jets
blocked.

I never had much luck with inkjets due to irregular use and blockages,
however I have just bought an ultrasonic cleaner bath and one of its
suggested uses is clearing blocked inkjets.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 11:50*pm, "Nick" wrote:
I have the Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer and it has been little used for
some time.
I put in a new set of ink cartridges, ran the cleaning cycle several times
but still it won't fire from all the jets.

Last time this happened to me was with a previous printer which was in
warranty and the engineer attended and sorted out in a "few minutes"
according to the person who was present, but I wasn't so didn't see how he
did it / any re-aligning procedure.

Can anyone tell me how to get the ink flowing on this or a similar model ? I
am sure its the bit that the cartridges sit on that has got some jets
blocked.

Thanks,

Nick

Fill old cartridges with solvent, Servisol AeroKleene50 works as well
as any. Run cleaning cycle.Apply solvent diirectly to feeds. Epson
jets are piezo and seperate from the cartridge.

Use deep clean option in Epson service utility

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Just had to junk an Epson 600 after 10 years and thousands of pages
because of paper feed eventually getting erratic. Lived on a diet of
comaptible carts, older Epsons like to clean their heads about every 2
miliseconds.R200 which is getting on a bit now is much less inclined
to block its jets or clean so frequently.

Lot of decent deals on Epson `last weeks` models about, generally
cheapest to feed on compatibles with Lexmark being at the opposite end
of running cost spectrum....

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Had this document for a while. When I found it on the net, I thought - this
will be handy at some point:

The first thing a person should do if they notice a reduction in print
quality (white lines or gaps) is to do a nozzle check. This can be found
under Printer Utilities. This will show you exactly how many nozzles are not
firing, and give you a baseline to check for improvement. Next you should
try several cleaning cycles; many times this may get things flowing again.

There are 2 reasons for a print head to not give you a perfect nozzle check.
The first being an actual clog, and the second being air bubbles, either in
the cartridge or the print head. An old cartridge can lead to ink
"thickening" and also cause problems. Of course, an empty cartridge will
also cause trouble! If you are refilling cartridges and putting less than 7
cc's of ink in an empty chamber, you are not getting a "factory full"
refill. This will cause the ink counter to say you still have ink when it's
long gone. (See my earlier post on "The Ultimate Refill" method to see how
to get "full" refills.

OK, let's say you know you have ink, and you've done 4-5 cleaning cycles and
still get a bad nozzle check pattern.

Step 1:
Distilled water injection into cartridge
The first thing to do is try to get rid of an air bubbles. To do this I like
to inject 1-2 cc's of distilled water into the colour chamber that is giving
the bad nozzle check. To do this you will need a syringe and small needle
(available at your local vet, or farm supply). Put the print head into the
"change cartridge" position and remove the cartridge. Draw 1-2 cc's of
distilled water into the syringe and poke the needle into the rear hole on
the top of the cartridge. Aim for the middle of the bottom of the cartridge,
about 1-1/4" in. (GENTLY...You don't want to pierce the internal filter
screen). Now inject the distilled water above where the outlet port would
be. Re-install the cartridge and let the printer do its "new cartridge
bogie". Now LET IT SIT for 15-20 minutes! Then run a cleaning cycle and
then another nozzle check. Sometimes this is all it takes. The distilled
water will also help to thin ink that has become too viscous. I have run
tests with ink diluted with as much as 50% distilled water and could hardly
tell the difference, (ink ex tender?? :-). You may need to run a couple
cleaning cycles to get everything flowing again. If this doesn't work, roll
up
your sleeves and proceed to STEP 2.

Step 2:
Distilled water injection into print head
Still clogged? Don't despair. Put the print head back into "cartridge
change" position and remove the offending cartridge. Remove the needle from
the syringe and draw 1cc of distilled water. Do you see the little pointed
nipple that is in the hole where you pulled the cartridge from? This is the
post that breaks the seal of a fresh cartridge and feeds ink to the print
head. Place the plastic tip of the syringe firmly over the post.
(Gently...if you break the post you're screwed). Slowly inject the distilled
water into the post and remove syringe. Hopefully you just injected the
distilled water into the print head, where it will displace any air bubbles
and dissolve dried up ink deposits (kind a like fuel injector cleaner on a
car). Let the printer sit for a good couple hours after this. The distilled
water needs time to work its magic. Then reinstall cartridge and test as
above. If you STILL have a problem after several cleaning cycles, it's time
to get serious and remove the print head completely (STEP 3). This is not
for the faint of heart and is reserved for more "technically inclined" users
(it's really not that bad...I can have it out in 2-3 minutes). It may help
to take a photo or video "before" shot to help you put it back together
right!

