Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Trunking - who do I call

I need some wired 'trunked'

I need it done professionally, I bought soem myself but it is too much of a
hassle cutting it etc and it needs to go aroudn some complex cornering.

What kind of a person does it professionally and woudl they bother coming
out to houses fo a 'small' job?

Aside from trubking and cable clips are there any other alternatives to
gettign wires aorudn the walls? (under floor is not an option)

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
I need some wired 'trunked'

I need it done professionally, I bought soem myself but it is too much
of a hassle cutting it etc and it needs to go aroudn some complex
cornering.

What kind of a person does it professionally and woudl they bother
coming out to houses fo a 'small' job?

Aside from trubking and cable clips are there any other alternatives to
gettign wires aorudn the walls? (under floor is not an option)

Cheers

few questions
1,What wires
2,how long

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"Kevin" wrote in message

Cheers

few questions
1,What wires
2,how long

--

2 telephone 1 network

Quite long, at a rough guess about 15m trunking required maybe, but the
corners and stuff make it really annoying.

I have sent off a few emaisl to osme random electricial installation
companies in the hoep oen can help

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2008 18:55, mo wrote:

2 telephone 1 network

Quite long, at a rough guess about 15m trunking required maybe, but the
corners and stuff make it really annoying.

Any sparky will be familiar with installing trunking, they might see it
as a trivial job and be reluctant to take it on, but then again it's not
really so difficult to DIY, so long as access is OK and you're mobile
enough.

I have sent off a few emaisl to osme random electricial installation
companies in the hoep oen can help

YA"TNP"AICM£5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
On 03/08/2008 18:55, mo wrote:

2 telephone 1 network

Quite long, at a rough guess about 15m trunking required maybe, but
the corners and stuff make it really annoying.

Any sparky will be familiar with installing trunking, they might see it
as a trivial job and be reluctant to take it on, but then again it's not
really so difficult to DIY, so long as access is OK and you're mobile
enough.

I have sent off a few emaisl to osme random electricial installation
companies in the hoep oen can help

YA"TNP"AICM£5

if its your house and you are not that fussey clip it to the
wall/skirting or if you have enough room under the skirting

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:
On 03/08/2008 18:55, mo wrote:

2 telephone 1 network

Quite long, at a rough guess about 15m trunking required maybe, but the
corners and stuff make it really annoying.

Any sparky will be familiar with installing trunking, they might see it
as a trivial job and be reluctant to take it on, but then again it's not
really so difficult to DIY, so long as access is OK and you're mobile
enough.

I have sent off a few emaisl to osme random electricial installation
companies in the hoep oen can help

YA"TNP"AICM£5

if its your house and you are not that fussey clip it to the wall/skirting
or if you have enough room under the skirting

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

its not really that dificult to instal yourself, we use this stuff when
required at work, http://tinyurl.com/5u78tb, from RS components, i know its
pricey but i dont pay for it.

Theres plenty of pre-made angles for any awkward parts you might have

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 19:40, "mo" wrote:
I need some wired 'trunked'

I need it done professionally, I bought soem myself but it is too much of a
hassle cutting it etc and it needs to go aroudn some complex cornering.

What kind of a person does it professionally and woudl they bother coming
out to houses fo a 'small' job?

Aside from trubking and cable clips are there any other alternatives to
gettign wires aorudn the walls? (under floor is not an option)

Cheers

If you have fitted carpets (and this is low voltage cable) just drop
it between the gripper and the skirting board -- there's usually a
gap; move the gripper if not, or cut out slots of underlay.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
I need some wired 'trunked'

I need it done professionally, I bought soem myself but it is too
much of a hassle cutting it etc and it needs to go aroudn some
complex cornering.
What kind of a person does it professionally and woudl they bother
coming out to houses fo a 'small' job?

Aside from trubking and cable clips are there any other alternatives
to gettign wires aorudn the walls? (under floor is not an option)

Have a look at 'D' Line trunking here
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/index.html

Range of colours and internal/external corners & stuff, looks very neat & is
dead simple to install.

