Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MAPP oxy torches?

Mapp-oxy (correct spelling and capitalisation?) seems to be a good
alternative to Oxyacetylene for DIY purposes (ie, heating up seized things),
but I've not got a clue where to get it. Can I get it in self sealing cans
and screw it onto a normal blowtorch head, or do I need a specially designed
setup?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 11:33*am, "Doki" wrote:
Mapp-oxy (correct spelling and capitalisation?) seems to be a good
alternative to Oxyacetylene for DIY purposes (ie, heating up seized things),
but I've not got a clue where to get it. Can I get it in self sealing cans
and screw it onto a normal blowtorch head, or do I need a specially designed
setup?

Hi

I've got a Bernzomatic TS7000 torch with a MAPP cartridge on it. Cost
is around £55 from B&Q. It is superb - lights instantly first time
every time and is ridiculously hot. Easily capable of driving residual
moisture out of pipes whilst soldering.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:
On Jun 14, 11:33 am, "Doki" wrote:
Mapp-oxy (correct spelling and capitalisation?) seems to be a good
alternative to Oxyacetylene for DIY purposes (ie, heating up seized
things), but I've not got a clue where to get it. Can I get it in
self sealing cans and screw it onto a normal blowtorch head, or do I
need a specially designed setup?

Hi

I've got a Bernzomatic TS7000 torch with a MAPP cartridge on it. Cost
is around £55 from B&Q. It is superb - lights instantly first time
every time and is ridiculously hot. Easily capable of driving residual
moisture out of pipes whilst soldering.

Can you get steel glowing with it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 6:05*pm, "Doki" wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Jun 14, 11:33 am, "Doki" wrote:
Mapp-oxy (correct spelling and capitalisation?) seems to be a good
alternative to Oxyacetylene for DIY purposes (ie, heating up seized
things), but I've not got a clue where to get it. Can I get it in
self sealing cans and screw it onto a normal blowtorch head, or do I
need a specially designed setup?

Hi

I've got a Bernzomatic TS7000 torch with a MAPP cartridge on it. Cost
is around £55 from B&Q. It is superb - lights instantly first time
every time and is ridiculously hot. Easily capable of driving residual
moisture out of pipes whilst soldering.

Can you get steel glowing with it?

Never tried... I'll give it a go tomorrow if you like.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:
On Jun 14, 6:05 pm, "Doki" wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Jun 14, 11:33 am, "Doki" wrote:
Mapp-oxy (correct spelling and capitalisation?) seems to be a good
alternative to Oxyacetylene for DIY purposes (ie, heating up seized
things), but I've not got a clue where to get it. Can I get it in
self sealing cans and screw it onto a normal blowtorch head, or do
I need a specially designed setup?

Hi

I've got a Bernzomatic TS7000 torch with a MAPP cartridge on it.
Cost is around £55 from B&Q. It is superb - lights instantly first
time every time and is ridiculously hot. Easily capable of driving
residual moisture out of pipes whilst soldering.

Can you get steel glowing with it?

Never tried... I'll give it a go tomorrow if you like.

Ta. That's what's really needed for a replacement to Oxy acetylene for
undoing seized stuff on cars. Get it stinking hot quick sharp and near
enough anything will undo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup submitted this idea :
I've got a Bernzomatic TS7000 torch with a MAPP cartridge on it. Cost
is around £55 from B&Q. It is superb - lights instantly first time
every time and is ridiculously hot. Easily capable of driving residual
moisture out of pipes whilst soldering.

Around £30 or less on ebay +P&P.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup brought next idea :
On Jun 14, 6:05*pm, "Doki" wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Jun 14, 11:33 am, "Doki" wrote:
Mapp-oxy (correct spelling and capitalisation?) seems to be a good
alternative to Oxyacetylene for DIY purposes (ie, heating up seized
things), but I've not got a clue where to get it. Can I get it in
self sealing cans and screw it onto a normal blowtorch head, or do I
need a specially designed setup?

Hi

I've got a Bernzomatic TS7000 torch with a MAPP cartridge on it. Cost
is around £55 from B&Q. It is superb - lights instantly first time
every time and is ridiculously hot. Easily capable of driving residual
moisture out of pipes whilst soldering.

Can you get steel glowing with it?

Never tried... I'll give it a go tomorrow if you like.

Steve

Around 1750 to 1900 deg C.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jun, 11:33, "Doki" wrote:
Mapp-oxy (correct spelling and capitalisation?) seems to be a good
alternative to Oxyacetylene for DIY purposes

It's a lousy alternative to oxy-acetylene (can't weld with it), but
it's a tolerable substitute for oxy-propane that doesn't involve
rental on an oxy cylinder. OTOH, burners are cheap (eBay!) and simply
using a bigger propane-air burner often gets the job done. Personally
I don't bother, but a gunsmithing friend swears by it.

Even cheaper, are a few firebricks:
http://www.codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/techniques/hearth.htm

MAPP is good, but best at small stuff, where you can't otherwise
tolerate a simple huge burner. Once you've found a supplier, standard
screw-on propane or propane/butane mix disposables are all compatible
with it. I've never seen MAPP in anything bigger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 6:52*pm, "Doki" wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Jun 14, 6:05 pm, "Doki" wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Jun 14, 11:33 am, "Doki" wrote:
[...]

Sunday morning - what better to do than a bit of mindless playing with
fire

30 seconds to bring 10mm threaded steel bar to glowing point.

A couple of pictures he-

http://gallery.mac.com/loopylup#100096

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 8:50*pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
stevelup submitted this idea :
is around £55 from B&Q. It is superb - lights instantly first time

Around £30 or less on ebay +P&P.

Don't doubt it - I just needed one *right now* one day a while ago -
you know what it's like...

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup formulated on Sunday :
Don't doubt it - I just needed one *right now* one day a while ago -
you know what it's like...

Well I've fancied getting one for a while, so today I treated myself. I
saw a new Bernzomatic TS7000 torch head for £20 at a car booty and took
the plunge. Then searched around for gas and fund none, so I ended up
at B&Q. It seems the head will run on three different gas tanks, all
about the same size. (Correct me if I'm wrong -) Butane canister, blue
propane and the most expensive - a yellow tank with which you can
produce enough heat to braze at almost £14.

It has a very tightly formed flame and can certainly bring rusted steel
nuts and bolts quickly up to red heat.