Step 3:
Removal and cleaning of print head
1: Move print head to "change cartridge" position and remove cartridges.
2: LEAVE POWER SWITCH ON AND UNPLUG PRINTER CORD. This will keep the print
head where we want it.

3: Remove top cover of printer (4 screws.2 in front, 2 in back).

4: Carefully remove ribbon cable going into top of print head assembly.

5: Remove screw holding the metal arm at the bottom of the cartridge holder,
remove metal arm.

6: There is a small plastic tab in front of where the ribbon cable plugs in;
this is all that is left holding the print head.

7: Lift the tab over the protrusion of the print head and slide the print
head assembly forward and up to remove.

Scary, huh? It's easier than it sounds. Now that you have that bugger out,
it's time for a serious distilled water soak. Put enough distilled water
into a cup to cover the whole thing (don't worry, it won't hurt anything).
Now let it sit overnight. The distilled water will work its way in and do
wonders while you sleep. The next morning, rinse the assembly with clean
distilled water, shake off excess and let dry. Now we're ready for the real
"nozzle test"! Get a foot of small bore plastic tubing that will fit onto
the plastic tip of the syringe. I use a 1/16" I.D. tube that I soften with a
lighter and widen the opening with a Bic pen so that it will slip onto the
syringe. Now draw in 5-6 cc's of distilled water through the tubing into the
syringe. Place the open end of the tubing over the feed post of the clogged
colour. Now firmly inject the distilled water. If the head is clear, you
will see 32 (colour) or 64 (black) very, very fine streams of distilled
water spraying out of the nozzle plate on the bottom of the print head. If
some are crooked or not spraying, we need to back flush that colour. VERY
GENTLY clamp the print head (bottom side-nozzle plate- up) into a small vice
or holding fixture of some kind. You will need both hands free. Now take
your distilled water -syringe-tube combo and hold the tubing firmly over the
micro-sized nozzle holes on the nozzle plate (a magnifying glass will help).
While holding the tube firmly in place,
force some distilled water into the nozzle holes (you know it's going in if
it drips out the feed post). Keep moving and repeat until you go over ALL
the nozzle holes. What this is doing is back flushing each jet in the print
head and dislodging any foreign objects (dust, etc...) out of the print
head. If a head has a rock in the pipes (dust, etc...) and you only flush
from the top...you're just pushing it to the spray nozzle and
it's still going to be clogged. A back flush like this is the only way to
clear this type of clog, unless you replace the print head. Now you can slap
it back together, run a couple cleaning cycles, and get back to printing.

I have not met a clog that I couldn't clear with the above methods. I
recently had a 500 in the shop that someone had let the black run bone dry.
4 WEEKS LATER, they installed a new cartridge and ......"chaaaaaa.....know
what???? unh-unh!!!" Clog city. No amount of cleaning cycles or distilled
water injection would clear that gooey up print head. EVERY SINGLE NOZZLE
WAS CLOGGED. This was a candidate for the old Epson "replace the print head"
routine. So I figured what the hell! Let's pull the print head and test the
"procedure". After a "Step 3" full boogie removal and back flush, I ran ONE
cleaning cycle and......PERFECT.

Remember, this head was so clogged that I couldn't get even 1 nozzle to
spray! I know it's kind of involved, but for us techies out there or for a
printer out of warranty......it's the only way to go. Feel free to post
questions to the Epson-Inkjet list or e-mail me direct. Good Luck!

Addendum:
Added by Jim Liddil on the Epson-Inkjet list.

For just such an occurrence keep a clean empty cartridge on hand. Fill it
with distilled water. Use a syringe and make sure it is full. Easy to do
since you won't get ink everywhere. Put this cartridge in place of the other
one. Let is sit and run cleaning cycles. You can let it go overnight if you
have patience. If this fails then you can try the approach of putting a
piece of tubing on a syringe that is just big enough to fit snug on the post
where the cartridge plugs in. Then GENTLY try to force water or 70%
isopropyl alcohol through the head. Put the water cartridge back in and run
cleaning cycles. If all this fails it's time to send it to Epson or pull the
heads yourself and clean them. My techniques are slight modifications of
those presented by Steve Chlupsa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:16:56 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Nick wrote :

Can anyone tell me how to get the ink flowing on this or a similar model ? I
am sure its the bit that the cartridges sit on that has got some jets
blocked.

I never had much luck with inkjets due to irregular use and blockages,
however I have just bought an ultrasonic cleaner bath and one of its
suggested uses is clearing blocked inkjets.