Its trunking Jim, but not as we know it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GHOSTBUSTERS!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

mo wrote:
I need some wired 'trunked'

I need it done professionally, I bought soem myself but it is too
much of a hassle cutting it etc and it needs to go aroudn some
complex cornering.
What kind of a person does it professionally and woudl they bother
coming out to houses fo a 'small' job?

Aside from trubking and cable clips are there any other alternatives
to gettign wires aorudn the walls? (under floor is not an option)

Have a look at 'D' Line trunking here
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/index.html

Range of colours and internal/external corners & stuff, looks very neat &
is dead simple to install.

Concur. Used a bit to route a network cable round my rented house, tacked on
with panel pins so landlord can remove it cleanly when we're gone (it
actually comes with self adhesive foam backing for quick permanant
installation).

To the OP:

It does look good, as good as surface trunking will ever look IMO. Not so
cheap mind, but B&Q + Homebase stock it so sourcing is easy.

It is *very* easy to get a neat job. Buy a bag of the little corner pieces
to suit the run (3 types: inner, outer and flat bend) and most of the cuts
needed will then be square. Junior hacksaw is fine, sharp knife will
probably work on the smaller stuff.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Have a look at 'D' Line trunking here
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/index.html

Range of colours and internal/external corners & stuff, looks very neat &
is dead simple to install.

Its trunking Jim, but not as we know it.

I have some of the stuff on a roll

I wouldnt midn tring otu oen of those cutters tho, but 19 quid is too
expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:33:19 +0100, "mo" wrote:

I wouldnt midn tring otu oen of those cutters tho, but 19 quid is too
expensive.

If you think £19 is expensive I assume you have not yet received any
quotes from networking companies?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:33:19 +0100, "mo" wrote:

I wouldnt midn tring otu oen of those cutters tho, but 19 quid is too
expensive.

If you think £19 is expensive I assume you have not yet received any
quotes from networking companies?

I havent had any replies to my emails yet on the account of it being sunday
night

19 quid plus the 17 quid for the atcual trunking and that is before i have
even started putting it on etc - i imagien an electrician could do it all in
maybe an hour for maybe 50-60 quid? much more worthwhile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 3, 11:05*pm, "mo" wrote:
"Peter Parry" wrote in message

news
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:33:19 +0100, "mo" wrote:

I wouldnt midn tring otu oen of those cutters tho, but 19 quid is too
expensive.

If you think £19 is expensive I assume you have not yet received any
quotes from networking companies?

I havent had any replies to my emails yet on the account of it being sunday
night

19 quid plus the 17 quid for the atcual trunking and that is before i have
even started putting it on etc - i imagien an electrician could do it all in
maybe an hour for maybe 50-60 quid? much more worthwhile

You need to diy this. It'll save you plenty, with which you can buy
something you fancy, it'll give you another skill and boost your
confidence. And its not hard.

Other ways to run wire... thread it thru a little hole in the floor
into the floor cavity and up the other side. Much neater, can be a git
getting it threaded though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Aug 3, 11:05 pm, "mo" wrote:
[...]

If you go this way, also thread a dummy cable. You can pull other cables
with it at a later date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
"Peter Parry" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:33:19 +0100, "mo" wrote:

I wouldnt midn tring otu oen of those cutters tho, but 19 quid is
too expensive.

If you think £19 is expensive I assume you have not yet received any
quotes from networking companies?

I havent had any replies to my emails yet on the account of it being
sunday night

19 quid plus the 17 quid for the atcual trunking and that is before i
have even started putting it on etc - i imagien an electrician could
do it all in maybe an hour for maybe 50-60 quid? much more worthwhile

You haven't employed an electrician lately have you :-)

What cutters? D Line cuts with a junior hacksaw.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Another trunking question mo UK diy 1 July 13th 08 06:50 PM
trunking [email protected] UK diy 1 August 23rd 07 02:17 AM
Trunking (coiled) Grumps UK diy 31 July 20th 07 08:45 AM
Night call out -- then cancell call Stormin Mormon Home Repair 10 July 22nd 06 11:49 AM
Skirting trunking? Nigel Molesworth UK diy 1 January 18th 06 04:27 PM