Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fire alarms

Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they told
me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them.
However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is this
fixable, or should I get them back out to it?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they told
me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them.
However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is this
fixable, or should I get them back out to it?

Dave

To answer my own question, I have just found out that the chirp is
coming from one of the old alarms that the fire brigade has left behind.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
wrote
Dave wrote:
Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they
told me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them.
However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is
this fixable, or should I get them back out to it?
Dave

To answer my own question, I have just found out that the chirp is
coming from one of the old alarms that the fire brigade has left
behind.

Smoke alarms chirp when the battery is getting flat and needs replacing.
A hot day may be enough to raise the battery's terminal voltage and so
the chirping stops - only to start again at 1am when the night gets
colder

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:18:01 +0100, Dave wrote:

Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they told
me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them.
However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is this
fixable, or should I get them back out to it?

Didn't know the Fire Brigade did commercial work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"Appelation Controlee" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:18:01 +0100, Dave wrote:

Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they told
me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them.
However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is this
fixable, or should I get them back out to it?

Didn't know the Fire Brigade did commercial work.

Hampshire Fire service will put free fire alarms in anyones homes IIRC. They
offered to do ours once when we ahd to call them out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Appelation Controlee" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:18:01 +0100, Dave wrote:

Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they told
me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them.
However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is this
fixable, or should I get them back out to it?

Didn't know the Fire Brigade did commercial work.

They do lots, they only fight fires for a very small percentage of their
time.

They fit smoke alarms for free to the vulnerable.
They just supplied and fitted a nice wireless alarm for my dad.
It has a flashing light, extra loud alarm and a vibrating pillow pad as he
can't hear a normal alarm (I tried three different sounding ones but gave
up).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appelation Controlee wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:18:01 +0100, Dave wrote:

Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they told
me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them.
However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is this
fixable, or should I get them back out to it?

Didn't know the Fire Brigade did commercial work.

Neither did I, but we got the originals fitted some years ago when next
door's clothes drier caught fire and blackened her house. The fire
brigade fitted them after they put the fire out.

They came back to the village centre in a high profile visit and when my
wife went to see what they were up to, she was asked if we had any smoke
detectors fitted. When she told them how long we had had them they said
that they would change them for the ten year battery jobbies. I'm always
up for a bit of free maintenance :-)
One man changed the detectors and the other went through a script to
determine how much we are at risk of a fire.
Have you got a chip pan? No
Do either of you smoke? No
Do you close all the doors when you go to bed? Yea

He turned round after and said that we were on the lowest scale of
having a house fire. Not that bad considering I was trained by Oldham
fire brigade in how to tackle a cotton mill fire, Lancashire brigade in
how to tackle a fire, but I can't remember the circumstances and finally
by British Aerospace on tackling an aircraft fire, so I think he was
preaching to the converted some what :-)
Makes you wonder though, how is this funded?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Appelation Controlee" wrote in message
.. .

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:18:01 +0100, Dave wrote:

Fire brigade came last week to change our 2 smoke alarms and they told
me that they are the ten year battery ones and how to test them.
However, one of them gives a chirp out about every ten minutes. Is this
fixable, or should I get them back out to it?

Didn't know the Fire Brigade did commercial work.

They do lots, they only fight fires for a very small percentage of their
time.

They fit smoke alarms for free to the vulnerable.

Oi! I might be 62 and have just got my first bus pass, but I am not
vulnerable yet :-)

They just supplied and fitted a nice wireless alarm for my dad.
It has a flashing light, extra loud alarm and a vibrating pillow pad as
he can't hear a normal alarm (I tried three different sounding ones but
gave up).

Might need that for the wife, she will not admit that she is going deaf.
FIL was quite deaf, but he put that down to being a gunner during
W.W.II. Now I think it runs/ran in the family, as FILs mother was quite
deaf.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Dave wrote:

Makes you wonder though, how is this funded?

Through taxes.

Fires are expensive, smoke alarms are cheap, and the brigade do it when
they'd otherwise be sitting watching "Trisha"

That did cross my mind :-)

Dave