Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting paint off pipes

Getting paint (usually emulsion) off of copper pipes is a right PITA. Has
to be done though.

Ok if you can get a blowlamp involved, but many times you can't. I've tried
pipe prep tools, those open mesh abrasive strips for plumbers & stainless
steel scrubby thingys, all work, but too slow.

Any other methods of shifting it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Getting paint (usually emulsion) off of copper pipes is a right PITA. Has
to be done though.

Ok if you can get a blowlamp involved, but many times you can't. I've tried
pipe prep tools, those open mesh abrasive strips for plumbers & stainless
steel scrubby thingys, all work, but too slow.

Any other methods of shifting it?

I have tried all the below - but it does stick rather well, doesn't it?
Don't think anything actually works better than Nitromors. Except
replacing the pipe... :-)

Nitromors.
Sandpaper.
Scotchbrite pads.
Scrubbing brush and vim (scouring powder).
NaOH.
Wire brush.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Getting paint (usually emulsion) off of copper pipes is a right PITA. Has
to be done though.

Ok if you can get a blowlamp involved, but many times you can't. I've tried
pipe prep tools, those open mesh abrasive strips for plumbers & stainless
steel scrubby thingys, all work, but too slow.

Any other methods of shifting it?

Have a look in Wickes for one of the blue pipe cleaner thingies (cost
about a fiver IIRC - looks like a blue cylinder about 40mm diameter and
75mm long). It has a 15mm end and a 22mm one. The inside being lined
with a fine steel brush. You shove it over the end of the pipe and turn.
One direction is easy - a few turns and it leaves the pipe nice and
clean if its just dirty metal. Turn it the other way however and you get
a much harsher brush action - that will usually take emulsion off.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Getting paint (usually emulsion) off of copper pipes is a right PITA. Has
to be done though.

Ok if you can get a blowlamp involved, but many times you can't. I've
tried pipe prep tools, those open mesh abrasive strips for plumbers &
stainless steel scrubby thingys, all work, but too slow.

Any other methods of shifting it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Once upon a time I'd have just said: "It'd be cheaper and quicker to replace
the pipe." But I suppose that is no longer the case...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Getting paint (usually emulsion) off of copper pipes is a right
PITA. Has to be done though.

Ok if you can get a blowlamp involved, but many times you can't. I've
tried pipe prep tools, those open mesh abrasive strips for
plumbers & stainless steel scrubby thingys, all work, but too slow.

Any other methods of shifting it?

Have a look in Wickes for one of the blue pipe cleaner thingies (cost
about a fiver IIRC - looks like a blue cylinder about 40mm diameter
and 75mm long). It has a 15mm end and a 22mm one. The inside being
lined with a fine steel brush. You shove it over the end of the pipe
and turn. One direction is easy - a few turns and it leaves the pipe
nice and clean if its just dirty metal. Turn it the other way however
and you get a much harsher brush action - that will usually take
emulsion off.

I've got one of those, but its not doing the job - maybe I need to replace
it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Getting paint (usually emulsion) off of copper pipes is a right PITA. Has
to be done though.

Ok if you can get a blowlamp involved, but many times you can't. I've
tried pipe prep tools, those open mesh abrasive strips for plumbers &
stainless steel scrubby thingys, all work, but too slow.

Any other methods of shifting it?

Having a similar problem recently I just tapped the paint with the side of a
file and it chipped off.

Other than that.............

..
..
..
..
..
.. Angle Grinder ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...
Getting paint (usually emulsion) off of copper pipes is a right
PITA. Has to be done though.

Ok if you can get a blowlamp involved, but many times you can't. I've
tried pipe prep tools, those open mesh abrasive strips for
plumbers & stainless steel scrubby thingys, all work, but too slow.

Any other methods of shifting it?

Having a similar problem recently I just tapped the paint with the
side of a file and it chipped off.

Other than that.............

. Angle Grinder ;-)

I was actually thinking of using my Dremel - does that count as an angle
grinder?

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman