Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default There was I, digging this 'ole...

No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy,

iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's

the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using

water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking

detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

Well, a couple of weeks ago I thumped a two foot length of scaffold
pole into our orchard for the wifes washing spinner thing by simply
hitting it with a 14 lb sledge hammer. No issues and entirely
satisfactory.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

3ft piece of scaffold pole,get the grinder on the end ie sharpen it up good
style like.

Wack the pole inta ground with a good ole lump hammer,wack it in a 1ft and
pull it out,clear the earth out of the pole and in the hole if its left some
behind,wack the pole into the ground another foot then pull out as before.
Get big pole and stand on a tall ladder and give it a few wacks into the
ground then get some wood about a foot and wack about three of em around the
side of the pole into the ground so none are sticking out of ground.

Done. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

Well, a couple of weeks ago I thumped a two foot length of scaffold
pole into our orchard for the wifes washing spinner thing by simply
hitting it with a 14 lb sledge hammer. No issues and entirely
satisfactory.

AWEM

Hah! but e's pole is bigger than yours by about another 5ft to 6ft.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

The water technique came up in a discussion over lunch at work only
yesterday. Connect the water supply to the free end of the pipe in a
leak free, pressure tight manner.
Turn on the water with a low flow rate and push the pipe into the
ground. The water washes to soil way at the end of the pipe and the mud
slurry forms a lubricant for the outside of the pipe. Too much water and
the hole is made too big.
hth
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jun, 20:51, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

Is this a washing line pole or the pole for what I see is called a
"Rotary Airer" !

If it's for a line, I have my doubts that just thumping it into the
ground will give sturdy enough structure to withstand the sideways
pull of the washing on the line. That does require a reasonably
massive weight and the traditional solution was to dig a fairly large
hole and fill it with crude concrete with the said pole in the middle
of it. The ones I took out of my garden were nominal spheres and from
memory must have been at least 30 inches in diameter

For the rotary line, the solution is not that much different but the
hole is considerably smaller - an ordinary plastic bucket sunk in the
ground and again filled with concrete with the sleeve for the pole in
the middle.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

Well, a couple of weeks ago I thumped a two foot length of scaffold
pole into our orchard for the wifes washing spinner thing by simply
hitting it with a 14 lb sledge hammer. No issues and entirely
satisfactory.

AWEM

Hah! but e's pole is bigger than yours by about another 5ft to 6ft.?

Correct. My pole is ~10' in its socks. I'm not wielding my big 'ammer on the
top rung of a ladder. Right next to the greenhouse too!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy,
iron scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet.
What's the best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about
someone using water from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground
but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

Is this a washing line pole or the pole for what I see is called a
"Rotary Airer" !

A proper washing line, so I too doubt thumping it in will work unless I hire
a crane to hang off, or a nellycopter. I like the idea of using a smaller
pointy piece of pole to make a hole in stages but I haven't got a piece and
it *will* get stuck, but for the sheer potential entertainment factor it has
to Bob's instruction on the hose pipe method. This will be tried first. You
can tell I have faith by the "first".

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

1 Obtain a shorter piece of same dia scaff pole.
2 Using percussive action from a sledge 'ammer knock the short bit into
the ground to the depth required, wobble pole a bit as you go so facilitate
removal. This is a Saturday job. NOTE....ENSURE UPRIGHTYNESS WITH LEVEL
3 Remove short length and fill 'ole with slurry of wet cement. (6 to 1
mix) to within a 3rd depth of the top of 'ole
4 Put full length pole into 'ole pressing/pulling down on pole with much
bellyforce as possible. (Assistance from a fat ******* will help)
NOTE....ENSURE UPRIGHTYNESS WITH LEVEL AGAIN.
5 Await much dryness of the mix while having a few beers and a Sunday
roast.
6 Next day (or maybe 3) test the structure for soundness by leaning on
said pole while holding can of beer in hand. Observe spillage.

IF no spillage then job done......Get SWMBO to hang washing on line and test
for stability.

If spillage .................. you cocked it up between 3 to 5 above
somewhere.

Should you NOT observe the MUCH UPRIGHTYNESS part ANYWHERE..............You
*WILL* be ridiculed by all and sundry because of your inability when sober
to sort out a simple task of having a line pole vertical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Dig a hole 3 foot deep and 3 foot wide, put pole in middle and put ready
mix concrete around it. Let the ground moisture make it go off. It would
be better if you could get an aluminium pole though.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:12:23 +0100, Dave wrote:

Dig a hole 3 foot deep and 3 foot wide,

Its piddly washing line pole not a 20' lattice mast!

If the OP can get 2' of his 10' pole (oh er missus) into the ground then
it's not going anywhere quickly. Indeed it's more likely to fail by
bending at ground level than unearthing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Dig a hole 3 foot deep and 3 foot wide, put pole in middle and put
ready mix concrete around it. Let the ground moisture make it go off.
It would be better if you could get an aluminium pole though.

Dave

You can FRO with your big holes. That is not happening. I'm having to lift a
patio slab out as it is - I don't want to be taking four out!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Dig a hole 3 foot deep and 3 foot wide, put pole in middle and put
ready mix concrete around it. Let the ground moisture make it go off.
It would be better if you could get an aluminium pole though.

