Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Driving In France, new law!

fine.

I just have a cheap pair from Glasses Direct - 15 quid.

If it's just reading glasses you want, ASDA have 2 pairs in a pack for
£2. Unbelievable. I am not sure why, but they are in the pharmacy
section and not the optical section (£10 here) in out big Asda.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:22:44 UTC, Chewbacca wrote:

fine.

I just have a cheap pair from Glasses Direct - 15 quid.

If it's just reading glasses you want, ASDA have 2 pairs in a pack for
£2. Unbelievable. I am not sure why, but they are in the pharmacy
section and not the optical section (£10 here) in out big Asda.

Wouldn't be much good for me as the two eyes are totally different
(disregarding the lack of much central vision in one of them).
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

SFAIK, the class
is not specified for use in cars in any of the european legislation.

There's a standard tag which the French require to be present.
A quick google suggests EN471 is the applicable one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

SFAIK, the class
is not specified for use in cars in any of the european legislation.

There's a standard tag which the French require to be present.
A quick google suggests EN471 is the applicable one.

EN471 is the European standard for high visibility clothing, but anything
that is either Class 1, 2 or 3 will carry that standard mark.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

SFAIK, the class
is not specified for use in cars in any of the european legislation.

There's a standard tag which the French require to be present. A quick
google suggests EN471 is the applicable one.

EN471 is the European standard for high visibility clothing, but
anything that is either Class 1, 2 or 3 will carry that standard mark.

Furry muff, but some pikey stuff might not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John W. wrote:
In article 3752c192-9e96-46b5-bbbf-c4dca6ce8700
@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...

Speaking of which, you know the pathologist on one of the CSIs who
has a pair that snap together? How do they work? Magnets? The
action is always too fast on the screen to make out what happens.

Neodymium magnet, see
http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/relea..._30000065.html

Haven't tried them myself - I go for their cheaper types. Are they
compass safe? :-)

Interesting site that, great prices. Are they OK?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave
saying something like:

The only other ppl I know, still has good vision in both eyes. Can you
continue to fly with a cataract on one eye like can do when driving?

Most certainly. I used to know a one-eyed PPL - a bit of a git, but that
was nothing to do with his flying, which was technically quite good
(apart from when he put my life at risk, but that was a one-off). He did
say his flying test was quite intensive. He's lost an eye when a kid, so
was well used to it.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John W. wrote:
In article 3752c192-9e96-46b5-bbbf-c4dca6ce8700
@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...

Speaking of which, you know the pathologist on one of the CSIs who
has a pair that snap together? How do they work? Magnets? The
action is always too fast on the screen to make out what happens.

Neodymium magnet, see
http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/relea..._30000065.html

Haven't tried them myself - I go for their cheaper types. Are they
compass safe? :-)

Interesting site that, great prices. Are they OK?

I have a 15 GBP pair from them; no complaints about the service or the
quality of the specs. However, the only problem IMHO is the fitting
aspect - that's the one thing you can't really do online. In the
optician's showroom you get to try different frames till you find one
that works for you; and although glassesdirect have a very good returns
policy (and they'll also send you blank frames to try out) it's not
quite the same. They also suggest that you take the measurements
printed on your existing frame and match those. Courtesy of my
apparently broad head and small nose my specs continually slide down my
nose.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave
saying something like:

The only other ppl I know, still has good vision in both eyes. Can you
continue to fly with a cataract on one eye like can do when driving?

Most certainly. I used to know a one-eyed PPL - a bit of a git, but that
was nothing to do with his flying,

Was it anything to with his being optically challenged, though?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

nightjar cpb@ wrote:

My pilot's licence requires me to carry a spare pair when flying too. I
routinely have a spare pair in the car and carry a pair (sometimes two)
in my coat, but, with my eyesight, I would need one of the spare pairs to
find the main pair if I dropped them.