For those inkjets where the nozzle is integral to the cartridge, I've
had some success by standing them up, nozzle down, in a bowl of
boiling hot water. In some cases I've used a metal can and applied
some heat underneath to bring the water up to boiling point to good
effect.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
I have the Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer and it has been little used for
some time.
I put in a new set of ink cartridges, ran the cleaning cycle several times
but still it won't fire from all the jets.

Last time this happened to me was with a previous printer which was in
warranty and the engineer attended and sorted out in a "few minutes"
according to the person who was present, but I wasn't so didn't see how he
did it / any re-aligning procedure.

Can anyone tell me how to get the ink flowing on this or a similar model ?
I am sure its the bit that the cartridges sit on that has got some jets
blocked.

Thanks,

Nick

Welcome to the wonderful world of Epson clogged heads. Epson printers are
the worst pile of ****e that's ever been made for head clogging problems. I
had one that did it continuously if you left it more than a few days without
using it. I eventually got so frustrated with it using about a pint of ink
out of each cartridge every time it was put through a clean cycle, that I
eventually binned it and went to PC World to get a new all-in-one.
Foolishly, I allowed the salesman to talk me into a different Epson Model,
on the grounds that they couldn't make more than one model that was total
crap. Wrong ... The replacement was as bad if not worse than the previous
one for clogging. Try looking at this on the 'net. You will find that they
are well known for it.

Eventually, I gave up on it, and drop-kicked it down the garden. I went
straight to Staples, and bought an HP, as I should have done in the first
place. This gives stirling service, as the first ever one that I had did,
and never ever clogs. Even if you manage to unclog your Epson this time,
before realising that you've just rinsed about 30 quids-worth of ink in the
attempt, it *will* clog again next week, and the week after. Take my advice,
ditch it now, and put your money to a nice new HP. You'll never regret it.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

I will second that I have a HP C6280 all in one and I have never had to
clean the heads and it always prints 100%, I used to have a Epson and a
Lexmark both used to clog on a weekly basis

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 1:42*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message

[...]

You only get so much time per life, and I've spent too much time
unclogging inkjets. Dont waste any more time, get a lazer. Theyre
cheap now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:50:01 +0100, Nick wrote:

I have the Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer and it has been little used
for some time. I put in a new set of ink cartridges, ran the cleaning
cycle several times but still it won't fire from all the jets.

Mines just the same, right PITA. It doesn't get much use just for the
occasional photo print but nearly every time(*) I want to use it it needs
multiple nozzle checks and cleaning cycles.

Ink for it seem to be getting hard to find and I've only ever had decent
photo results on Epson paper. Some Kodak paper I have produces decidedly
red tinged images, same settings but on Epson paper are fine.

If the monochome laser, that does most printing work, packs in I'll be
looking very hard at a colour laser but not sure how well the the £150 to
£200 ones do at the colour printing I require. IE. photographs on heavy
glossy paper.

(*) Just occasionally it won't but that is very rare. I have to pick my
self back up off the floor...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Take my advice, ditch it now, and put your money to a nice new HP.
You'll never regret it.

Ditto, i've only ever had 2 HPs - the second I still use (5150), the
first (870Cxi) I gave away on freecycle still in perfect working
condition a few months ago - despite not having been used for about 3
years, it worked first time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message

[...]

lasers not cheap to run if you want colour and not very good for photos

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 11:23*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

Samsung mono laser seems to be around £40 from couple of vendors,
cheap enough to refill and laser dosen`t clog with only occasional
use.
Got a HP2600, really rebadged older Canon mech, its not bad at photos
but no where near 6 colour inkjet quality.
Don`t put inkjet glossy paper through a laser printer, the coating
might melt on to the fuser drum.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, thanks guys - seems like I can clean it if I have time to spare but it
won't last long -
Yes I have run nearly a whole catridge through on cleaning cycles and no
real difference, so I'll try the stage three clean on one of the above and
start looking for a new HP.
Any recommendations for current HPs ? Budget around £75 for a colour inkjet
only ( don't need / want scanner / copier built in, as have those devices -
really only for occasional photos and it would be good if it ran on
non-original ink but not really bothered as used so little.

Thanks,

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:05:02 +0100, Owain wrote:

lasers not cheap to run if you want colour and not very good for photos

I thought colour lasers were cheaper to run than inkjets.

I guess that depends on what you feed your inkjet on. Makers branded
cartridges or no name compatibles and if the printer has individually
replaceable colours or just a black one and multiple colour one. All the
colour laser printers I've looked at have seperate colour and black
toners.