Dave

You can FRO with your big holes. That is not happening. I'm having to lift a
patio slab out as it is - I don't want to be taking four out!

RAOTFLMAO. Took me a few seconds BISWYM :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
1 Obtain a shorter piece of same dia scaff pole.

Much snippage

I like the cut of your jib, young RW, and plan to follow your suggestion to
the letter - as soon as I've tried the hose pipe method. Just because I want
to, and I can for it is my pole. I'm seeing all sorts of things going wrong,
most involving me getting very wet.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

What you need is a shorter piece of tube, preferably with the lower end
blocked and pointy, that the pole will fit into and whack that into the
ground. As tubes are generally made in sizes such that one will fit into the
next size up it shouldn't be hard to find a suitable bit. Local scrap
dealer?
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:

1 Obtain a shorter piece of same dia scaff pole.

Much snippage

I like the cut of your jib, young RW, and plan to follow your suggestion to
the letter - as soon as I've tried the hose pipe method. Just because I want
to, and I can for it is my pole. I'm seeing all sorts of things going wrong,
most involving me getting very wet.

Just a thought, how about a wet tee shirt competition between you and
the wife? Might get warm later ;-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

I suspect you are not planning to put the pole in deep enough. I would
expect to need to bury about 1/3 of the length, rather than just 1/4. As for
putting it up, a Bobcat with a post hole borer would be fun and you would
get a nice large hole around the post you could fill with concrete for extra
stability.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

I am going to commit the usua;l crime of saying 'why'?

If it has any lateral load on it, 2' is useless.

If it doesn't, why put it in the ground at all?

A bulb corer will get you dwon a foot anyway. Then use it again.

Or a spade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Dig a hole 3 foot deep and 3 foot wide, put pole in middle and put
ready mix concrete around it. Let the ground moisture make it go off.
It would be better if you could get an aluminium pole though.

Dave

You can FRO with your big holes. That is not happening. I'm having to lift a
patio slab out as it is - I don't want to be taking four out!

Si

No worries mate if. You dont the pole will, when it falls over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:12:23 +0100, Dave wrote:

Dig a hole 3 foot deep and 3 foot wide,

Its piddly washing line pole not a 20' lattice mast!

If the OP can get 2' of his 10' pole (oh er missus) into the ground then
it's not going anywhere quickly. Indeed it's more likely to fail by
bending at ground level than unearthing.

Some of us know what we are talking about.

I remember my father making a 3ft hole about 2' dianpmeter and setting
ours on concrete.

Within a year it was about 20 degrees of the vertical.

Eventually it was tied to an apple tree that was high enough.

Remember a washing line is the reverse principle to a scissor jack. You
can multiply the weight of washing by a fairly large factor in terms of
the lateral thrust on the line top.

It wont fall over, but it will creep gently degree by degree till it
looks like a dead elephants dick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
[...]

Ignore that. Even if it starts vertical it won't be by the time its has
some wshing hung on it a few times.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

I suspect you are not planning to put the pole in deep enough. I would
expect to need to bury about 1/3 of the length, rather than just 1/4. As for
putting it up, a Bobcat with a post hole borer would be fun and you would
get a nice large hole around the post you could fill with concrete for extra
stability.

Colin Bignell

Precisely. See man talking about 'wiggling a post around' to make a hole
bigger.

The post itself will do that.

I would say that something like 4-6' down or what is essentially a
cantilever. With soil rammed back HARD.

Or that neat trick someone described with a gatepost.. weld the post to
a substantial lateral udeground member and bury a few square meters of
it somewhere.

I.e. think tree, where the tree doesn't go deep, but its roots spread
over a HUGE area.

Even those blow over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
1 Obtain a shorter piece of same dia scaff pole.

Much snippage

I like the cut of your jib, young RW, and plan to follow your suggestion to
the letter - as soon as I've tried the hose pipe method. Just because I want
to, and I can for it is my pole. I'm seeing all sorts of things going wrong,
most involving me getting very wet.

Everything depends on the ground conditions, but the hosepipe method is
likely to produce a slack, conical hole in ground that has been made
very soft... all exactly what you *don't* want for a clothes post.

Another twist on RW's method is to cut two big, strong teeth into the
end of the short piece and use it as a rotary core drill. With the help
of a handlebar (another piece of scaff and a clamp) and a spirit level
to keep it vertical, this will go down quite easily into most types of
soil. A *small* amount of water helps as a lubricant, but it's the
back-and-forth turning motion that's doing the digging. Drill down until
the tube becomes solidly plugged with mud, then pull out the tube, clear
out the plug and repeat.

Unless you run into something big and completely immovable, it should
only take a few minutes to get down 2-3ft. With care you'll have a tight
vertical hole in solid undisturbed ground. The long post should then tap
snugly into place.

To prevent the sideways load from enlarging the top of the hole, you can
dig out a 1ft cube around the base of the post *after* you've installed
it, and throw in some concrete to increase the load-bearing area. (If
you're determined to use the hosepipe method, you will definitely need
to do this, but once again do it *after* you have installed the post.)

