Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; It had to happen.

"Rod" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:33:54 +0100, Invisible Man
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
The whole point about this incident is that it's small minded and
vindictive. A friendly warning might have been more appropriate, but
we
no longer live in that kind of world

It goes further than that. If he is a one man business and owns his
van
the law has no business interfering in whether he smokes in it or not.
I have a workshop as part of my house - and I sometimes carry out paid
for
work in that. Should the law ban me from smoking in there too?

Not sure but I believe the test is whether any other employees or
co-workers will EVER be carried in the vehicle. I.e. The idea is to
protect those at work from danger.

How about motor mechanics who have to sit in the vehicle whilst
servicing it?
They should have some protection too...

--
Frank Erskine

Council tenants (in my area) must not smoke indoors 30 minutes prior to a
council workman/sub contractor/official/pen pusher entering their
property. One person I know, who works for the council, boasts that he
managed to smoke 3 cigs waiting outside a house for 30 minutes as the
"client" answered the door whilst smoking.

Adam

Does this work both ways? Could/can a 'customer' (we're all customers now
:-)

I am not always a customers. If I pay for a service I am a client.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:54:11 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
The whole point about this incident is that it's small minded and
vindictive. A friendly warning might have been more appropriate, but we
no longer live in that kind of world
It goes further than that. If he is a one man business and owns his van
the law has no business interfering in whether he smokes in it or not.
I have a workshop as part of my house - and I sometimes carry out paid for
work in that. Should the law ban me from smoking in there too?

Yes!
It is a place of work and if you employ anyone a smoking ban is required.

Not necessarily. If you don't employ anyone you can do what like when
working from home - if you do employ someone they may consent to your
smoking.

This particular area has caused much debate in my industry,
specifically the legality of people smoking at private events (
parties, weddings etc. ) held within the grounds of their own home.
Staff will be employed ( waiters, bartenders, musicians etc. ) and the
law states that if you're employed to work in a smoker's house you
have no right to request that they not smoke in your presence.
You do, however, have a right to refuse to work there.

Regards,

Always nice to know we have rights. The government can give the people
those without it costing them anything
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
[...]

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:02:05 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

You need to look at who is making the real money out of smoking. Its not
the ciggarette companies.

So cigarettes are just a tax-raising scam by the guvmint?

That'll be why they've recently banned smoking in so many places then.
The passive smokers were gettign their smoke for free, so then Gordon
stopped them. That makes sense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadworth"
saying something like:

I am not always a customers. If I pay for a service I am a client.

Aye, Madame Cyn was telling us so, just the other day.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:45:50 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

The surgeon had just told the addict that the leg would come
off and that they should stop smoking now, if they wanted to stand a
chance ...

Woo Hoo !

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

wrote:

The surgeon had just told the addict that the leg would come
off and that they should stop smoking now, if they wanted to stand a
chance ...

Woo Hoo !

Derek

He does not need to stop smoking he needs to move further inland.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00012/art00557

All these coastal walks which have been constructed in recent years are
going to play havoc with the nation's health.
;-)