A set of Epson 890 cartridges cost not a great deal different to a toner
cartridge. But with all the cleaning and messing about I only get less
than 100 pages (some 6x4 photos, other colour prints) total from a colour
cartridge. I'd expect to get 1000 pages from a laser.

Lasers much happier with cheaper paper than inkjets.

And produce much sharper denser text and are quicker than an inkjet for
letters etc

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.

That is certainly a good option these days.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
I have the Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer and it has been little used for
some time.
I put in a new set of ink cartridges, ran the cleaning cycle several times
but still it won't fire from all the jets.

Last time this happened to me was with a previous printer which was in
warranty and the engineer attended and sorted out in a "few minutes"
according to the person who was present, but I wasn't so didn't see how he
did it / any re-aligning procedure.

Can anyone tell me how to get the ink flowing on this or a similar model ?
I am sure its the bit that the cartridges sit on that has got some jets
blocked.

It can just take a lot of cleaning cycles to get an Epson that has been left
standing going again. If that doesn't work, take the covers off, make sure
the cartridge carrier is unlocked and the printer is switched off, feed a
piece of strong absorbent paper or cotton cloth under the heads, dose
liberally with head cleaning solvent e.g.:

http://www.inktecshop.co.uk/acatalog/Bulk_Ink.html

then move the carriage back and forth over the moist cloth / paper. You may
need a few changes of paper / cloth, but it should eventually get the head
clear. Once the printer is working properly, a regime of turning it on and
letting it run a start-up cleaning cycle at least once a week should avoid
the problem recurring.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 2:27*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:05:02 +0100, Owain wrote:
lasers not cheap to run if you want colour and not very good for photos

I thought colour lasers were cheaper to run than inkjets.

I guess that depends on what you feed your inkjet on. Makers branded
cartridges or no name compatibles and if the printer has individually
replaceable colours or just a black one and multiple colour one. All the
colour laser printers I've looked at have seperate colour and black
toners.

A set of Epson 890 cartridges cost not a great deal different to a toner
cartridge. But with all the cleaning and messing about I only get less
than 100 pages (some 6x4 photos, other colour prints) total from a colour
cartridge. I'd expect to get 1000 pages from a laser.

Dunno where you can get colour laser toner from, first hit for 890
ink, £6.99 for black colour pair:

http://www.printcartridgedirect.com/...pack/index.htm

Same vendor set of toners for HP2600 £129.99, printer is sub £150 with
full set of toners:

http://www.printcartridgedirect.com/...-set/index.htm

Lasers much happier with cheaper paper than inkjets.

And produce much sharper denser text and are quicker than an inkjet for
letters etc

Low cost colour lasers are slow even running mono print, something to
be aware of.

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.

That is certainly a good option these days.

For occasional printing probably better value than maintaining an
inkjet.

Adam

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

How much does an HP A3+ printer cost to replace my aging, never blocked
Epson 1520?
Can you get carts for less than 50p to fit the HP?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
news
Well, thanks guys - seems like I can clean it if I have time to spare but
it won't last long -
Yes I have run nearly a whole catridge through on cleaning cycles and no
real difference, so I'll try the stage three clean on one of the above and
start looking for a new HP.
Any recommendations for current HPs ? Budget around £75 for a colour
inkjet only ( don't need / want scanner / copier built in, as have those
devices - really only for occasional photos and it would be good if it ran
on non-original ink but not really bothered as used so little.

Thanks,

Nick

My daughter has a lovely little HP for photo printing. Couldn't tell you the
model off hand, but she bought it in Waitrose (John Lewis) and it wasn't
expensive. Has all the card slots etc. Only about the size of a toaster. I
think you can also print A4 on it, but you might have to hand feed it to do
that, not sure. As far as inks go, I know a lot of people swear by the
non-proprietry cheapos, or refils, but I have a couple of friends, one of
whom is a professional photographer, who will not use them, having had
serious problems in the past. AFAIK, all HP cartridges have the print head
built in, which is why they are a little more expensive, but at least it
means that if you should get a (very rare) clog that you can't clear, the
printer is not landfill. Personally, just to know that I am getting brand
new heads with manufacturer's specced ink behind them, is enough to keep me
buying originals. HP themselves do some good 'shop online' deals, and often
the likes of Staples and so on, have HP ink deals on the go.

