Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to a sash window

I have a sash window - approx 2000 x 1000mm - above the workbench area in
the workshop. It is difficult to paint or clean on the outside being above
the conservatory and I'd like to replace it with a double glazed
maintenance free unit which is also easy to clean from the inside. I'm not
too worried about the looks (non original) from the outside as it is at
the rear of the house.
I've seen some clever opening arrangements on TV but don't know where to
look to see what's on offer. I'd want to install it myself so don't want a
double glazing salesman.

--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Scottish Building Regs require all (or all above a certain height)
windows to be cleanable from the inside.

Traditional sash windows can be made cleanable from inside, one of the
retaining beads is unscrewed at the bottom and the lower sash can then
swing inwards, supported by screw hinge-brackets on the other retaining
bead. The upper sash can then be slid down and cleaned by leaning out
over the top of it, or traditionally by sitting on the window sill with
legs inside the house and torso outside.

Sounds a right faff. ;-) And a bit awkward in this case because of the
fixed workbench below it.
What I'd really like is something that looks roughly like the existing
sash at first glance but opens every which way through some clever
mechanism.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 21 Jul, 08:26, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Owain wrote:

[...]

try these altho are upvc...
we had some in last house, they look OK (from a distance quite good)
and you can tilt both sashes inwards to clean

www.quickslide.co.uk

jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Owain wrote:

[...]

PVC is fine - other windows at the back are that - and it looks like just
what I'm after. Thanks.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cabling across a sash window! S.O.T UK diy 17 January 31st 08 11:47 PM
Sash window won't stay up Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 10 August 31st 06 06:46 PM
Window Sash Making Mike Woodworking 1 September 27th 03 06:19 AM
My first sash window! (A bit long) Adam UK diy 3 September 17th 03 04:47 PM
Painting a sash window... Adam UK diy 5 September 10th 03 04:53 PM