The only other ppl I know, still has good vision in both eyes. Can you
continue to fly with a cataract on one eye like can do when driving?

I suspect the CAA would require a safety pilot to be aboard, but it is not
something I have needed to ask them about. By the time most people are
likely to be prone to cataracts, they will be on 12 or 6 monthly medicals
(which include a vision test) anyway.

I had my first one done at the age of 52, the next one is not due until
the eye gets worse.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

nightjar cpb@ wrote:

My pilot's licence requires me to carry a spare pair when flying too. I
routinely have a spare pair in the car and carry a pair (sometimes two)
in my coat, but, with my eyesight, I would need one of the spare pairs
to find the main pair if I dropped them.

The only other ppl I know, still has good vision in both eyes. Can you
continue to fly with a cataract on one eye like can do when driving?

I suspect the CAA would require a safety pilot to be aboard, but it is
not something I have needed to ask them about. By the time most people
are likely to be prone to cataracts, they will be on 12 or 6 monthly
medicals (which include a vision test) anyway.

I had my first one done at the age of 52, the next one is not due until
the eye gets worse.

It took several years between needing the operation for a friend of mine,
which caused her some problems. After the operation, she had one eye with
good distance vision and one that still needed a few dioptres correction,
which lead to headaches if she didn't wear glasses, which she rarely did.

Checking the current CAA rules, it looks as though they have dropped the two
year medical for younger PPL holders, so everyone needs an annual test, with
six monthly medicals starting at age 60.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

nightjar cpb@ wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..

nightjar cpb@ wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that, one of the regulars in my real ale pub still has a PPL,
but he doesn't come in every day. He is now in his seventies. Not sure
if he still flies though.

Going back to dioptres the eye that was operated on comes back into
focus at about 2 foot from the paper/screen etc and continues to infinity.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

nightjar cpb@ wrote:

Checking the current CAA rules, it looks as though they have dropped the two
year medical for younger PPL holders, so everyone needs an annual test, with
six monthly medicals starting at age 60.

Colin Bignell

Dont think thats right. I'm over 70 and the medical
requirement is still annual. Well it was last June!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob" wrote in message
nightjar cpb@ wrote:

Checking the current CAA rules, it looks as though they have dropped the
two year medical for younger PPL holders, so everyone needs an annual
test, with six monthly medicals starting at age 60.

Colin Bignell

Dont think thats right. I'm over 70 and the medical requirement is still
annual. Well it was last June!

It appears there is more than one CAA and I may have picked up the wrong
one. Another source puts it at annual above age 49. I failed my medical a
few years ago, so I don't have first hand experience any more.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

Most certainly. I used to know a one-eyed PPL - a bit of a git, but that
was nothing to do with his flying,

Was it anything to with his being optically challenged, though?

Possibly; who knows? He certainly had to prove he was as good as any
two-eyeballed git in every way.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guys,

I just got back.

P&O are handing out leaflets at Dover:

"New French law from July 2008

"Warning Triangle and Reflective Vests:

"Motoring law in France .... now requires all vehicles to carry...
Reflective vest, for drivers AND passengers, for use in the event of
breakdowns and emergencies"

The French law at

http://www2.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr..._14-04-08.html

states (my translation)

"The CISR has decided that the drivers of all vehicles* must have a
security jacket and a warning triangle"

The asterisk links to...

"*This affects all drivers of cars registered in France as well of
visiting vehicles. It does not affect vehicles with two or three
wheels, nor quadricycles with no body"

They then add

"Sanctions from 1st October 2008" "From this date, breach of these
regulations will count as a breach of the 4th class (major fine €135,
minor fine €90)"

- So P&O say you need one vest for the driver (true, but not until
October) and every passenger (untrue) and for motorcyclists (untrue).

And they are IIRC £8 in *their* shop.

Since they lost us a total of 2.5 hours in delays and (unannounced)
schedule changes we'll probably go elsewhere next time anyway!

Andy