One thing to note about HPs that I think a lot of other printers like Epsons
don't do, is that they go 'properly' to sleep when you leave them powered
i.e. after a period of time, the heads 'park' over the sealer. I always
leave my printer powered as I can't be doing waiting for half an hour as it
boots, then self tests, then establishes contact with the host computer,
then purges its inklines and so on. When I hit print, I want it to just wake
up and print, preferably some time in the next 30 seconds. Both the Epsons
that I had used to just power down with the heads left exactly where they
last were, which I believe is a contributory factor to them drying out and
clogging.

One other thing to note when choosing a new one. If you have a network with
more than one computer on it, several of the HP all-in-ones, and possibly
the printer-only types as well, are 'proper' network printers i.e. they have
an Ethernet port on them as well as a USB interface. This means that you can
just plug it into your hub or router or whatever, and it will be seen as
just another network node. Then, any computer on the network can make use of
it, without the need for any other computer to be on, as is otherwise the
case when a printer is 'shared' to a network via a host computer. For this
reason alone, it might be worth considering an all-in-one - even though you
don't think you want one -where the scanner is likewise fully networked
(when you scan via the front panel buttons, a menu comes up listing all of
the nodes that are available on the network, and asks you where you would
like to send the scan) and also for the fact that you get a very good
monochrome or colour photocopier that can also be used for Faxing. It's
amazing how often you find yourself using it as a photocopier ...

My 5180 (not the current model I think as a couple of years old now) was
only around the budget that you have, and the prices haven't changed much.
The likes of PC World are having a hard time of it at the moment. If I were
you, I'd get myself down there, and see what sorts of deals there are to be
had.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:33:47 +0100, Emil Tiades wrote:

Yes I have run nearly a whole catridge through on cleaning cycles and
no real difference

You've run nothing at all as no ink came out.

Rubbish, nothing came out of the blocked jets but plenty from the
unblocked ones... If no ink is being consumed how come the level drops in
host computers ink level display? OK if could just be the chip telling the
host what it thinks the levels are but you can't ignore that and the
printer will stop when it thinks it's run out of ink. You could use a chip
reseter on it but then you don't know where the levels are at all. More
hoops to jump through just to do a simple print.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message

lasers not cheap to run if you want colour and not very good for photos

If you cost it properly you will find lasers are cheaper to run, especially
for photos.

You need a good laser to get photo results but even the cheap ones look a
lot better if you laminate the photo.

I use a cheap Samsung CLP300 these days unless its bigger than A4 and then
its back to the old Epson which will take A2 paper.

This one is even cheaper, but I haven't seen one.
http://www.printerland.co.uk/acatalo..._Printers.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message

8

Low cost colour lasers are slow even running mono print, something to
be aware of.

Do you think an inkjet is fast?
16/4 ppm from a £80 colour laser is pretty fast and is a lot quicker than
most inkjets.
I have yet to see an inkjet that will print an A4 photo in less than 20
seconds.

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.

That is certainly a good option these days.

For occasional printing probably better value than maintaining an
inkjet.

My local ASDA will print 100 6x4 for £7.50 so its going to be hard to beat
on price.
Its open 24 Hrs too.

I have a little Samsung dyesub printer for taking on holiday or to parties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:33:47 +0100, Emil Tiades wrote:

Yes I have run nearly a whole catridge through on cleaning cycles and
no real difference

You've run nothing at all as no ink came out.

Rubbish, nothing came out of the blocked jets but plenty from the
unblocked ones... If no ink is being consumed how come the level drops in
host computers ink level display?

Well they don't usually measure the level in the tanks, they count the
number of pulses and use maths to work out how much is left.
If no ink is coming out it will still count the pulses as it has no way of
knowing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:

Well, thanks guys - seems like I can clean it if I have time to spare
but it won't last long -
Yes I have run nearly a whole catridge through on cleaning cycles and
no real difference, so I'll try the stage three clean on one of the
above and start looking for a new HP.
Any recommendations for current HPs ? Budget around £75 for a colour
inkjet
only ( don't need / want scanner / copier built in, as have those
devices - really only for occasional photos and it would be good if it
ran on non-original ink but not really bothered as used so little.

Thanks,

Nick

My Epson 1160 has been completely trouble free since I left it on full
time about 6 months ago. Before that it was always needing cleaning and
tended to produce blotchy prints. Sometimes it needed the glass cleaner
treatment. Now it seems perfect despite fairly infrequent use and being
loaded with very cheap cartridges.

It would be interesting to know if this is just good fortune or if
there's a reason for it.

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edgar" wrote in message
Nick wrote:

[...]

It probably does automatic maintenance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 4:23*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message

8

Low cost colour lasers are slow even running mono print, something to
be aware of.

