Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hand Care

"Rod" wrote in message
Most of the posters here are not the tough-handed builders and workmen
with layers of callus built up over years. So, when we indulge in manual
activity such as is often discussed here, we need to consider our skin.

I try to remember to bung on a bit of Screwfix cheapest barrier cream
before. After, wash with liquid soap and treat with hand cream (either
L'Occitane containing shea butter or Nivea Age Defying Contains Q10 Plus).
(I have found that some hand creams seem to dry out my skin and keep
making me want to put on more and more. That is why I have been so
specific about the ones I use - they seem to work.)

I also try to use gloves - when I think about it! But to be honest, I hate
doing so. And sweaty glove-insides are pretty nasty for the skin as well.

And I still end up having days, even weeks, of intensely dry-feeling hands
where I am desperate to plunge them into water or oil. The best relief I
get is often just to make fists so that as much of the skin is touching
other skin as possible! (Partner has to tell me to stop clenching them at
times it gets so bad.)

Cement/concrete/plaster are the absolute worst. Soil, white spirit and
other solvents are pretty awful. And cleaning with detergents or sugar
soap. And of course we have the silicone sealants, polyurethanes and
gripfill/pink stuff with their unremovable horrors.

It seems likely that dry hands and damaged skin will be common experiences
here. Anyone care to share their experiences and approaches?

Nitrile Gloves. For some reason you seem to sweat far less in them than in
Latex, or even worse, vinyl gloves.