Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rolson Tools....Cheese or Granite

OK..........They're cheap and chuckable. But, when advertised as "Tradesman"
tools
Don't.....Just don't......ever.....ever .... buy their screwdriver sets
unless you need some old shyte steel for making hairpins.

First set.....harder than granite and just as brittle....." Hammer Through"
it said on the pack. Didn't need to hammer them to break any, just normal
use on stubborn screws.
Second replacement set softer than fresh laid dog turd !

Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more years
and they still do the job well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:42:25 +0100, "RW" wrote:

Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more years
and they still do the job well.

Wiha, via Axminster. Not expensive either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW coughed up some electrons that declared:

OK..........They're cheap and chuckable. But, when advertised as
"Tradesman" tools
Don't.....Just don't......ever.....ever .... buy their screwdriver sets
unless you need some old shyte steel for making hairpins.

First set.....harder than granite and just as brittle....." Hammer
Through" it said on the pack. Didn't need to hammer them to break any,
just normal use on stubborn screws.
Second replacement set softer than fresh laid dog turd !

Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more years
and they still do the job well.

Wera. Not cheap but very very good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RW wrote:
OK..........They're cheap and chuckable. But, when advertised as
"Tradesman" tools Don't.....Just don't......ever.....ever .... buy
their screwdriver sets unless you need some old shyte steel for making
hairpins.

First set.....harder than granite and just as brittle....." Hammer
Through" it said on the pack. Didn't need to hammer them to break any,
just normal use on stubborn screws. Second replacement set softer than
fresh laid dog turd !

Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more
years and they still do the job well.

If you want inexpensive tools that are decent quality check out Lidl - but
you'll have to look for a 'special' day.

Kamasa - at one time at least - were a quality brand. I've got one of
their socket sets which is excellent.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
Wera. Not cheap but very very good.

I'm not so sure. I've managed to wear out the pozidriv one in my set. The
diamond coating didn't protect it for that long.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:42:25 +0100, "RW" wrote:

Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more
years and they still do the job well.

Wiha, via Axminster. Not expensive either.

Wickes do some good ones
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Screwdrivers...et/invt/167313 I've been
beating seven bells out of mine for a couple of years now.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:42:25 +0100, "RW" wrote:

Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more
years and they still do the job well.

Wiha, via Axminster. Not expensive either.

Wickes do some good ones
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Screwdrivers...et/invt/167313 I've been
beating seven bells out of mine for a couple of years now.

The best screwdriver I've got came with the Meccano chiming clock kit
around 30 years ago, I kid you not. Just right hardness blade, and
very comfortable handle. It used to have "Meccano" engraved in the
handle, but I've worn that off.

The next best ones were a few single ones I bought from Halfords, but
as that was over 20 years ago, it's probably not a useful guide to
whatever they sell nowadays.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The next best ones were a few single ones I bought from Halfords, but
as that was over 20 years ago, it's probably not a useful guide to
whatever they sell nowadays.

I have some Halfords of that vintage, plain black handles - I think
they're rebranded Spiralux - not their top of the range, but quite
decent.

Recently bought best would be Wera slipstop - expensive but a real
"notch above" on quality compared to most.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
The next best ones were a few single ones I bought from Halfords, but
as that was over 20 years ago, it's probably not a useful guide to
whatever they sell nowadays.

Halford's pro range of spanners/sockets is pretty good - it's what I buy
if I'm missing one. Not sure if they do the same with screwdrivers.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

Kamasa - at one time at least - were a quality brand. I've got one of
their socket sets which is excellent.

I have several Kamasa tools which were made/bought when they were being
produced in Japan (or so I believe) and they are every bit the equal of
Snap-On or Britool. About 20 years ago the quality of Kamasa took a
definite downturn and I wouldn't bother with them any more.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:02:36 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

I have several Kamasa tools which were made/bought when they were being
produced in Japan (or so I believe) and they are every bit the equal of
Snap-On or Britool.

If they're 25-30 years old and branded as Kamasa "Texans", then peel the
sticker off the box and read where it has "Snap-on" stamped into it, who
were who actually made them for the US-market. A set of these were my
first Snap-ons.