Do you think an inkjet is fast?
16/4 ppm from a £80 colour laser is pretty fast and is a lot quicker than
most inkjets.

Phaser at sub £80 looks a good deal, as long as its full fill toner
and not demo as a full set of toners is over £100.
Also solid inks believe they like left switched on all the time.

Colour laser versus mono laser, even a cheap mono laser will easily do
20 pages a minute, colour lasers are a lot slower usually, even
running mono only, if your doing a lot of mono printing, mono laser is
going to be faster and cheaper.

Laser is always going to be faster than inkjet.

Should keep laser printers away from right beside you as well because
of the ionising effect of the corona wire and toner floating in the
air, mine lives in a hall cupboard with a network cable to it.

I have yet to see an inkjet that will print an A4 photo in less than 20
seconds.

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.

That is certainly a good option these days.

For occasional printing probably better value than maintaining an
inkjet.

My local ASDA will print 100 6x4 for £7.50 so its going to be hard to beat
on price.
Its open 24 Hrs too.

7.5p per sheet would be hard to get decent glossy paper at the price.

I have a little Samsung dyesub printer for taking on holiday or to parties.

Some of the portable dye sub printers look actually affordable to run,
not the Lexmark strangely ;-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:31:09 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby wrote:

A set of Epson 890 cartridges cost not a great deal different to a
toner cartridge.

Dunno where you can get colour laser toner from, first hit for 890
ink, £6.99 for black colour pair:

They aren't Epson cartridges but "compatible" ones. Same vendor for Epson
carts £37.48.

Same vendor set of toners for HP2600 £129.99, printer is sub £150 with
full set of toners:

129.99 / 4 = 32.49 - Read what I wrote a set being about the same price
as a toner. Note that they sell HP (new not remanufactured) cartidges at
£63, PC World Business have them at £56. Dabs £51. But note that you'll
get considerably more pages from the laser compared to the inkjet, and
when one colour goes you just repalace that colour not the whole colour
cartridge.

Low cost colour lasers are slow even running mono print, something to
be aware of.

I have a "low cost laser" (HP LJ1200) that'll go from standby to finished
print of a normal letter in about 15 seconds. The Epson 890 might have got
1/4 of the way through it by then.

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.

That is certainly a good option these days.

For occasional printing probably better value than maintaining an
inkjet.

Agreed, especialy with occasional use and most of the expenisve ink goes
down the drain in cleaning cycles.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:58:16 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Well they don't usually measure the level in the tanks, they count the
number of pulses and use maths to work out how much is left.
If no ink is coming out it will still count the pulses as it has no way
of knowing.

Exactly so you end up with a cartridge that says it is empty when in fact
there is plenty of ink in it. And with the stuff costing not far short of
£500 per litre you don't want to be chucking it away.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

not true on all printers my HP inkjet all 6 are individually replaced
Low cost colour lasers are slow even running mono print, something to
be aware of.

I have a "low cost laser" (HP LJ1200) that'll go from standby to finished
print of a normal letter in about 15 seconds. The Epson 890 might have got
1/4 of the way through it by then.

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.
That is certainly a good option these days.

For occasional printing probably better value than maintaining an
inkjet.

Agreed, especialy with occasional use and most of the expenisve ink goes
down the drain in cleaning cycles.

mine recycles ink back to the cartridge

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
On Aug 10, 4:23 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message

8

Low cost colour lasers are slow even running mono print, something to
be aware of.

Do you think an inkjet is fast?
16/4 ppm from a £80 colour laser is pretty fast and is a lot quicker than
most inkjets.

Phaser at sub £80 looks a good deal, as long as its full fill toner
and not demo as a full set of toners is over £100.

It says 700 colour and/or 1500 mono on the included toners.

Also solid inks believe they like left switched on all the time.

I think its just a rebadged Samsung clp-300 laser and not a solid ink
inkjet.
Looks the same, has the same lights, buttons, spec.

Colour laser versus mono laser, even a cheap mono laser will easily do
20 pages a minute, colour lasers are a lot slower usually, even
running mono only, if your doing a lot of mono printing, mono laser is
going to be faster and cheaper.

Laser is always going to be faster than inkjet.

Should keep laser printers away from right beside you as well because
of the ionising effect of the corona wire and toner floating in the
air, mine lives in a hall cupboard with a network cable to it.

The networked version of the phaser is about £15 more.

I have yet to see an inkjet that will print an A4 photo in less than 20
seconds.

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.

That is certainly a good option these days.

For occasional printing probably better value than maintaining an
inkjet.

