Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default foam: how to remove from brickwork

Hi,

I discovered that when my carport was built, the builders left gaping
holes where the joists entered the brickwork of the house. I decided
to fill these holes with some foam. I bought the low expansion type
because I know how much trouble foam can be

Unfortunately even though I used the low expansion foam and even
though I underfilled the holes to allow room for expansion, the foam
expanded a lot and some dripped down the walls. It looks like an ill
snail has crawled all over it!

The problem is that I have these bricks with a rough surface, IIRC
they are called "rustic" bricks. I think they are a PITA because there
rough surface is a magnet to get things like foam stuck in and its not
very gentle on your knuckles either

I tried very light sanding with a 240 grit paper and it removes some
of the cured "trail" and I have tried scraping the grooves of the
brick clean with a Stanley knife but it is a slow process!

I did try foam eater but I think that made it worse because rather
than have to remove a narrow foam trail, I now have a broader foam
eater trail to clear away ;(

I am thinking of using a wire brush. Would that work? I'll have to go
and buy one, I threw my old one away. I suppose a powered wire brush
on a drill would be too powerful and ruin the bricks?

I found that using a hole pipe blasted a little off. If I borrowed one
of those 100bar jet things do you think that would work?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:
I am thinking of using a wire brush. Would that work? I'll have to go
and buy one, I threw my old one away. I suppose a powered wire brush
on a drill would be too powerful and ruin the bricks?

Wire brush usually damages brick. Depending on the hardness
of the brick, you either scratch the brickwork, or the metal
rubs off the brush leaving a metalic finish on the bricks.
You could try it in a hidden area.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to remove from brickwork

Fred wrote:
[...]

Nip to the chemist and buy some acetone (or you can use nail varnish) and
the may do the trick - (it doesn't always work on porous materiala).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:46:14 +0000, Fred wrote:

[...]

===================================
If the wire brush is too harsh or marks the bricks try using an old style
floor scrubbing brush. They have strong bristles and they're dirt cheap
at a hardware shop.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tanner-'op" wrote:

Nip to the chemist and buy some acetone (or you can use nail varnish)

Most chemists will now suspect you of being a wannabee terrorist if you
try to buy acetone. And you mean nail varnish remover, not nail varnish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:46:14 +0000, Fred wrote:

I found that using a hole pipe blasted a little off. If I borrowed one
of those 100bar jet things do you think that would work?

I was going to suggest that (a pressure washer). I bought the LiDL one the
other day and found that it even gets the fine roots of Ivy off rough
brick walls.

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
"Tanner-'op" wrote:

Nip to the chemist and buy some acetone (or you can use nail varnish)

Most chemists will now suspect you of being a wannabee terrorist if
you try to buy acetone. And you mean nail varnish remover, not nail
varnish.

Nice spotting Steve, the old finger pressed the send button before the
brain was engaged (or signature typed) - and as for the "wannabee
terrorist" suspect - well if you take a photograph of a badly parked police
car now, you have a good chance of getting arrested under the Terrorism Act
(it was done recently to a person who did just that).

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:36:29 +0100, "Tanner-'op"
wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
"Tanner-'op" wrote:

Nip to the chemist and buy some acetone (or you can use nail varnish)

Most chemists will now suspect you of being a wannabee terrorist if
you try to buy acetone. And you mean nail varnish remover, not nail
varnish.

Nice spotting Steve, the old finger pressed the send button before the
brain was engaged (or signature typed) - and as for the "wannabee
terrorist" suspect - well if you take a photograph of a badly parked police
car now, you have a good chance of getting arrested under the Terrorism Act
(it was done recently to a person who did just that).

Tanner-'op

And where did the word "foam" escape to from the subject line . I now
have three seperate threads for this one topic showing ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

And where did the word "foam" escape to from the subject line . I now
have three seperate threads for this one topic showing ....

Outlook Express is a pile of steaming manure, and it assumes that
everything before a colon should be removed from the subject line. Since
Outhouse believes that the only text that could appear before ":" is Re,
FW etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
I was going to suggest that (a pressure washer). I bought the LiDL one the
other day and found that it even gets the fine roots of Ivy off rough
brick walls.

Oh, I've got some of that. Sounds like a good excuse
to get the 1600W water pistol out of the garage...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:46:14 GMT
Fred wrote:

Hi,

I discovered that when my carport was built, the builders left gaping
holes where the joists entered the brickwork of the house. I decided
to fill these holes with some foam. I bought the low expansion type
because I know how much trouble foam can be

snip

One saving grace is that over the next year or so Ultraviolet Light
will degrade the exposed foam and make it easier to brush off. You'll
need to brush if frequently after this process starts to expose more to
the UV. Of course, this assumes that the wall gets some sunshine....