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:51:47 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

A "ground screw"?. 'tis such a beast:

http://www1.krinner.de/schraubfundamente.html

(which will eventually let you set the language to English if you persevere, or
pretend to be in Kanada.)

I got a generic one cheap, about two feet long, for something like five Euros,
from a B&Q-equivalent. Stick the supplied cross bar in, turn until the top's
just about level with the ground. Then there's plastic rings to shim to the
pole, and a screw to hold it in a bit.

The fancier ones on the site listed have a cunning arrangement of several
eccentric rings so that one can set the pole vertical if the screw isn't. My
cheap imitation holds a 4 m umbrella thing upright in stony ground for as long
as I need it. Takes about two minutes to install and less to remove, if one can
still find the cross bar.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Then use a conventional post rammer - one of those two handled fat
heavy tubes with a flat plate welded over the top end. My concern re
the hose pipe method is that you are softening the ground precisely
where you want it firm. Alternatively wack in a shorter length of
scaffold pole so the top is (say) 6" below ground level, join on you
full length with a scaffold joiner of the type that goes inside the
tubes, then concrete over the joint.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

Yes, entirely feasible. I put in two 6m scaffold poles with 1.5m below
ground.

Hire a post hole borer with a 150mm auger and a 1m extension bit
(depending on how deep you want to go). I would recommend you go for the
two man version though :-) It cost me about £25 quid for a mornings
hire. Lovely neat hole, very quick and hardly any soil to get rid off.

If you do opt for a drymix concrete afterwards, use a length of 2x2 to
ram it hard down around the pole.

Hth
Someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

If this thread doesn't stop getting any more outlandish methods posted -
I'll come round and dig the bl**dy thing myself for nothing :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jun, 23:49, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
RW wrote:
1 * Obtain a shorter piece of same dia scaff pole.

Much snippage

I like the cut of your jib, young RW, and plan to follow your suggestion to
the letter - as soon as I've tried the hose pipe method. Just because I want
to, and I can for it is my pole. I'm seeing all sorts of things going wrong,
most involving me getting very wet.

Si

Well whatever way you do it without a concrete collar or weight, just
be brave enough to come back in 6 months time and tell us if the pole
is still as vertical as you put it in. The plonkers in the garden
next door did something similar and both poles are leaning inwards by
about 20 degrees.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Well, a couple of weeks ago I thumped a two foot length of scaffold
pole into our orchard for the wifes washing spinner thing by simply
hitting it with a 14 lb sledge hammer. No issues and entirely
satisfactory.

AWEM

Hah! but e's pole is bigger than yours by about another 5ft to 6ft.?

Correct. My pole is ~10' in its socks. I'm not wielding my big 'ammer on the
top rung of a ladder. Right next to the greenhouse too!

Si

Try a post driver.

They're cylindrical with two handles and you slot them over the top of
the post and thump thump thump. Job done. You can hire these.

dan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Franko wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy,
iron scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet.
What's the best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about
someone using water from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground
but it was lacking detail. Any suggestions? What about a scaffold
pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

If this thread doesn't stop getting any more outlandish methods
posted - I'll come round and dig the bl**dy thing myself for nothing
:-)

All you need is a pole some 7,926 miles long, threaded at both ends. Hammer
down using any previous method discussed until only 12' extends above
ground.

Take flight to Australia & use nut & very large washer to secure, remove any
excess using angle grinder.

Simple, yet effective.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

BRILLIANT - best idea yet and one most likely to last the test of time. If
you can make the other end emerge in the middle of Ayres Rock that would
help with the stability somewhat.
Franko.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:56:22 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Franko wrote:
[...]

You forgot to mention that, for increased stability, you can pack and
small gaps round the pole with car body filler.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Franko wrote:
[...]

ROFLMAO!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Franko wrote:
[...]

Not very useful though.
I recommend tying the line to a weight in synchronous orbit and then you can
rent out bits of it to other people..
advertising on the bottom 30 foot..
phone masts above that..
military comms above that..
windmills above that..
MANs above that..
WANs above that..
SKY..
NASA..
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:56:22 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Franko wrote:
[...]

But what the pole comes out in the Indian Ocean? His garden will be
filled with sea water.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mark wrote:

But what the pole comes out in the Indian Ocean? His garden will be
filled with sea water.

Knock it off line a bit further and it might come up under Saudi...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Franko wrote:
[...]

RW has already covered that "ENSURE UPRIGHTYNESS WITH LEVEL".

In any case the car body filler would stop the leak.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Mark wrote:

But what the pole comes out in the Indian Ocean? His garden will be
filled with sea water.

Knock it off line a bit further and it might come up under Saudi...

.... and drain away that Kingdom's oil wealth within hours!

I can but dream. ;-)

digging a shallow well andyv UK diy 20 June 13th 06 06:09 PM
digging spike - where can I get one Joan Riley UK diy 21 March 13th 06 09:23 AM
'Digging in the dirt...' a Home Repair 11 July 26th 05 02:10 AM
Digging a pit Mike Mitchell UK diy 129 August 18th 04 11:51 PM