My local ASDA will print 100 6x4 for £7.50 so its going to be hard to
beat
on price.
Its open 24 Hrs too.

7.5p per sheet would be hard to get decent glossy paper at the price.

I have a little Samsung dyesub printer for taking on holiday or to
parties.

Some of the portable dye sub printers look actually affordable to run,
not the Lexmark strangely ;-)

They are never going to be as cheap as Asda, but they can be fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
It can just take a lot of cleaning cycles to get an Epson that has been left
standing going again.

Yup. I gave up - not impressive when I have folks waiting :-)

In my experience zero cleaning cycles required for my Canon ip4300
printer that gets infrequent use as most of the non-colour stuff goes to
a laser printer. Excellent photos, quite up to the standard of my
previous Epson Photo 750.

If ye wanna a laugh, and have got a defunct Epson printer that's going
nowhere, take it to pieces and boggle at the volume of felt cloth they
have installed in the bottom rear to absorb all the ink that is wasted
during cleaning. Over engineering or perhaps Epson expect the customer
to be wasting all that champange priced ink?

Then strip out the stepper motors and flog 'em on eBay ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:30:40 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby wrote:

Phaser at sub £80 looks a good deal, as long as its full fill toner
and not demo as a full set of toners is over £100.

Compare the cost of an inkjet printer to that of its cartridges... It's
not unknown for it to be cheaper to bin the printer when the ink runs out
and buy a new one rather than buy new cartridges.

Also solid inks believe they like left switched on all the time.

Toner is a fine powder. If the print gets a bit streaky towards the end
take the cartridge out and give it a shake to redistribute the toner. Can
squeeze a good few more pages out of one by doing that.

Colour laser versus mono laser, even a cheap mono laser will easily do
20 pages a minute, colour lasers are a lot slower usually, even
running mono only, if your doing a lot of mono printing, mono laser is
going to be faster and cheaper.

Faster maybe but cheaper? The black toner prices are much of a muchness

Laser is always going to be faster than inkjet.

Agreed.

Should keep laser printers away from right beside you as well because
of the ionising effect of the corona wire and toner floating in the
air, mine lives in a hall cupboard with a network cable to it.

For just a few pages a day in a SOHO I don't think that is a worry, you
probably get more exposure to ozone and particulates when you go down to
the shop for a pint of milk. For a an office workgroup printer churning
out hundreds of pages a day it is more of a concern.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:58:16 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Well they don't usually measure the level in the tanks, they count the
number of pulses and use maths to work out how much is left.
If no ink is coming out it will still count the pulses as it has no way
of knowing.

Exactly so you end up with a cartridge that says it is empty when in fact
there is plenty of ink in it. And with the stuff costing not far short of
£500 per litre you don't want to be chucking it away.

The black toner cartridge in my Epson laser printer has reported as
being low for 6 months now

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adam Aglionby
saying something like:

Fill old cartridges with solvent, Servisol AeroKleene50 works as well
as any. Run cleaning cycle.Apply solvent diirectly to feeds. Epson
jets are piezo and seperate from the cartridge.

Interesting, I'll try that.

Use deep clean option in Epson service utility

Ho ho ho... don't, whatever you do, fill an old cartridge with distilled
water and run a cycle - it leaks onto the leccy bits and releases the
smoke. Of course, by the time the old ink has dissolved into the
distilled water it makes a nicely conductive solution, as I realised
later.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Just had to junk an Epson 600 after 10 years and thousands of pages
because of paper feed eventually getting erratic. Lived on a diet of
comaptible carts, older Epsons like to clean their heads about every 2
miliseconds.R200 which is getting on a bit now is much less inclined
to block its jets or clean so frequently.

I now have three Epson 600s - one is almost brand new, in that it was
bought a decade ago and only printed less than 100 sheets before it
terminally clogged - the others were gathered in the past year in an
attempt to make a spares pile. Annoyingly, both the replacements were
working, but clogged soon after - seems they just don't like sitting for
a while and I was careful to run a page through them every fortnight
just to keep them clear.
I have an HP for normal output, but I'd like to get a 600 working for
rough output - DVD cases, etc.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:

Any recommendations for current HPs ? Budget around £75 for a colour
inkjet
only ( don't need / want scanner / copier built in, as have those devices
- really only for occasional photos and it would be good if it ran on
non-original ink but not really bothered as used so little.

I'm in a similar position with blocked jets on a Stylus 760. I got it going
again after using up a whole cleaning cartridge but it only lasted a few
weeks befor it blocked up again. To be fair I should say that this is the
first serious blockage in 8 years and I've seldom needed to clean the jets
previously.