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
"Tanner-'op" wrote:

Nip to the chemist and buy some acetone (or you can use nail varnish)

Most chemists will now suspect you of being a wannabee terrorist if
you try to buy acetone. And you mean nail varnish remover, not nail
varnish.

Nice spotting Steve, the old finger pressed the send button before the
brain was engaged (or signature typed) - and as for the "wannabee
terrorist" suspect - well if you take a photograph of a badly parked police
car now, you have a good chance of getting arrested under the Terrorism Act
(it was done recently to a person who did just that).

Tanner-'op

acetone is available from most fiberglass suppliers.
e.g. http://www.fibretechgb.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Fred writes:
I am thinking of using a wire brush. Would that work? I'll have to go
and buy one, I threw my old one away. I suppose a powered wire brush
on a drill would be too powerful and ruin the bricks?

Wire brush usually damages brick. Depending on the hardness
of the brick, you either scratch the brickwork, or the metal
rubs off the brush leaving a metalic finish on the bricks.
You could try it in a hidden area.

Would a brass bristle wire brush be better?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Fred writes:
I am thinking of using a wire brush. Would that work? I'll have to go
and buy one, I threw my old one away. I suppose a powered wire brush
on a drill would be too powerful and ruin the bricks?

Wire brush usually damages brick. Depending on the hardness
of the brick, you either scratch the brickwork, or the metal
rubs off the brush leaving a metalic finish on the bricks.
You could try it in a hidden area.

Would a brass bristle wire brush be better?

Brass will rub off onto the brick.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Fred writes:
I am thinking of using a wire brush. Would that work? I'll have to
go and buy one, I threw my old one away. I suppose a powered wire
brush on a drill would be too powerful and ruin the bricks?

Wire brush usually damages brick. Depending on the hardness
of the brick, you either scratch the brickwork, or the metal
rubs off the brush leaving a metalic finish on the bricks.
You could try it in a hidden area.

Would a brass bristle wire brush be better?

Brass will rub off onto the brick.

Ah. OK, just wondered.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 21:27:03 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

I was going to suggest that (a pressure washer).

Thanks, I couldn't remember what they were called. I have borrowed my
neighbour's; I'll let you know how I get on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
AW AW is offline

replying to Steve Firth, AW wrote:
pvc cleaner is acetone and readily available without risk of arrest

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...rk-499719-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/16 13:14, AW wrote:
replying to Steve Firth, AW wrote:
pvc cleaner is acetone and readily available without risk of arrest

I made the same point 8 years ago, when this thread was active.

I think there is something essentially stupid about people who use
homeowners hub. Well there has to be: That's why they use it.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 August 2008 19:46:14 UTC+1, Fred wrote:
[...]

Just leave it a while.
Sunlight makes it go yellow and then crumbly and easy to remove.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 10:30:14 -0700, harry wrote:

[...]

Do you think 8 years is long enough to leave it, Harry?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

Whoever put the cladding on our house years ago, sealed it with silicone
to the bricks. Every now and again, I give it a little prod, to see if
there's any chance of getting it off; but it's still well stuck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 19:04:35 UTC+1, mick wrote:
[...]

In direct sunlight it only takes a few months to be totally destroyed.
It will go yellow/orange in a matter of days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

harry wrote:

Fred wrote:

I decided to fill these holes with some foam.

Just leave it a while.
Sunlight makes it go yellow and then crumbly and easy to remove.

Whoever put the cladding on our house years ago, sealed it with silicone
to the bricks. Every now and again, I give it a little prod, to see if
there's any chance of getting it off; but it's still well stuck.

Way back when, fred was asking about foam, not silicone ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

harry wrote:

Fred wrote:

I decided to fill these holes with some foam.

Just leave it a while.
Sunlight makes it go yellow and then crumbly and easy to remove.

Whoever put the cladding on our house years ago, sealed it with silicone
to the bricks. Every now and again, I give it a little prod, to see if
there's any chance of getting it off; but it's still well stuck.

Way back when, fred was asking about foam, not silicone ...

I know. I'm just gassing off about something that I'm going to have to
confront soon :-)

Pointing Old Brickwork Edward W. Thompson UK diy 17 March 29th 08 02:20 PM
paint on external brickwork, easy to remove? Robert Laws UK diy 11 November 13th 06 11:37 AM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM
Brickwork Frank Erskine UK diy 3 July 24th 05 05:56 PM
Help! How to remove permanent marker from brickwork? sky UK diy 8 April 9th 05 03:20 PM