Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tamper fault on PIR

I've recently been doing some redecoration which necessitated the
removal of a PIR.
When I put it back I seemed to have damaged it somehow.
The alarm panel is now showing a constant tamper fault light which I
can't deactivate.

Usually just removing and replacing the cover does the trick but this
time it's with no effect.
I don't know how the tamper sensor works so can't work out what else
to try with the PIR itself.

The system is, quite an old, Scantronic 4700 system with wireless
PIRs.

I don't have the engineer code for this box only the general activate/
deactivate code.

Can I replace the PIR using something generic? I'd rather not have to
replace the entire system as this one does the job very well normally.

Any alarm techies here who can advise?

Ham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
phantomzone writes:
I've recently been doing some redecoration which necessitated the
removal of a PIR.
When I put it back I seemed to have damaged it somehow.
The alarm panel is now showing a constant tamper fault light which I
can't deactivate.

Usually just removing and replacing the cover does the trick but this
time it's with no effect.
I don't know how the tamper sensor works so can't work out what else
to try with the PIR itself.

In most (particularly cheap, home) PIRs, it's nothing more than
a mechanical contact, e.g. a microswitch, piece of bent metal,
or a spring pressing on a PCB mounted minature push button
mechanisn.

In some more expensive PIRs, it's a signal generated by the
microcontroller. It will operate if the unit loses power
(probably not in the case of a wireless sensor) or if the
microcontroller detects a fault in the unit.

The system is, quite an old, Scantronic 4700 system with wireless
PIRs.

I don't have the engineer code for this box only the general activate/
deactivate code.

Some panels will require (or can be programmed to require) the
engineer code after a tamper fault even if the fault is cleared.
Sounds like you know from past experience that isn't the case
with yours though?

Can I replace the PIR using something generic? I'd rather not have to
replace the entire system as this one does the job very well normally.

Wired ones, yes. Wireless tends to require the exact same part,
which are usually no longer available by the time one breaks :-(.
However, I don't know about your Scantronic.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
Scantronics systems are still amongst the most reliable and Cooper Menvier
who now are Scantronics have a very good archive.
However the 4700 series is no longer with us being superseded by the 500r
and now even that is out of date.
The 4705 pir you refer to IIR has both rear and front tampers and was prone
to a rear tamper fault if the cover was hit causing it to fall off.
Remove the pcb and hold it in your hand pressing both the front and rear
tamper micro-switches then try resetting the panel.
When testing the 4705 PIR detector you must remember that the detector will
go to sleep after an activation for about three minutes to conserve battery
power.

If you have the engineers code you can put the panel in walk test instead.
I have a PDF of the manual should you need it to help in your struggle.
HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi, firstly thanks to all of you for your input it is as always
greatly appreciated.

I found the microswitch. Once I pushed it down I can hear a definite
click which removes the fault from the panel and leaves the tamper
light on.
When I put the cover back on the fault light re-appears thus
preventing me from clearing the tamper light.

I looked on the other working PIRs and I dont see what keeps the
tamper switch depressed. i.e. when the cover is lifted it would raise
and then show tamper.
So I cant seem to work out how that switch is actually activating.

Andrew- In the past when i replaced the battery on the PIR it would
show tamper and then I would just need to put in the user code and it
would clear. So in that case it didnt need an engineer code.

CJ - I couldnt see a rear tamper (I removed the whole PCB from the
casing to look at the back. On the front part of the PCB it has a 4700
sticker so I assume that maybe the 4700 and 4705 PIRs differ in this
respect.

I've put some pics here
http://www.flickr.com/gp/71954231@N00/i61g8V
if you have any further suggestions...

....although I'm getting the feeling that the new TV will have to wait
a bit longer until a new alarm is fitted

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
The tamper switch is the small micro-switch on the corner of the PCB.
It is activated by a plastic rib on the inside of the lens cover a common
fault with all Scantronics pir's is that if the sensor is not exactly flat
to the wall the switch will not make.
A very easy fix is to carefully bend the switch arm .
To do this hold the switch closed with one finger and gently bend the arm
away from the switch making sure the bend is between the actuator pin and
the free end.
(IE The steel strip is fixed to the switch body at one end it then passes
over a raised actuator pin about 1/4 of the way down the switch length
before continuing for the length of the switch.).
Also check that the cover fits snugly they should locate with a click .
HTH
CJ

Alarm tamper return AlanC UK diy 4 July 18th 06 12:42 AM
Telewest tamper-proof fixings Martin Pentreath UK diy 5 November 6th 05 12:31 AM
Secure (tamper proof) thermostat? [email protected] Home Repair 28 August 27th 05 01:21 AM
RCA Rca t25001gy "Tamper proof" locked Bedin Electronics Repair 1 May 28th 04 11:00 AM
Optima XM6 Tamper alarm Simmo UK diy 2 August 14th 03 05:17 PM