Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joan Riley

Default digging spike - where can I get one

Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried every search engine
I can find as well as ebay.
tia
remove 'spam' from email to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 22:51:23 +0000, Joan Riley
wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried every search engine
I can find as well as ebay.
tia
remove 'spam' from email to reply

A specalist tool shop, not you B&Q's but a pro tool shop, normally
found on industrial estates, and where you empty your wallet several
times over - cause of all the sexy toys.

There is one in Chester behind B&Q if you are in that sort of area.

I reckon any half decent smithy will make you one. I have one, about 1
1/2 inch diamater, and it has a bend in it, which was added during
"normal" use.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:04:10 +0000, Andrew Heggie
wrote:

Joan Riley wrote:

I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long

How about asking a farmer for a spike from an old silage fork?

A few (well, quite a few!) years ago the GPO used to have a
"percussion pick" (they called it a "Picks Percussion"), which was a
sort of slide hammer with "chisel" and "diamond" bits for the end,
designed for breaking up concrete. It might be worth looking for
something like that, although Google only brings up musical
references!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Neil

Joan Riley wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried every search engine
I can find as well as ebay.

I know them as fencing bars although they do go under different names,
including crow bars. There are many different sizes, weights, and end
configurations available (I have two different types for different
jobs). You could try any agricultural suppliers, fencing suppliers,
forestry suppliers, etc.

There is one called a crow bar he

http://www.stantonhope.co.uk/shop/default.asp

There also used to be a very good selection he

http://www.mphhiregroup.sageweb.co.uk/

Both companies do mail order although P&P may be a little high for such
a heavy, unwieldy item. However, the type of companies may give you
ideas of where to look in your local area.

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joan Riley wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried every search engine
I can find as well as ebay.
tia
remove 'spam' from email to reply

Look on this page of the Cromwell Tools catalogue is this what you are
after?
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/static/pub.../pages/880.pdf

Buck & Hickman sell similar stuff also
http://bhinone.farnell.com/jsp/bespo...nchlocator.jsp

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , Andrew Heggie
writes
Joan Riley wrote:

I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long

How about asking a farmer for a spike from an old silage fork?

I think he means *crow bar*. The one I use has the date 1914 stamped on
the shaft. Presumably ex. WD.

Point of information...

Lorry half shafts are a source of cheap hardenable round bar. I use them
a tines for my Manitou muck fork.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Joan Riley wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried every search engine
I can find as well as ebay.
tia
remove 'spam' from email to reply

They don't show pictures but they are at the bottom of link.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=112&r=2094
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Joan Riley wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried every search engine
I can find as well as ebay.

What you want is one of these http://tinyurl.com/jpeht
but I don't know where in the UK you can find them.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

Get one of those, angle grinder the end off

Personally I'd keep it double ended. If I wanted something to chisel on,
I'd use something a lot shorter and controllable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Joan Riley" wrote in message
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried every search engine
I can find as well as ebay.
tia
remove 'spam' from email to reply

=================
If it's actually to be used for digging and clay breaking then the chisel
end is far more useful than the spike end. The spike end on mine has become
a 'mushroom' head from much serious bashing. You'll probably need to use a
sledge hammer with this bar rather than a lump hammer if you're doing any
really heavy work.

The one from Machine Mart (shown in printed catalogue) is Item CHT328 at:
www.machinemart.co.uk

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joan Riley

Thanks to everyone who replied. It's good to know there are so many
helpful people around.
I think I will go for the spike/chisel one and grind one end down.

remove 'spam' from email to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
crb

Joan Riley wrote:
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.

I bought one at Hunter Tools of Godalming, Surrey. I also thought the
flat end was for wacking with a sledgehammer, but I was told don't do
this - that end should be used as a tamping tool, and might crack if
hit with a sledgehammer.

CRB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Joan Riley wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

You could always cut the end off.

If you've got a five foot steel bar in your hands why do you need a
hammer anyway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joan Riley

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:19:01 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
Joan Riley wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

You could always cut the end off.

If you've got a five foot steel bar in your hands why do you need a
hammer anyway?

Because we have very rocky ground, rocks ranging from an inch or two
across to large boulders (a couple of feet across) with only 3 inches
of soil on top.

Joan
remove 'spam' from email to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 22:51:23 +0000, Joan Riley wrote:

chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

If you are planning to bash this with a sledge hammer, forget it.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:46:37 +0000, Joan Riley wrote:

If you've got a five foot steel bar in your hands why do you need a
hammer anyway?

Because we have very rocky ground, rocks ranging from an inch or two
across to large boulders (a couple of feet across) with only 3 inches
of soil on top.

But hitting this bar with a hammer won't do anything. It weighs much
more than the heaviest sledge-hammer, so all that will happen is that
you will get very hot.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Joan Riley" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:19:01 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
Joan Riley wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

You could always cut the end off.

If you've got a five foot steel bar in your hands why do you need a
hammer anyway?

Because we have very rocky ground, rocks ranging from an inch or two
across to large boulders (a couple of feet across) with only 3 inches
of soil on top.

Joan
remove 'spam' from email to reply

=======================
I think you're looking at the wrong tool if you want something for rock
breaking. This bar is best used in conjunction with a spade to break up
compacted ground rather than serious rock breaking. There is another tool
which has a sliding / impact mechanism which may be more suited to your
purpose. I can't remember the name or give you a source but I'm sure
somebody here will give you the details.

If you could give some idea of what you want to do (dig postholes....?)
there might be better suggestions for a suitable tool.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
crb

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

If you are planning to bash this with a sledge hammer, forget it.

Actually, that can work quite well. I needed to break up some large
flint rocks when I was digging out a soakaway underneath my
now-redundant in-ground swimming pool, and this was the only way I
could think of to reach 4 feet or so under the pool with the required
force. Despite the advice I received not to hit it, I made up a wooden
box that fitted over the tamping end to contain any steel bits that
might break off, lightly wedged the tool in place, donned a face mask
and hit away. After some effort, the flint broke up nicely and I
fished out the small bits with a modified garden hoe. But you are right
, it is hot work.

CRB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith_765

"Joan Riley" wrote in message
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried every search engine
I can find as well as ebay.
tia
remove 'spam' from email to reply

Have you tried an ex army surplus store.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Joan Riley wrote:
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:19:01 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
Joan Riley wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for a digging spike (or whatever it is called). It is
similar to a wrecking bar but is straight and about 5 feet long with a
spike at one end and a flat at the other for hitting with a hammer.
There is something similar in Screwfix but it a spike at one end and a
chisel at the other so I can't bash it without ruining the chisel end.

You could always cut the end off.

If you've got a five foot steel bar in your hands why do you need a
hammer anyway?

Because we have very rocky ground, rocks ranging from an inch or two
across to large boulders (a couple of feet across) with only 3 inches
of soil on top.

But the bar is considerably heavier than a big sledge hammer - just
pounding the rock with the bar should be more effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
crb

Rob Morley wrote:

pounding the rock with the bar should be more effective.

Sorry, it isn't - I tried it!. Kinetic energy considerations?

CRB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message .com, crb
writes

Rob Morley wrote:

pounding the rock with the bar should be more effective.

Sorry, it isn't - I tried it!. Kinetic energy considerations?

Farm use is generally for creating fencing post holes in relatively soft
ground. As the sledge is to hand, a few whacks will bypass an
inconvenient flint. Eye protection is rarely worn in these circumstances
so grinding back the mushroom head is a sensible precaution.

regards

--
Tim Lamb