Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

Default step ladders

Hello,

My step ladder has developed a wobble, so I would like to replace it.
Are all step ladders created equal or are some better than others?

Silly question: I notice that the ones in the "sheds" have a black
oblong of plastic in the middle. Does this serve a useful purpose or
is it just somewhere for them to stamp their logo?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam wrote:
Hello,

My step ladder has developed a wobble, so I would like to replace it.
Are all step ladders created equal or are some better than others?

You might find one of these a good buy
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Combination-...530198#reviews

Works as a step ladder, an extension ladder, stair platform etc.

Wickes & B&Q sell them quite cheaply, this site has some gppd pictures of
one in use and a video.
http://www.bpsaccesssolutions.co.uk/...se_Ladder.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sam" wrote in message
Hello,

My step ladder has developed a wobble, so I would like to replace it.
Are all step ladders created equal or are some better than others?

Industrial Grade (BS Class 1) are the strongest. EN131 replaces BS Class 2
and is the next grade down, although EN131 is due to get an industrial grade
too. Domestic grade (BS Class 3) are lightweight step ladders that are
limited to 95kg, that is you and whatever you are carrying. Generally, but
not invariably, Industrial ladders should have a blue label and matching
feet while domestic grade should be red label. There is no specified colour
for EN 131, but BS grade 2 were yellow.

A stepladder with a work platform is both safer and more comfortable to use
for long periods. Platforms should also have a safety rail around them and
leaning against that, with both feet on the platform, gives you the three
points of contact that the HSE require for safe commercial use.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sam wrote:
Hello,

My step ladder has developed a wobble, so I would like to replace it.
Are all step ladders created equal or are some better than others?

You might find one of these a good buy
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Combination-...530198#reviews

Works as a step ladder, an extension ladder, stair platform etc.

Wickes & B&Q sell them quite cheaply, this site has some gppd pictures of
one in use and a video.
http://www.bpsaccesssolutions.co.uk/...se_Ladder.html

Sam, glad you asked that as I have been meaning to for some time.

TMH, I need to decorate a simple hall,stairs & landing. A three-part
affair (i.e. a few steps, square turn, few steps, square turn, top.
Nothing fancy - ordinary modern-ish house. Do you think this would give
me decent access to the ceiling and upper parts of the walls?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sam wrote:
My step ladder has developed a wobble, so I would like to replace it.
Are all step ladders created equal or are some better than others?

You might find one of these a good buy

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Combination-...ulti-Purpose-L
adder/invt/530198#reviews
Works as a step ladder, an extension ladder, stair platform etc.

Although it is a good bit of kit, I would hesitate to recommend one to
someone who needs just a stepladder.
They are heavy, not particularly easy to set up/release, and I find them
pretty unstable when used as a stepladder without the feet attached. And
of course, fitting the feet takes a few minutes more time.
Versatile, and easily stored in a van are the good points, but not as a
direct replacement for a home use stepladder.

I bought a Wickes glass fibre stepladder a few months ago for £40 iirc,-
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Step-Ladders...RP-Step-Ladder
/invt/170040
and find it really good, lightweight and stable. Perfect for normal
inside use like painting ceilings, fitting lights etc. Not long enough
to use for climbing in attics, but then I've got the fold up one that
does that.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

Although it is a good bit of kit, I would hesitate to recommend one to
someone who needs just a stepladder.
They are heavy, not particularly easy to set up/release, and I find
them pretty unstable when used as a stepladder without the feet
attached. And of course, fitting the feet takes a few minutes more
time.

I leave the feet on all the time - why take them off?

Versatile, and easily stored in a van are the good points, but not as
a direct replacement for a home use stepladder.

I like it because it means I only carry one ladder in the van (I think you
have a bigger van than me?). My big ladder goes on the roof as & when
needed - gutter cleaning etc.

I bought a Wickes glass fibre stepladder a few months ago for £40
iirc,-
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Step-Ladders...RP-Step-Ladder
/invt/170040
and find it really good, lightweight and stable. Perfect for normal
inside use like painting ceilings, fitting lights etc. Not long enough
to use for climbing in attics, but then I've got the fold up one that
does that.

I used a customers step ladder the other day, nice & light with a really
handy tool tray above the top step, I'd buy one if I could find one.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sam wrote:
Hello,

My step ladder has developed a wobble, so I would like to replace
it. Are all step ladders created equal or are some better than
others?

You might find one of these a good buy
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Combination-...530198#reviews

Works as a step ladder, an extension ladder, stair platform etc.

Wickes & B&Q sell them quite cheaply, this site has some gppd
pictures of one in use and a video.
http://www.bpsaccesssolutions.co.uk/...se_Ladder.html

Sam, glad you asked that as I have been meaning to for some time.

TMH, I need to decorate a simple hall,stairs & landing. A three-part
affair (i.e. a few steps, square turn, few steps, square turn, top.
Nothing fancy - ordinary modern-ish house. Do you think this would
give me decent access to the ceiling and upper parts of the walls?

Its what I use for precisely that job. I don't do a lot of decorating,
often little areas that the householder can't reach - like the areas you
describe. I'd reccommend them 100%, couldn't do without mine.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sam wrote:
[...]

Thank you. It is coming up soon... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Hello,

My step ladder has developed a wobble, so I would like to replace it.
Are all step ladders created equal or are some better than others?

Silly question: I notice that the ones in the "sheds" have a black
oblong of plastic in the middle. Does this serve a useful purpose or
is it just somewhere for them to stamp their logo?

TIA
The green fibreglass/metal rung type from Wickes are very stable, with good rubber feet and quite light, with a handy top tray for hand tools.
As a sparky, best steps i've ever used, although a bit more expensive than the basic aluminium types. Hope this helps.