I'm still trying to decide between another inkjet or a laser. If I go for an
inkjet I could be tempted by the HP K5400N, at £75 (from Misco) for the
network version. HP claim low running costs for this (2450 pages per
cartridge for black and 1700 for colour using ISO/IEC 24712 colour test
pages) http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/uk/en/OJPK5400n/index.html.
How that comes out in real life is another matter but the relative cost per
page is certainly much better than what they claim for their other inkjets.
In fact the page yields are comparable to those of the cheaper lasers where
the cartridges would cost about twice as much.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
It can just take a lot of cleaning cycles to get an Epson that has been
left standing going again.

Yup. I gave up - not impressive when I have folks waiting :-)

However, easily avoided by turning the printer on and letting it run a
start-up cycle about once a week.

In my experience zero cleaning cycles required for my Canon ip4300 printer
that gets infrequent use as most of the non-colour stuff goes to a laser
printer. Excellent photos, quite up to the standard of my previous Epson
Photo 750.

I can only assume that you are easily satisfied if you find a four colour
printer gives just as good a result as a six colour printer. I supply a
number of professional photographers and, while a few favour Canon 6
cartridge printers, most prefer Epson 8 or 9 cartridge printers.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
et...
I'm still trying to decide between another inkjet or a laser. If I go for
an
inkjet I could be tempted by the HP K5400N, at £75 (from Misco) for the
network version. HP claim low running costs for this (2450 pages per
cartridge for black and 1700 for colour using ISO/IEC 24712 colour test
pages)

Mind you, a set of high yield HP88XL cartridges, which won't come with the
printer, will cost you more than the printer

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:58:16 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Well they don't usually measure the level in the tanks, they count the
number of pulses and use maths to work out how much is left.
If no ink is coming out it will still count the pulses as it has no way
of knowing.

Exactly so you end up with a cartridge that says it is empty when in fact
there is plenty of ink in it. And with the stuff costing not far short of
£500 per litre you don't want to be chucking it away.

The black toner cartridge in my Epson laser printer has reported as being
low for 6 months now

--
geoff

Here's an interesting little mail that got sent to me a few weks back. Check
down to the bottom for a reference to printer ink prices. Not sure if it
will upload ok as it's full of little animated emoticons.

Arfa

The price of Petrol versus Printer Ink

All these examples do NOT imply that petrol is cheap; it just illustrates
how outrageous some prices are....

You will be really shocked by the last one!
(At least, I was...)

Compared with Petrol......

Think a gallon of petrol is expensive?

This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz £1.29 .. £10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz £1.19 ...........£9.52 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz £1.25 ......... £10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz £3.15 ...... £33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz E8.35 ... £178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz £3.85 . £123.20 per gallon

Tippex 7 oz £1.39 ....... . £5.42 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

Evian water 9 oz £1.49..£21.19 per gallon! £21.19 for WATER and the
buyers don't even know the source

(Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)

You don't even want to compare it with perfume or after shave.

Ever wonder why printers are so cheap?

So they have you hooked for the ink.
Someone calculated the cost of the ink at................
(you won't believe it....but it is true........)
£5,200 a gal.. (five thousand two hundred pounds)

So, the next time you're at the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water,
or Tippex, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:

I can only assume that you are easily satisfied if you find a four colour
printer gives just as good a result as a six colour printer. I supply a
number of professional photographers and, while a few favour Canon 6
cartridge printers, most prefer Epson 8 or 9 cartridge printers.

Yup, I'm easily satisfied and I'm sure most non-professional users would
be - the output still looks like a glossy photograph that came from the
chemist when held in the hand and not something as printed in a
magazine. Me using cheapo photo paper from Poundland as well.
Sacrilegious :-)

Peeking closely to find faults with some colours and visible dithering
is not something most snapshot users would worry about at this price
level. Besides minimun 1pl droplet sizes on the Canon iP4300 are smaller
than the Epson Photo 750's 6pl, so in my eyes my newer printer cleanly
gets away with it.

Seven years of development between the two and minimun swearing about
blocked jets or excessive cartridge use...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 11:09*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
[...]

600 was about £260 when new, remember being amazed that it could
print real photies :-)
R200 was brought in a few years ago to replace the 600 as the ink mad
cleaning cycles were beginning to get beyond a joke, they do clog and
eat ink from new. But it lived on as workshop smudger for a few
thousand sheets more.R200 for some reason has always been a lot less
hassle in this respect, with carts from 76p at SVP its a cheap way of
having decent A4 colour handy.

Adam